Weird Recording Problem

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
derek1971
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Weird Recording Problem

Post by derek1971 »

I have been recording stuff from my Sky box to my Archos 5 to watch at work during lunch breaks etc. Until now i have had no problem. I am using the Sky box to record the stuff and then using the copy function to play it back and record overnight on the Archos.

The first few times i did this it worked fine. Two nights ago i copied over a film. The film was about 1hr 50 mins so i set it up to record for 2 hours and left it to it. When i checked the Archos the next morning the file i had was only 25 minutes long. So i just deleted it and last night set it up again. This morning i checked and again the file is only 25 mins long. The weird thing is this time i thought i would have a look to see where it cut out. On inspection the whole film is there. However, the first 23 mins or so plays normally and the remaining 1 hour 27 mins or so plays through at high speed.

Has anyone any ideas why this would be or how to sort it.

I have tried deleting the temp files and cache and will try again tonight to see if that helps but it just seems very odd to me.

I should also say that i have watched the film to past the point where it speeds up on the archos on the sky box to make sure there is not a problem with the original recording and it plays fine.
derek1971
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Weird Recording Problem

Post by derek1971 »

Just a quick update to say that having cleared the cache and temp files it seems to be working fine again :D
All very odd.

One other thing i did notice regarding recording from the sky box - on the archos at the bottom right there is a volume control for the audio when recording. I have noticed that if i have this anywhere over about half way the sound on the recording is very distorted. Just a quick heads up really in case anyone else does the same as me - copied over 3 2 hour movies and will have to do them all again so the sound is ok #-o
Sandyg
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sandyg »

Hi

Do you have audio synch problems when replaying on the Archos?
sandy
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Hey Sandyg, I do. I guess has to do mainly with an HDMI connection... Can you confirm this derek?
derek1971
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by derek1971 »

I find the audio sync to be very frustrating. On some of the programmes i have recorded the audio sync is absolutely fine. On others it is noticeably out - the audio is i would guess between 0.5s and 1s behind the video.

I can't however find any explanation for how this happens. I can record the same programme from my sky box twice and once it will be fine and the other there will be sync issues - and i mean copying the exact same recording twice not 2 different episodes of the same thing. I have this happen even if i have changed no other settings at all.

I have also seen people saying that the audio sync is much better if you disconnect the TV out before recording. My experience has been the exact opposite!

I just hope this is high up the list of fixes Archos are looking in to for the next firmware update.

I can also confirm that i have had sync issues using both the supplied scart lead to connect to the TV and also using an hdmi lead connected either directly to the TV or going via my AV amp.

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”