THE GPS FOR A5 and 605!!!

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
ahendy
Archos User
Archos User

THE GPS FOR A5 and 605!!!

Post by ahendy »

Hello ALL,
I could be wrong here but I just noticed that the Archos website has a discription of how to install the gen5 gps on an Archos 5, I figured I should post this so you can see wether it is correct or not, here is the link, ITS THE LAST FAQ UNDER INSTALLATION. http://www.archos.com/support/customer_ ... al&lang=en It says "will only install with the (white box) GPS". I have seen a gps for the 605 and it came in a black box, now I have a gps's that came in a white box, I think this is what they are talking about. If I made an error here sorry for any inconv. I just figured that if this works the A5 people would like to know. Sorry again if this is wrong.
Theguru
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: THE GPS FOR A5 and 605!!!

Post by Theguru »

You are right but i'm confused, how can we install it, if it isn't out yet???
ahendy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ahendy »

Theguru.
Im not a 100% sure but tomorow I have to call archos and talk to a supervisor at 3pm and I will ask. but I think its the gps that they started selling 6 months ago or so, because there was a gps for sale a while back for the gen5 that came in a black box, now they come in a white box plus the white box gps comes with the plug that gose to the A5 and a saperate one for the 605, and I think thats why they say in the faq "works with (white box) gps only". Like I said though I call archos tomorow and I will ask. I will post what they say.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I have a Archos 5 and a white GPS box (without Archos 605) and I will try when I get home (which is in 3 hours). If I can't fix it in 30 minutes you'll here it tomorrow :)
Theguru
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Theguru »

thanks guys please keep us up to date on that
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I've tried copying and pasting all, but archos says the file should be 1.4MB and when I download it, it is just 345Bytes! The result is that GPS_installer.exe just opens a command console and then stops... Maybe you guys could look at the file, because at work and working with firefox including noscript (guess that can't be the problem, but who knows)

BTW: If you just click the link it links you to a part of the site that not there, so richt click and save file as...
judgechuck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by judgechuck »

I can't download the file either. Getting a 404 error, which indicates that it doesn't exist...
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Right click and save file as...
There is no site it refers to, but it does refer to a file.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

One more thing:

I also tried the Mac/Linux install posibility, but after accepting the legal notice I have to click the 605 I have, which I don't... Strangely it's not possible to do this for the Archos 5 :( So there's a dead end too :(
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Tech support asnwers really quickly! This is the second time I've asked them a question via the support section on archos.com and both times the questions were answered within 2 hours!

That was, sadly, the good part, because the reaction assured me again that the GPS is not goign to work today:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,

We inform you that the GPS software is not yet supported by the unit, the GPS craddle purchased is given for working with an Archos 605.

Kind Regards,
Archos Technical Support

Thank you for choosing Archos products.
We also have at your disposal on our website, FAQ's, firmwares and drivers.

Feel free to visit our it at website : http://www.archos.com

Please note that for your convenience we also saved a full copy of the manual on your Archos under the data folder.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll reply to the e-mail with the exact website phrase where it states that you should download and copy the new installer for archos 5. Maybe it's something he doesn't know yet...
stsmurf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stsmurf »

Does the archos 5 fit in the cradle, and if so how much is it for just the cradle? (if thats even possible)

Or.

If i purchase the GPS will it eventually work with the archos 5? (mainly looking at mounting options for now)
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I managed to find one for the low LOW price of 5 euros!! After ordering they came tot the conclusion that they didn't have them and would need to order and eventually it would be 80 euros :( (still beats the archos shop 100 euros + 25 euros TNT delivery)

It does however fit very nice (like it should, it's designed for it indirectly) on first glance. I haven't tried very well because it wouldn't work just yet. There are multiple reviews of the dock, so I suggest to look for those.
turbotony
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by turbotony »

I bought the gen 5 for my Archos 5 and works ok...missing a few items while driving but still works.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Hey Turbo,
So irritating how some people can jsut install this device, and others can't...
How did you get through the 605 check?
ahendy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ahendy »

Hay,
I spoke with archos on the phone today about a different matter, and asked them about the FAQ that says how to install the gen5 gps to the A5. The man I spoke with said that the gen5 gps is the one that works with the A5, but he said that the most recent firmware was suppose to support the gps, but for some reasion only some A5's were able to receive the program comp. for it. He said thats why the FAQ is up there, its for the A5 owners whos device received the comp. program in this firmware. So I assume the next firmware will fix the problem so it will help some of you out, ether that or he was trying to blow smoke up my a*** :^o Well I hope everything works out for you guys, I am just glad that the gps worked for my 605.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Can you tell me just HOW you got it to work?

Did you just install using the CD?
Did you download the new GPS_installer.exe?
Did you copy the folder to your Archos 5?
Do you have it registered to an Archos 605?

I tried multiple ways, but I just can't install it :(
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

Yes instruction will be great.
drmichael
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drmichael »

turbotony wrote:I bought the gen 5 for my Archos 5 and works ok...missing a few items while driving but still works.
were you able to listen to music and use the GPS?
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

And Archos has shot down the part of GPS on the Archos 5 on their site...

*Waiting for next Firmware update-mode initiated* :(
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

BTW

Turbotony: Could you upload your GPS_installer.exe please? Maybe yours has the 605 check unlocked to Archos 5 in some way... :S

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”