bas
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

NEW Archos announcement at CES 2009???

Post by bas »

Phusion
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: NEW Archos announcement at CES 2009???

Post by Phusion »

That looks rather interesting thank you very much. :)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

It could be an Archos 4G with phone functions and lighter perhaps flash based with SDHC slots to compete more against the iPhone 3G. And it could also be a new Archos TV+ version 2 that I think should start at $99 with only built-in Flash storage and work with NAS storage and USB hard drives for more storage. I think that the Archos TV+ version 2 should replace the DVR Station at $99, and the DVR Station should lower its cost to $59.

I am just speculating here. I am just writing here what I think Archos should do, but I really have no idea what they are doing.

The Archos 4G would of course not replace the Archos 5 and Archos 5G, it'd just be the little brother that could be more phone oriented with a built-in phoning-friendly microphone and speaker and perhaps also with Bluetooth and all the required standby phone power management. I would think that it would be best that it be SIP and Skype based VOIP only phoning functionality though. So Archos should do the first data-centric phone and have all the Archos multimedia functionality in there and a 4.3" screen at least, perhaps OLED capacitative touch-screen if that one is available already.

Of course then the Archos 5 and Archos 5G should also get SIP and Skype functionality in a fimware update using the FM remote for the microphone or using somekind of new Phone dock which has that standby battery power managment inside of it so that it can wake the main Archos up from standby on incoming VOIP calls and any specified session pings (such as IM, Chat, Email and others). That Phone dock could also have a built-in microphone and bluetooth, a connector for the FM remote or a special phone headset remote with numbers, shortcuts and small LCD on the remote. At least that's what I think (and that I have posted here for some months).
Jayayess11901
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jayayess11901 »

Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

if it truely is i now know what will replace my tablet PC in the future or what will replace my 604wifi when it finally dies. i hope it is and i hope they come to a store near me so i can get my finger prints on it.
MY SIGNATURE
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Where did this Archos laptop rumor originate? blogeee.net is the source?

Putting an Archos brand on an Intel netbook design from Taiwan would be potentially pretty easy to do. If it's a Texas Instrument Cortex platform running Google Android Linux OS then it would really be revolutionary.
Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

i dont know whats in it or where it originated. i kinda hope it something different and interesting.
MY SIGNATURE
Jayayess11901
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jayayess11901 »

Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

looks like it may very well be a netbook. cool. :shock:
MY SIGNATURE
gylman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gylman »

Gawd. I hope that's just a hoax.

Archos would be totally insane to get into the low margin world of the netbook. Just insane.

They have a niche product that they should be exploiting maximally.

It's gotta be a hoax.
Jayayess11901
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jayayess11901 »

gylman wrote:Gawd. I hope that's just a hoax.

Archos would be totally insane to get into the low margin world of the netbook. Just insane.

They have a niche product that they should be exploiting maximally.

It's gotta be a hoax.
It is most likely real. BlogEEE in the past has gotten the scoop on a lot of new netbooks before they were officially announced.
Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

i personally think that it may make archos a bigger name, especially if the netbook takes off in 2009. i would seriously consider an archos netbook for replacement of my 604wifi or my toshiba protege m200 or maybe one just for travel and around college campus/anything mobile but classes. i hope it wont be locked down with some special OS and a small HDD. that would be disappointing. i also hope that it wont be gutless and have a decent RAM, CPU and video.
MY SIGNATURE
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Redneck wrote:i hope it wont be locked down with some special OS and a small HDD. that would be disappointing.
You are missing the advantages there would be if Archos were to release the worlds first ARM Cortex Android laptop with a Pixel Qi screen. It would be cheaper, have a much longer battery life, perhaps 15-20 hours, it'd have video and multimedia powers that no netbook has, such as built-in video recording, full HD codecs playback with HDMI digital HD output, instant-on, instant-resume, faster instant usage of optimized software features.. So yeah, if they made an Android OS laptop running on 8GB flash memory, even with full HDMI, video inputs and outputs on the back, built-in HSDPA, 10" pixel qi dual-mode sunlight readable screen, that configuration could be sold at below $300 today towards $200 later when Acer, Asus and the others lower their Intel Atom configuration prices.

But surely just shipping a pre-designed Intel Atom 160GB OEM product at around $400 retail (+$100 for built-in HSDPA) with Windows XP would be easier and faster thing to achieve. Even also an Intel Atom 8GB OEM with Linux starting at $300 for retail, if the Taiwaneese OEM manufacturer has such an entry model design ready and available.

Archos 10 8GB Atom Linux: $300/300Ôé¼ (competitor with a better screen then the Acer Aspire One A110L)
Archos 10 160GB Atom Windows XP: $350/350Ôé¼ (competitor of the MSI Wind U100-1616XP, with a better screen then the Acer Aspire One A110X)
Archos 10G 160GB Atom Windows XP: $450/450Ôé¼ (competitor with a better screen then the Acer Aspire One A150X UMTS)
Archos 10G 8GB ARM Linux: $300/300Ôé¼

That's what I'm guessing they could do. But who knows how reliable blogeee.net really are with this rumor...
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

It looks like it's the best netbook ever made:

Or at least, comparable to the MSI Wind, the Lenovo S10 and the Asus 1000AH.

That is based on the rumor from http://blogeee.net/2009/01/01/plus-dinf ... asee-q130/
gylman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gylman »

I can't believe it. No way. Rebranding a Chinese clone Netbook? Best netbook ever made?????? What a joke. Charbax, you're always cheering on anything and everything Archos, but seriously...

This is corporate suicide if true. Their margin would be tiny compared to the margin on an A5. And they would have to open up a whole new line of business in which they have no experience or special competence or cost advantage.

This would be the stupidest idea ever. The shareholders of Archos should fire the entire management if it's true.

The only sound choice for small companies like Archos is to exploit market niches. Otherwise they either get crushed by the big boys, or bought out by the big boys. Maybe that's it. Maybe the board is angling for Archos to get bought out by one of the industry titans. That's the only corporate sense I can make if this.

I am still convinced it's a hoax.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I have heard no official confirmation about this Archos laptop yet. Just the blogeee rumor so far.

But gylman has no idea about Archos margins. Think again if you think Archos has large margins on the Archos 5 and Archos 7, they probably haven't, not until it is much more mass produced. To mass produce Archos needs more investment capital to supply the suppliers with enough advance payments at each manufacturing cycles so that the production volume is maximized according to their potential demand.

Doing this netbook costs Archos probably very little in terms of time, investment and engineering. It is an easy thing to do and a great opportunity.

Archos would be exactly like Dell and Apple. Those as well are just brands on devices that are totally designed, engineered, tested, assembled by Chinese and Taiwanese companies. Sure Apple does their own X86 OS and drivers and all that.

It is not a strategy shift for Archos it simply allows Archos to keep their R&D focused on their current and future Internet Media Tablets, going towards adding VOIP or smartphone functionality and potentially doing more set-top-boxes and even preparing ARM Cortex based laptops.

Picking a nice all black design, placing the Archos logo correctly, putting a nice all black default desktop background, perhaps configuring the laptop with a clean set of pre-installed applications, no antivirus just Google Chrome and other Google Pack applications. HSDPA built-in. Archos doesn't have to thus provide the cheapest entry level pricing and they can thus sell to the same Telecom companies that are right now considering selling the Archos 5G as well. This Archos netbook could be used to expand the brand recognition with Archos around Europe and potentially according to their agreement with the manufacturer it could be around the world.
gylman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gylman »

Charbax wrote:I have heard no official confirmation about this Archos laptop yet. Just the blogeee rumor so far.

Archos would be exactly like Dell and Apple. Those as well are just brands on devices that are totally designed, engineered, tested, assembled by Chinese and Taiwanese companies. Sure Apple does their own X86 OS and drivers and all that.

world.
Sure, just like Dell and Apple, but without the massive worldwide distribution and support network. Minor quibble :D

As for margin - you are right, I don't know the margins, but netbooks are a commodity - there are tons of different ones, and the distinguishing factor is cost over anything else. The A5 is not a commodity - no one else makes a similar product. Every principle of marketing I have ever learned and applied tells me that specialty items made by a single or small number of companies have higher margin than commoditized products.

Further, Archos is not a name that will just sell a device based on name recognition. Quite the opposite in fact. Except for the hard core who follow the PMP world, most people who buy netbooks will see the name "Archos" and go... "WTF?".

And then they will google Archos on the web and find this forum first, and they will look at all the people beefing about the current devices, and think.... "hmmmm, I think I'll buy a Dell".
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

You need to do your marketing lessons over again. And you need to pull your head out of your elbow once again and try to understand what differentiates the Archos brand from others.

Archos is awesomeness, every geek on this planet knows that. Sure geeks are only a small part of the worldwide population. But the geek market segment overlaps quite largely with the netbook buying market segment.

There are a few million geeks, IT geeks on this world. The major part of netbook sales goes to the geeks. The rest goes to people who just want to buy the cheapest laptop in the store.

Now add up knowing Archos is the best which all true geeks knows at this point, and point that fact towards a market segment of Netbook purchasers that grew from nothing to about 10 million sold units in just a year.

Now it's true it does all come down to distribution and marketing channels, though Archos can easily scale the volume of delivery dynamically following the demand that they manage to get. That's what the Chinese on-demand manufacturers are for, scaling production with demand.

Result = There is no risk taking whatsoever by the part of the Archos company nor shareholders.

No Risk Project = Even that much better of a good idea.

That is rule number 1 in the shareholder capitalism. Optimize your return potential. Increase revenue, increase profits.

Archos can most probably sell anywhere between 10 thousand and a million of these laptops over this year. For most probably exactly the same amount of risk taking, which is none. No R&D investment required, only just one more product for the Archos marketing teams to deal with. A more diversified portfolio, so what.

In the event that the Archos 10G is a quick and instant success, it'll give Archos the taste for investing some R&D work with the Shenzhen laptop manufacturer company to do the best and the cheapest ARM Cortex based Google Android laptop for a few months later.
gylman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gylman »

Well, I could disagree with that point by point, but let's agree to disagree.

If this device exists - I'll concede round one.

If a year from now this device exists and is considered successful, I'll paypal you enough money for a beer on me. Even at Paris prices.

Cheers.
Gyl
Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

Charbax wrote:
Redneck wrote:i hope it wont be locked down with some special OS and a small HDD. that would be disappointing.
You are missing the advantages there would be if Archos were to release the worlds first ARM Cortex Android laptop with a Pixel Qi screen. It would be cheaper, have a much longer battery life, perhaps 15-20 hours, it'd have video and multimedia powers that no netbook has, such as built-in video recording, full HD codecs playback with HDMI digital HD output, instant-on, instant-resume, faster instant usage of optimized software features.. So yeah, if they made an Android OS laptop running on 8GB flash memory, even with full HDMI, video inputs and outputs on the back, built-in HSDPA, 10" pixel qi dual-mode sunlight readable screen, that configuration could be sold at below $300 today towards $200 later when Acer, Asus and the others lower their Intel Atom configuration prices.

But surely just shipping a pre-designed Intel Atom 160GB OEM product at around $400 retail (+$100 for built-in HSDPA) with Windows XP would be easier and faster thing to achieve. Even also an Intel Atom 8GB OEM with Linux starting at $300 for retail, if the Taiwaneese OEM manufacturer has such an entry model design ready and available.

Archos 10 8GB Atom Linux: $300/300Ôé¼ (competitor with a better screen then the Acer Aspire One A110L)
Archos 10 160GB Atom Windows XP: $350/350Ôé¼ (competitor of the MSI Wind U100-1616XP, with a better screen then the Acer Aspire One A110X)
Archos 10G 160GB Atom Windows XP: $450/450Ôé¼ (competitor with a better screen then the Acer Aspire One A150X UMTS)
Archos 10G 8GB ARM Linux: $300/300Ôé¼

That's what I'm guessing they could do. But who knows how reliable blogeee.net really are with this rumor...
yes i was missing the pros for it. i was thinking it would be something like the EEE or Aspire One but with some special Archos OS. BTW, whats a Pixel Qi Screen? would an ARM processor give good power as well as battery life?
MY SIGNATURE

Return to “Archos 10, Archos 10S and Archos 13”