THE GPS FOR A5 and 605!!!

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
turbotony
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: THE GPS FOR A5 and 605!!!

Post by turbotony »

I had the 605 a year or so back, when I tried the installed it linked the 605 not the 5....once I was able to take the 605 off the archos site and register the 5 as the only unit I own...then the installer worked.....that is, with a new code from archos.
stsmurf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stsmurf »

Just being specific... but this is what i want to order correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-Car-Holder ... B0019OZ39E
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

I went to the link and whats funny is the archos5 is pictured in the gps, not the 605.
ParsonBoyles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ParsonBoyles »

I tried to download the installer when this post first went up, but it didn't work. And now they have pulled that whole FAQ thread from the site, and the link to download the installer file is dead.

I hope that they put up the A5 version soon. To put it up and then take it right down is frustrating, especially since I bought the GPS unit like six months ago or whenever the A5 first came out.

Can someone please post their working GPS installer they got from that link?
Team-Leader.com
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

The GPS_Installer.exe on archos.com was fake. The only thing you download is a 345 byte sized .exe file, which infact only contains the information to open a command console... It didn't work, but it obvious that they're busy with these GPS for Archos5 things :)

I guess that next firmware update will include the GPS fix
(the only thing they have to do is to update the GPS_installer.exe to get further than being stuck at the 605 check screen, but on the other hand, a lot of bugs need to be squashed. But I hope they'll just release it as a beta first. That brings the hopes up to us being able to make the GPS program better)

Personally I wouldnt mind a buggy beta, but i would just like to know that i didn't buy the GPS Cradle as a brick (a beautiful brick at that, but... yeh)
turbotony
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by turbotony »

Also, I used the CD that came with the GPS unit. The code that was on the CD did not work. Go to the archos site, remove your past player and register your new 5 as the ONLY player listed......get a new code from ...sorry to say...archos and try the cd/new code combo
nova
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nova »

i know this dead horse has probably been beaten here a million times, but the GPS function was a big reason i went with the A5. i understand that when i bought it back in november, the site said the functionality said "coming soon," but i'm pretty disappointed that it's yet to be provided.

i ride motorcycles, so i understand waiting for new parts (motorcycle parts backorders are the worst in the world), but when a particular functionality is touted to drive sales, it just seems wrong.

if/when apple comes out with a 60+gb touch, i think i'm there, and the A5 will be on the block. too many hiccups and delays.
mjposner
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: THE GPS FOR 5 (latest model)

Post by mjposner »

I got a white box GPS here at a circuit city close out. It has the correct connector for the new model and the documents talk about the 605 and a future model...

Of course I can't get past the 605 check screen, even with 1.6.03. After the 1.5.08 upgrade I got an e-mail from tech saying that it would work after the next firmware update..

I assume they are working on this.
Ebalcaen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Ebalcaen »

uhhh, the gps cd that i have has recognised my A5 since beta firmware... if anyone wants i can send them the .exe installer file to see if that works for them. My problem is that my map code doesn't work... i sent Archos an email... again, but this time not mentioning the A5 at all... Ill keep u guys updated.
Jesse5842
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jesse5842 »

If you could send me you installer file that would be amazing.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

could you please upload it somewhere so we can your .exe file directly?

Or send me and others with GPS a PM?
Ebalcaen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Ebalcaen »

ok, well once again tech support shut me down, saying that the A5 is currently not supporting the gps... As for that installation file, i'll try to upload it to either a free site, or my personal website. I'll post the link shortly.
Ebalcaen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Ebalcaen »

Ok, this is kinda confusing, so bare with me...
i have uploaded the installer file in two formats, one as the raw .exe, and since some browsers will not let you download an .exe file, i have also uploaded a .zip file.
I put the files on an FTP account located on my personal website.

to access the FTP site, type into windows explorer:

"ftp://[email protected]"

Password: "ARCHOS" CASE SENSITIVE!

Note: if it asks you for a username, type in

"[email protected]" as the username, NOT "archos-forums" as it will default to!

If you have any troubles, PM me.

Good luck
doesnotcompute
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by doesnotcompute »

Ebalcaen wrote:Ok, this is kinda confusing, so bare with me...
i have uploaded the installer file in two formats, one as the raw .exe, and since some browsers will not let you download an .exe file, i have also uploaded a .zip file.
I put the files on an FTP account located on my personal website.

If you have any troubles, PM me.

Good luck

Many thanks for the upload - however, when I run the .exe file, it simply tells me that the DVD I am using is not valid??? Is there way of getting at the relevant AOS file that I need to put on the Archos to enable GPS support?
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

ITS WORKING / INSTALLING!!!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Next problem:

When I click the Add-ons > GPS button the screen empties and it's loading but then goes abck to the "desktop".

Do I have to keep it connected to the computer / GPS-cradle to use it, because as I understood it wll also be available in demo mode if it's not connected?

I'll test further this afternoon, because I'm at work right now...
stsmurf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stsmurf »

HellFury wrote:
Do I have to keep it connected to the computer / GPS-cradle to use it, because as I understood it wll also be available in demo mode if it's not connected?
I assumed it would need to be in the GPS-cradle for it to work, but i didnt know anything about a demo. Could be firmware issue with the demo ;)
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

It is working. Great, I might add.

I've copied a couple of files, and needed to load the maps, but all in all, I had it working in half an hour. After a lot of playing with it, i tried to set it up in the car, but accidentally connected the wrong power supply :S Blew up that power suply, but the unit is still working :)

There is a demo mode stsmurf. You can "drive" the route you've suggested, while sitting on the couch, just holding the A5 without cradle or external powering of anything. I suggest you read the user manual archos provides on their website. I usually check online manuals so i know all the functions before i even have the product :)

If you don't but plan on buying without reading the manual, there's an easy learning the functions function in the software, that teaches you most of the functions.

After installing there are a few things I would like to point out, to see if you haev the same problems:
- I bought the european edition, but can only use the BeNeLux maps (belguim, netherlands, luxemburg)
- If I plan a route to POI, it goes back to A5 desktop
- if i go to second screen of advanced settings it goes back to A5 desktop
- I can't adjust volume with the A5 volume buttons (which isn't really a problem, but... yeah)

/ Edit / Found the edit button ;) I added a couple of problems. If multiple users add problems, it could become a sticky
TWELVEPACK
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by TWELVEPACK »

That's not gonna work that way if you wanna provide the username within the url link.The @ character separates the user from the server address.So can't have a @ within the username if you want build such an URL.

So you need to change your ftp user to: archos-forums

Then the URL provided : "ftp://[email protected]" will work.You can also incorporate the password in the url for convenience, the url does then look this way: "ftp://archos-forums:[email protected] ... r-free.com".

My vista IE could not download the file, so in case of problems i suggest to use a simple ftp client program.

regards,

TWELVEPACK
Archos 5 250GB
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

My XP Firefox 3.0 recognized the URL as FTP including Client / user log-in.

XP IE worked, with the username / log-in info.

Try a non-vista computer with older IE (not that i'm against Vista, i love it), but in this case just doesn't work.

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”