Firmware Speculation

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
blandishment
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Firmware Speculation

Post by blandishment »

Unless I missed the memo it's been over a month without a firmware update for the IMT's. Plus, speculation and rumors in that area have been somewhat quiet! No one "who knows someone in tech support", or who "knows someone who dated a delivery guy that drops off returned units to Archos", etc.!!

I wonder when the next release will be and what it will bring! I can hardly wait! Perhaps the delay means they will have a good update for us. Perhaps the delay means they are focusing on the A10 and/or the Android and they've got nothing for us!

Who knows! I'm just hoping the next update brings some fixes for open issues and perhaps a goody or two!
EKIMIKE
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Firmware Speculation

Post by EKIMIKE »

Well I hope the next one brings alot of the promises to fruition. I've pretty much had my archos for only half of the 6 months since i bought it. That in itself is dissapointing and im finally popping for a full refund.

I'm kind of taking the view that if this next firmware doesn't produce what Archos have promised, then i will likely choose to invest my £250 elsewhere. It's a shame because i really like the device and can't really see anything else on the market that i like. I'm certainly not going to switch to Apple because iTunes is one big turd.

If this firmware produces, and i can get a 60gb model at a fairly local highstreet vendor then i'll be happy.

MiKE
blandishment
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blandishment »

I can understand your frustration. In my case it's just the bad internet experience, no browser/flash updates, totally impotent mail client, and waiting endlessly for the HD plugin that have soured me.

other than that I get a random crash sometimes once a day, sometimes, once every couple of weeks, but other than that it works fine.

It makes a great media player and I love the screen size and quality, but I did but it as an IMT, not just a media player.

I am really hoping the delay is because they are actually working hard to get many of the issues resolved, and not because they are focusing on a re-branded laptop or other new device.
Vistagamer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Vistagamer »

I mean it is possible that Archos isn┬┤t fixing our Problems and is writing the Android Based firmware for the next generation... Archos brings up every Year a new Gen and they have every year to write a firmware and that needs time...
I DONT THINK WE WILL SEE ANY FIRMWARE FOR THE 5/7/5g!

Vistagamer

PS: Adobe promised Flash 10 support for Android in end of 2009/start at 2010
unhip_crayon
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by unhip_crayon »

I think they want to make this next firmware count, so their adding a little extra time with it.
cmuralhas
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cmuralhas »

I think that from Archos we can't anymore know what to expect.

Are they thinking of their customers?

If YES then they must be working to solve issues and launch its promised plugins and accessories, however if that is the case don't understand why should they be so quiet...

If NO they are working on the next generation, but then I say: ONLY A FOOL will buy another device from them again. They won't trick me again if this is the case. Even if the other answer is the correct and a good firmware comes out soon, they have already done too much damage to their image... if nothing like this happens again for several future generations maybe I will trust on them again... I will be keeping an eye, for now I'm trying to find if I can do something to get a full refund from everything I bought of gen 6.
Carlos Muralhas
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

unhip_crayon wrote:I think they want to make this next firmware count, so their adding a little extra time with it.
Sounds reasonable. It must be very disheartening to them to post a fix and the see pages worth of more bugs within a few days.
slin555
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by slin555 »

i really hope for archos's sake they are spending all this time making a solid update that will give us all the features promised, especially the hd plugin and a fully functional gps if it doesnt come within the next month or the update is crap im sorry to say ill be selling my archos and filing complaints
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I've emailed them with a couple of problems i had with the GPS and DVR station. I also asked when the new firmware would be released, and the asnwer I got was "soon". Soon sounds positive, but on the other side, I've received this email last week... My guess is the new Firmware will be here This friday, 15:30 (amsterdam/Paris time)
judgechuck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by judgechuck »

Sweepstake, anyone? ;)

Friday 1500 GMT for me...
seanday145
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by seanday145 »

Hey call Vegas, like to see the odds on new Firmware? :roll: I hope its this friday.
sype
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sype »

I like the way HellFury thinks soon sounds positive.
The HD plugin has been coming soon for about 6 month.
Can anyone who speaks french tell me what soon means in france?
maybe soon translates to if we can be arsed.
judgechuck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by judgechuck »

Our Gallic neighbours do have a bit of a reputation for being "fluid" with timescales and generally have a "quoi?" demeanour, so "soon" could be anywhere between Friday and the day a French President does not have a mistress... ;)

(All a little tongue-in-cheek and also bearing in mind that my fiancee is French... ;) )
blandishment
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blandishment »

I would be both surprised and pleased if we saw a new version of firmware Friday. As to the odds, well, I called my bookie and asked about odds on firmware release this week, he said good odds and, with a hearty laugh offered to take lots of my money if I bet on it happening.

This made me feel uneasy for some reason!
johnnybongo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by johnnybongo »

i've waited and waited for the gps issue to be sorted, then i hit upon a solution - ordered a tom tom yesterday.
rickster
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by rickster »

reminds me of valve time, but valve actually releases good products

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
doesnotcompute
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by doesnotcompute »

According to Archos support, the update is coming towards the end of this month. We shall see how that pans out.

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”