Are you satisfied with your Archos 5?

Post by unhip_crayon »

Archos 5 Satisfaction Poll
Gwame
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Archos 5 Satisfaction Poll

Post by Gwame »

I'm satisfied, overall. There are many improvements I would like to see, but I'm satisfied.
Idire
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Idire »

Some Good points, but too many bad points prevents me from saying Yes.
Archos 5, 250gb
perrin21
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by perrin21 »

another surprising poll
tiny.cc/68BQe
blandishment
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Are you satisfied with your Archos 5?

Post by blandishment »

As much as I love my A5 as a media player, I had to vote no because it falls short on the Internet side, particularly in the areas of an impotent mail client and lack of regular updates on the browser and flash.
perrin21
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by perrin21 »

How can someone be undecided? They may as well not vote
tiny.cc/68BQe
cmuralhas
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cmuralhas »

perrin21 wrote:another surprising poll
Remember that many people bought Archos 5 for what it is, not for what it was promised by Archos on launch day.

I don't find it surprising that most people is happy with Archos 5, it is a good product on some areas (GOOD BIG SCREEN, GOOD PHOTO WALLET if you have the luck to find an Multi-Card reader that works with it, GOOD VIDEO PLAYER for supported video formats, GOOD Video Recorder for who didn't know Archos 605, etc...).

However that doesn't represent or replaces the wrong that Archos done to its customers. I had the Archos 605 and was EXTREMELY HAPPY with it, but was wrongly led to believe in some FANTASTIC evolution that Archos 5 supposedly had over the 605 (HDMI output on DVR Station - UNUSABLE it generates 1/3sec audio/video out-of-sync when recording, HD Plugin which Archos already sold me - WHICH HD PLUGIN???, TV Portation - TV WHAT???, E-MAIL on device - E-MAIL program IS UNUSABLE, etc, etc, etc...)

My recordings (my biggest Archos 605 use, and now Archos 5 use) are lower quality, more pixelized, at 2500Kbps on Archos 5 than what was on Archos 605... some advancement... I cannot say I'm happy with my Archos 5, I wished to not have fallen for Archos lies regarding its generation 6 and kept my good and faithful Archos 605.
Carlos Muralhas
kawiultraman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kawiultraman »

cmuralhas wrote:
I don't find it surprising that most people is happy with Archos 5, it is a good product on some areas (GOOD BIG SCREEN, GOOD PHOTO WALLET if you have the luck to find an Multi-Card reader that works with it, GOOD VIDEO PLAYER for supported video formats, GOOD Video Recorder for who didn't know Archos 605, etc...).
Frankly, I do find it surprising, to the point to suspecting ballot-box stuffing. :lol:
blandishment
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blandishment »

Well said cmuralhas!

I am very happy with what my A5 can do, though I had to vote no because I was one of the ones that expected good internet support and being able to use this more (not less) on the internet with it's bigger screen than my iPod touch. As a media player, particularly with video and pictures, it is awesome.
sfbarnes
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sfbarnes »

I'm in a similar boat to blandishment.

I REALLY like the large screen, video capabilities and being able to store all my music on the huge hard drive. I also like the Internet capability (screen size, flash, etc.) when it works. I like that it supports many more formats than the competition.

The down side as mentioned is actually connecting to the Internet - the other product (that shall remain nameless) is a better IMT since it can actually connect without sitting at the router to get signal.

Also, although I feel I've been patient, I'm not happy that it's February and GPS is still not working. I don't feel that the subnote and additional A5 features such as flac should be a priority over getting promised features to work with the new line.

My breakdown of use would be about 65% music, 5% video, 5% GPS, 25% Internet. I barely even attempt the Internet since it generally will not connect.

I like the features that work - a lot, but could not say I'm happy because of the Internet and GPS.
strikeback03
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by strikeback03 »

I'm happy, as for what I use it for (music, photo storage/display, internet) it works fine. Aside from work I rarely use e-mail (text/IM instead for personal stuff) so to just log on and check e-mail it works at this point.
cmuralhas
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cmuralhas »

cmuralhas wrote:
perrin21 wrote:another surprising poll
However that doesn't represent or replaces the wrong that Archos done to its customers. I had the Archos 605 and was EXTREMELY HAPPY with it, but was wrongly led to believe in some FANTASTIC evolution that Archos 5 supposedly had over the 605 (HDMI output on DVR Station - UNUSABLE it generates 1/3sec audio/video out-of-sync when recording, HD Plugin which Archos already sold me - WHICH HD PLUGIN???, TV Portation - TV WHAT???, E-MAIL on device - E-MAIL program IS UNUSABLE, etc, etc, etc...)

My recordings (my biggest Archos 605 use, and now Archos 5 use) are lower quality, more pixelized, at 2500Kbps on Archos 5 than what was on Archos 605... some advancement... I cannot say I'm happy with my Archos 5, I wished to not have fallen for Archos lies regarding its generation 6 and kept my good and faithful Archos 605.
ALL you who are happy with your Archos 5 please do not forget that the BAD that Archos has done to its customers, wasn't only done to the ones that are unhappy with Archos 5, it was to ALL OF ITS CUSTOMERS!!! And it certainly was also done to the future success of the company which we loved. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!
What we need to do is unite and show Archos to NOT DO IT AGAIN! I for one won't buy another single device from Archos if they can't get me to trust on them again, and that trust won't come from the road they are now.
Carlos Muralhas
zecher
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by zecher »

cmuralhas wrote:ALL you who are happy with your Archos 5 please do not forget that the BAD that Archos has done to its customers, wasn't only done to the ones that are unhappy with Archos 5, it was to ALL OF ITS CUSTOMERS!!!
Good point, but realize that some of us have had worse experiences with the company/product than others. It all comes down to what we plan on using the device for and sadly (in my case) sheer luck that you don't keep getting "defective" devices.
cmuralhas wrote:What we need to do is unite and show Archos to NOT DO IT AGAIN! I for one won't buy another single device from Archos if they can't get me to trust on them again, and that trust won't come from the road they are now.
Agreed, but this would require Archos to listen to us. And they don't. Personally, I don't think I will ever purchase another device in the future from Archos. As I've said before, I have had awesome experiences with previous Archos players I've owned, but my present experiences with them revolving around my Archos 5 has been absolutely terrible and are enough to turn me away completely from the company.
Evockzi
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Evockzi »

I am Satisfied if only it didn't break as easy as it did.

There for I am unsatisfied as I do not want a 400$ liability.

For the most part I only use it for listening to music, Reading Manga ( Big screen makes this very easy), Watching Videos occasionally... I rarely use the internet for anything important. If I were on 3G in a large City I could see that function of the 5 being more useful but meh.
blandishment
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blandishment »

It's been a month without new firmware....perhaps the next update will push more people over to the happy side from the unhappy side!
judgechuck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by judgechuck »

A good firmware update (resolving the issues that I am experiencing) would immediately make me change my vote from a "no" to a resounding "YES!"

I would still like the HD plug-in (which I have pre-paid for), but the core functionality is what is most important for me.
perrin21
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by perrin21 »

i think a good update would make everybody move to a yes, unfortunately their track record of updates is fix minor issues people never complained about.
tiny.cc/68BQe
contingencyplan
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by contingencyplan »

No: the HDD on mine was dead; it took them over 3 months to fix it. The resistive touch screen sucks too: it's nowhere near as responsive as Apple's products, and there's no App store/Android marketplace equivalent.
perrin21
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by perrin21 »

the undecideds should definately be moved to No. Otherwise they would be decidedly Yes.
tiny.cc/68BQe
gylman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gylman »

Err.... NO.

What if they are undecided because they are waiting to see the HD plugin?
Or because of a problem that is fixed with the next update?

People who are undecided might be finding their product usable and it does most of what they want, and are waiting for one more piece of information. That's what undecided means.

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”