Looks like its official now?

Archos Intel based Laptops

Would you buy an Archos 10 laptop over existing brands?

Yes (because i love Archos)
10%
Yes (I like the specs)
No votes
Maybe
3%
No (Other options already on market are better)
63%
Not a chance (Archos has a bad reputation)
20%
Other Reply (say what)
3%

Total votes: 30
Idire
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Looks like its official now?

Post by Idire »

Archos, the French PMP maker responsible for making ace media players (and charging separately for key features such as codecs), is joining the ever-more-diluted orgy known as the netbook market. It's bringing out the Archos 10 -- a 10.2-inch Intel Atom-powered netbook, with an LED-backlit screen.

Inside it's got 1GB of RAM, a 160GB hard disk, runs Windows XP, and offers Wi-Fi, Ethernet and USB connectivity options. Look closer and you'll notice it's also sporting a look on its face that says, "Please, I know I'm both late to the party and essentially pointless, but go easy on me, yeah?"

No, we shall not. You are a pointless product, Monsieur Dix, bringing to the party out-of-date cake that no-one wants to eat, while everyone else is contributing trifles with exciting new toppings.

But at least the Archos 10 appears to be, as DAPreview points out, just a rebadged laptop from Hasee (another French manufacturer), so we trust Archos didn't pump a billion euros into R&D that could've otherwise have been spent developing another sweet media player -- which the company is undeniably great at producing.

Pricing and availability should be ready later this year. We'll keep the four of you who care posted.

Lovely review I thought...but it looks like that IS what archos revealed at CES

Source: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029 ... 594,00.htm

And here is an image of the generic chinese laptop that archos is rebadging for resale:

Last edited by Idire on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archos 5, 250gb
Idire
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Looks like its official now?

Post by Idire »

Other pages to read:

http://stuff.tv/news/Archos-10-netbook-unveiled/11624/
http://www.cheaplaptops.org.uk/20090114 ... -ces-2009/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/14/unin ... announced/

Most of the website titles are on the vein of: "Archos announced uninspiring laptop"
Archos 5, 250gb
EKIMIKE
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EKIMIKE »

Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

I think it is a quick way to get into the netbook market -- and maybe that is enough to serve its purpose. I just wish there was something that would distinctly set this netbook apart from all of the other ones or to justify the price. It's large, has XP, limited to 160GB, has trial software, only has 802.11b/g, resolution not so great. There just isn't anything that stands out and says "buy me!". I think this netbook might be a difficult sell in the USA. But, it may be enough to get the Archos name and product into USA retail stores.
Riche09
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Riche09 »

If i wanted a laptop that was small i'd save up and buy a decent one.

I got the A7 for that reason as it does the basics i want. But Archos need to get their act together it should Quality rather than Quantity £300 + is a lot of money to spend on an item that is only supported for a bit more than a year.
Idire
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Idire »

Agreed, there are much better alternatives that already exist from more reliable companies.

Very disappointing to be honest.

To compete with current netbooks Archos should be selling £150 cheaper, and have something DIFFERENT to the others - like extra software - maybe a media playing setup.

All it has is rubbish trial software.

Buy an asus or advent tbh.
Archos 5, 250gb
Riche09
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Riche09 »

If they Focused on Quality like i said and supported the A5 n A7 models for a good few yrs instead of 1 n a bit yrs it would be money well spent by them. As I got my A7 primarily as a Pic Viewer as its handy to show off my Portfolio to prospective clients - there are other photographers that use it like me. and anything that is £300+ should be supported for a few yrs not just one and a bit. its not a very good way of keeping loyal customers.

Return to “Archos 10, Archos 10S and Archos 13”