Archos 5 review - Part 4: Testing it outdoors and more..

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos 5 review - Part 4: Testing it outdoors and more..

Post by Charbax »

http://archosfans.com/2008/09/13/archos ... -speakers/

Flash versions and SD versions are coming up within the next half hour..
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Archos 5 review - Part 4: Testing it outdoors and more..

Post by Chengbin »

The screen looks great outdoors. What brightness is that on?
Gr.9 tech lover
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Max brightness, very viewable. And when you are not outdoors in direct sunlight, such as in any public transportation, the screen is like staring into a 42" plasma TV in your living room, it cannot get any better in a pocketable device.
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

I hope I will be blown away. And it looks like I will because I'm using the horrible 404 screen which is really pixelated and I'm blown away by the 605's screen. I will be spending some quality time with my Archos 5 in 2 months because I spend 1 hour each day on the bus to get to school. I just hope the battery life is good. My 404 can barely last 30 minute video and 1.5 hour audio...
Gr.9 tech lover
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

If you really spend 1 hour each day in the public transportation system, this is the perfect device for you. Just automatically download your top-2 or top-3 favorite shows automatically overnight, drag and drop the latest episodes every morning, and blam, you've got some quality entertainment for the whole ride. This way you save 1h each day actually, cause you don't have to watch those show live on TV, and you get to skip the ads. Sometimes, I wish public transportation was slower so that I would have more time to use my Archos in there, but once you are home, it's easy put in the DVR station and you can continue watching the rest of your shows on your TV.
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Will you be doing a battery life test?
Gr.9 tech lover
AndrewGarn
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AndrewGarn »

Thanks for the 4th part, I own a archos 5 now, but its interesting to see other peoples views, and see features i might not have seen.

What do you think archos will add to the firmware next?
Archos 5 250gb
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

I just want them to fix as many bugs as possible in the firmware updates.
Gr.9 tech lover
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

1. Push on Power button should put the device into Hold mode. (preference configurable in settings, Hold goes to suspend if nothing is going on)

2. I'm super looking forward to the 3G plus plugin so we can use HSDPA dongles on this. That is going to totally kick ass.

3. Of course can't wait for HD plugin to watch 720p movies on-demand on my HDTV. I think I'd gladly pay 2-4Ôé¼ per movie if they are delivered with a cool 4mbit/s 720p quality. Let's hope Paramount and Warner is in on this for worldwide distribution.

4. USB keyboard and Mouse please, with that, I may use my Archos 5 using HDMI on my HDTV as my new home computer instead of the dual-core laptop with 1280x720 DVI-output that I am currently using. Sure I'd also just expect them to slightly speed up the browser even more, load AJAX slightly faster (V8 engine browser upgrade) and it would work for me and for most people I would think.

5. On the HSDPA model, supporting Android apps is going to be crucial in about 3 months from now. Cause those Android apps are going to enable real cool location based and social networking stuff that you wouldn't want to have to buy another HSDPA pocket device to have access to.

6. Of course I expect Archos will release a bunch of bug fix firmware updates in the next few days and weeks to make sure everyone is 100% impressed with it and so that nobody has any complaints with it.
Euraty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Euraty »

Will the archos 5 actually be able to support google android applications or is that just a hope? Also, are the google android apps as good as the apps on the itouch/iphone because some of those apps are really cool although the archos doesn't have an accelerometer or multi touch.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

It's hope, like Obama, everything is possible..

Android apps should be better and more powerful then iPhone apps.
Euraty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Euraty »

that would we cool
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

duuudem, I like in holland. just had zome magix muchrooms, and your rewiew isreally fcool man! laughed zoso ahred. lol...
cghori
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cghori »

Hey Chengbin, I read on another thread that you have a GPS device. Are you old enought to drive?
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

No, I'm 14. My family owns a GPS device, and we use it a lot.\

BTW, I used to use it for walking too. But I stopped that after I got my cellphone which has GPS. 30 cents a day is pretty cheap, so now I use that.
Gr.9 tech lover
cjcox
Archos User
Archos User

Post by cjcox »

I wonder how the Cobert Report would look on it?

:)
ihanna
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ihanna »

Euraty wrote:Will the archos 5 actually be able to support google android applications or is that just a hope? Also, are the google android apps as good as the apps on the itouch/iphone because some of those apps are really cool although the archos doesn't have an accelerometer or multi touch.
Having the same thoughts actually. I really hope the will be supported. That would be cool. Thanks ion advance for those who will answer the question above. :)
Last edited by ihanna on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
“My life is my message.” – Gandhi
SHADO
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Post by SHADO »

ihanna wrote:
Euraty wrote:Will the archos 5 actually be able to support google android applications or is that just a hope? Also, are the google android apps as good as the apps on the itouch/iphone because some of those apps are really cool although the archos doesn't have an accelerometer or multi touch.
Having the same thoughts actually. I really hope the will be supported. That would be cool. Thanks ion advance for those who will answer the question above. :)
This thread is almost 4 years old, as is the Archos 5 IMT. The subject is long dead and buried. It will NEVER be able to run the Android operating system or Android apps. Archos stopped providing new firmware releases (for the A5 IMT) over a year ago.

Sorry. :(
30GB 605WiFi (x2)/250GB A5 IMT
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Pretty sure that last person was a spam account. I've already noticed how old the thread was that he posted in.
SHADO
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Post by SHADO »

Harfainx wrote:Pretty sure that last person was a spam account. I've already noticed how old the thread was that he posted in.
I was thinking the same thing at first. What confused me was the fact I didn't see any links trying to sell something, LOL. :lol:
30GB 605WiFi (x2)/250GB A5 IMT

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”