What is the best firmware?

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
GoToBed,Garfield!
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What is the best firmware?

Post by GoToBed,Garfield! »

I need your help, wonderful people. I just got my second Archos 5 (i got my first defected one replaced) and i dont want to install the newest firmware. Which firmware version should i go with. Id like to have one that allows the 22 hours of battery life. Thanx!
Muddy phalluses
juan13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: What is the best firmware?

Post by juan13 »

In my opinion 1.6.53
SHADO
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Post by SHADO »

juan13 wrote:In my opinion 1.6.53
Agreed. That seems to be the general consensus. Followed closely by 1.6.54, I believe.
30GB 605WiFi (x2)/250GB A5 IMT
kangaroo1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kangaroo1 »

I agree... 1.6.53.

When I got my 1st Archos last year, I installed 1.6.54 and I had nothing but problems. Luckily I was able to return it under a 30 day money back guarantee. When it was replaced I got 1.6.53 (link from Unionpac2004) and have not had any problems with any of the applications that I use......
Screwyluie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Screwyluie »

I also love .53, however it has network issues and since i use my network a lot, i choose to use 7.11 (I use the GF hacked 7.11 just to be clear) there are some people speculating that 7.11 has some random issues, and it may, but on the whole, for 95% of people it's stable and works well, and doesn't have the network issues that .53 and .54 have

just throwing that out there.

also you can try both, and using archos.g3nius.org/ guides you can revert your firmware to any version.

another thing to keep in mind, on the archos.g3nius.org site you can load a patched firmware, this has many advantages, the main one for most people will be the removal of the hard drive lock, so if your drive fails, which they often do, you'll be able to replace it without sending it to archos, and you can get those firmwares in versions .53 and up, so whatever one you want.

hope that helps
250gb 1.7.11
orbitor
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by orbitor »

I also agree; 1.6.53 seems to be the best for me, .54 and 7.11 are very problematic
GoToBed,Garfield!
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks so much guys! ill be looking into 1.6.53 soon. ill come by and fill you guys in my thoughts. yeah im a little apprehensive about using patched stuff n such cause i dont want to risk killing my 5 or anything. but who knows. also, i only use the internet (including radio and tv) so i dont know if i would encounter these network issues. or are you guys referring to general network thing?
Muddy phalluses
GoToBed,Garfield!
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Crap! i checked my firmware version (i hadnt frickin checked it before) and its 1.6.54. do you think this is still ok? is it in any way worse than 1.6.53? thanks again guys. youre really helpful! :)
Muddy phalluses
SHADO
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Post by SHADO »

GoToBed,Garfield! wrote:Crap! i checked my firmware version (i hadnt frickin checked it before) and its 1.6.54. do you think this is still ok? is it in any way worse than 1.6.53? thanks again guys. youre really helpful! :)
If it doesn't give you any serious problems, then it's ok. If you don't want to hack your Archos, and it's working ok, I say stay where you're at, firmware-wise. :)
30GB 605WiFi (x2)/250GB A5 IMT

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”