CNET won't be publishing Archos 5 review until October

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CNET won't be publishing Archos 5 review until October

Post by Chengbin »

Disclaimer: this is a speculation

CNET just posted it's review for the iPod Touch 2G, and gave the Editor's Choice award (seriously, a 9.0 score??) Since the Editor's Choice award is only given once a month, and we all know the Archos 5 will slaughter the iPod Touch, it looks like the Archos 5 review will be published in October so it can get an Editor's Choice award.

BTW, if the Archos 605 can score an 8.7 with all the deficiencies and the iPod Touch 2G can score a 9, the Archos 5 will EASILY hit 9.3-9.5.

Can anybody find a fault on the Archos 5 that can be in the "bad" section of the review summary? (Please don't say buggy and plugins). I'm having a hard time finding a fault. The only fault I can find, and that affects a lot of people (which is the things that go to the "bad" section on CNET review) is the fingerprint magnet exterior, weight. and battery life. I know there are other faults like FLAC and MKV, but those are minor, and it won't go into the bad section (if it did, you'll see the con in the iPod Touch review in BIG, BOLD letters).
Gr.9 tech lover
Crlrhxphn
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: CNET won't be publishing Archos 5 review until October

Post by Crlrhxphn »

There probably waiting on an alpha firmware.

From what I read from plenty of people on this forum there are lots of seriously bad bugs like the player resetting itself, and the fact that it does not have the quick start feature of the 605 yet. It is better for them to wait until the next firmware before review otherwise the score will be lowered by at least 5 points.

That being said I think that it is at least going to get a 90, but once it is reviewed they dont change the score even if the item gets much better so let them wait until it can get a better score and archos can clean up there act.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Don't get me wrong, i think the archos 5 is incredible, i'm going to order one when their up in holland, but a few 'bads':

- You need to buy the plug-ins
- There's little solved bugs in the firmware (i've heard a lot of stories about bugs that were in older models, which i think is a BIG bad!)
- No direct USB-host (like on gmini series)
- No direct TV-output (like gmini)
- No direct Charger input
- No HDD-LED, so you can't see if it's busy reading or writing from/to the HDD
- No accelerometer (although i think it's not a big thing, but it's VERY easy to incorporate and VERY cheap (have used one myself for formula telemetry))
- No multi-touch for photo-zooming (it's just some piece of software! Everybody thinks you need some sort of special LCD-display, it's... just... software!)
- Some easy text editor
- Swype (look it up, it's cool!)
- A mic, so you could skype via 3G-dongle

Now, once again, don't get me wrong! This is an amazing apparatus, but if these things were incorporated Apple wouldn't know what hit them and the archos 5G (for incorporated 3G) would be rewarded with a 10/10!
Crlrhxphn
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Crlrhxphn »

HellFury wrote:Don't get me wrong, i think the archos 5 is incredible, i'm going to order one when their up in holland, but a few 'bads':

- There's little solved bugs in the firmware (i've heard a lot of stories about bugs that were in older models, which i think is a BIG bad!)
- No accelerometer (although i think it's not a big thing, but it's VERY easy to incorporate and VERY cheap (have used one myself for formula telemetry))
- No multi-touch for photo-zooming (it's just some piece of software! Everybody thinks you need some sort of special LCD-display, it's... just... software!)
- Some easy text editor

Now, once again, don't get me wrong! This is an amazing apparatus, but if these things were incorporated Apple wouldn't know what hit them and the archos 5G (for incorporated 3G) would be rewarded with a 10/10!
I agree with all those except the multi-touch. Its patented by Apple so companies have to figure out how to get around the patent in order to incorporate one into there device. for all we know the patent says that apple has the exclusive right to use touch screens that allow 2 or more fingers. I am being general but something along those lines would include software based implementation. Just look at the controller for the PS3 it took a whole year after it was released before they where able to put the rumble feature back into there controllers.

I think a mic will probably come the 5g doesnt show up till December so they have a lot of time to make changes based on the response to the 5.
Charles
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Charles »

It's ultra thin... 1,3cm only ! How do you want to fit a USB-Host in there ? However, I must agree for the tv-output.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Crlrhxphn wrote: I agree with all those except the multi-touch. Its patented by Apple so companies have to figure out how to get around the patent in order to incorporate one into there device. for all we know the patent says that apple has the exclusive right to use touch screens that allow 2 or more fingers. I am being general but something along those lines would include software based implementation. Just look at the controller for the PS3 it took a whole year after it was released before they where able to put the rumble feature back into there controllers.

I think a mic will probably come the 5g doesnt show up till December so they have a lot of time to make changes based on the response to the 5.
I recall some patent about multi-stylus control for the nintendo DS... Find some video about the Microsoft Surface, which also supports multi touch. So it's not that multi touch is solely an Apple patent.

I only added multi-touch to the list because competitors are pushing it forward as their big hit. The fact of zooming in with 2 fingers is nothing something i would NEED to see on any apparatus (except the Microsoft surface)

Then there's something i'd like to clear up for everyone:
PS3 did not have rumble function because they couldn't use accelerometers and rumble, but they were in a lawsuit about the rumble technology with Immersion (so have Microsoft and nintendo been)
Charles wrote:It's ultra thin... 1,3cm only ! How do you want to fit a USB-Host in there ? However, I must agree for the tv-output.
Look at the Archos Gmini402 (which i own... No other Archos PMP :( )
It's also ultra thin, but they put in a USB-port (mini USB, but still)
bmar29
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by bmar29 »

Crlrhxphn wrote: I agree with all those except the multi-touch. Its patented by Apple so companies have to figure out how to get around the patent in order to incorporate one into there device. for all we know the patent says that apple has the exclusive right to use touch screens that allow 2 or more fingers. I am being general but something along those lines would include software based implementation. Just look at the controller for the PS3 it took a whole year after it was released before they where able to put the rumble feature back into there controllers.

ok i dont know why everyone seems to think apple owns multi-touch. apple, dell, asus, and microsoft have all used multi touch. no doubt apple would sue archos if they put mulit touch in one of their players but they would certainly not win. have a look for yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Don't get me wrong, i think the archos 5 is incredible, i'm going to order one when their up in holland, but a few 'bads':

(I said don't say plugins, but you're right)
(I said don't say bugs as well, but you're right)
(How many people use that feature? Having that feature will slightly ruin the aesthetic for something almost nobody uses)
(OK, you got one. It is a nice feature that not too many people use, but it is still very convenient)
(You're right again, I forgot to mention that. USB charging is just too slow)
(That's not a con, that's good. How many people wants to know if their HDD is working? Without it, better aesthetics are achieved)
(What's the point? Yeah, it is cheap, but there is no use, and it is more difficult to write a firmware, and more chances of bugs)
(It is not a software, you actually need a special LCD for that. I agree that it is a slight con because multitouch becomes useful for fast typers and flash games. I'm not sure about photo zooming because then Archos will be copying Apple, then there will be a lawsuit, which Archos does not want)
- Some easy text editor
(Slight con, they should include that, but still, not many people use it)
(I'm not sure, might be inaccurate, then it causes negativity.)
(A mic would be nice for audio recording, but not skype because companies don't allow that.)
Gr.9 tech lover
Crlrhxphn
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Crlrhxphn »

I am not afraid to say that I was completely wrong in my statement earlier. Thanks for setting me strait. I learn something new every day.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Chengbin wrote:Don't get me wrong, i think the archos 5 is incredible, i'm going to order one when their up in holland, but a few 'bads':

(I said don't say plugins, but you're right)
(I said don't say bugs as well, but you're right)
[you said that indeed, but i still think it's a very big deal! Mainly because I've had a gmini402 and there were no plug-ins, all was included. I've pointed out the bugs in the firmware since i recall none of the gmini bugs (except when people hacked it) were solved and i read a lot of messages of bugs in the 604 and 605 that were NOT solved. Even worse is the fact that the SAME bugs are in the 5! So basically the 5 doesn't have new firmware, but an updated with some cosmetic changes (GOOOD cosmetic changes, though]
(How many people use that feature? Having that feature will slightly ruin the aesthetic for something almost nobody uses)
[if nobody uses it, then why do they put in in almost every snap-on they bring out? :S it is very handy when you're on vacation and your camera is full. Or if you have someone at work you want to share music with but don't have a computer at hand (or if, like all archos, you need an extra cable to connect it to the computer)]
(OK, you got one. It is a nice feature that not too many people use, but it is still very convenient)
[gmini series had a 3.5mm jack with which you could directly connect composite video to the tv. Less hassle, better apparatus]
(You're right again, I forgot to mention that. USB charging is just too slow)
[would be cool if it had it, but charge at night, on your nightstand with the clock on display and alarm clock to wake up... It's not such a big deal, but would be better to just include wall charge input]
(That's not a con, that's good. How many people wants to know if their HDD is working? Without it, better aesthetics are achieved)
[the 5 is a lot sleeker and better without it, but an LED could show you if the unit is busy, so you could minimize G-forces which could damage your HDD]
(What's the point? Yeah, it is cheap, but there is no use, and it is more difficult to write a firmware, and more chances of bugs)
[indeed, it's not a big thing... but ipod fanboys could always say 'na na, i've got one :P'... not that i care, becasue i've got the archos 5 ;)]
(It is not a software, you actually need a special LCD for that. I agree that it is a slight con because multitouch becomes useful for fast typers and flash games. I'm not sure about photo zooming because then Archos will be copying Apple, then there will be a lawsuit, which Archos does not want)
[i've written simple software for my laptop touchpad which enabled multitouch... not possible? Your call]
- Some easy text editor
(Slight con, they should include that, but still, not many people use it)
[handy for a trip to the supermarket, at school etc.]
(I'm not sure, might be inaccurate, then it causes negativity.)
[it works on a small 2-3" PDA screen... 5 inch not accurate enough?..]
(A mic would be nice for audio recording, but not skype because companies don't allow that.)
[why wouldn't they allow it!? Or do you mean the internet provider?]
Some more ideas:

- an agenda! could be easy since you're already syncing your contacts and music. might as well sync your agenda.
- A cool coverview option like coverflow, to easily select a single album (and automatically your archos would play in album mode. Of course you could disable this in settings)
- A 3G snap-on with build in mic (yes, for skype ;) )
- Why don't they include a stylus and stylus holder in the device? 'because you could navigate with your finger.'. Then why do they include (very crappy) headphones, if it has a build in speaker and everybody uses other headphones.
- No case included... No biggie, but gmini series had it (in case you hadn't noticed, i REALLY liked the gmini 402! now that was some inspiring and hi-tech device for that time!)
- A sort of task manager, like Alt-tab (like nokia's, where you hold the menu button)
- Include a screen protector for 5" screen protector are hard to come by... Or give you an option to order it with the 5 on the archos site.
- no that i want to see it in this generation 5, but the next generation should have interchangeable batteries. Gmini didn't have this, and 3+ years the battery is still working fine, but still.

All the while this list became more of a wishlist, so i'm also gonna post this in the wishlist.
Brent212
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brent212 »

- Doesn't remember the current playlist when it's powered off unless the playlist is saved.
- Doesn't automatically resume playback when you turn it on. (I could be wrong about that... it's just an assumption)
- Doesn't show the song's year when playing music.
- Browser doesn't fulfill the claims that it provides "uncompromised web surfing".
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Brent212 wrote:- Doesn't remember the current playlist when it's powered off unless the playlist is saved.
- Doesn't automatically resume playback when you turn it on. (I could be wrong about that... it's just an assumption)
- Browser doesn't fulfill the claims that it provides "uncompromised web surfing".
1. OK, personally I don't think that it a big of a thing to worry.
2. It will quickly become annoying. It would be a good feature if it had an on/off switch
3. Who needs to know the year of the song?
4. But it is pretty darn close. What are they gonna say? Almost uncompromised web surfing?
Gr.9 tech lover
Magic Man
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Magic Man »

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about with multitouch - why do you want to slide more than one finger over a nice shiny display device, the fewer the better as far as I'm concerned...
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

It is quicker to zoom with multitouch. You can also easily adjust zoom.

BTW, if you're a fast typer, you'll enjoy multitouch too.
Gr.9 tech lover
Magic Man
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Magic Man »

I know but how much picture zooming do people do on mobile devices that would really benefit from multitouch over other methods...
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Zooming web pages too.

Also, I forgot to add flash games.
Gr.9 tech lover
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

It's not quicker to zoom with multitouch. I think it's actually more problematic to zoom with multitouch, you have to put two fingers on the screen, that's not comfortable and you can't even see the screen anymore because of that. Archos doesn't need zooming on websites since its screen is twice the size of iPhone and has 2.5x the amount of pixels. You can zoom by double clicking anyplace on the screen. Zooming in on pictures is faster and more precise with the Archos, you click on the picture where you want to zoom then you use a scroll at the bottom of the screen to zoom precisely to the level you want.
rokero
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rokero »

I'm with you charbax. I love how you can put your finger on the point you want to zoom in on, and it centers it in the middle of the screen.
May 21, 2011
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Multitouch screen is not necessary for a screen this big. It would be a welcome addition though because flash games and fast typers will benefit from it.
Gr.9 tech lover
Brent212
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brent212 »

Chengbin wrote:
Brent212 wrote: - Doesn't remember the current playlist when it's powered off unless the playlist is saved.
1. OK, personally I don't think that it a big of a thing to worry.
2. It will quickly become annoying. It would be a good feature if it had an on/off switch
3. Who needs to know the year of the song?
4. But it is pretty darn close. What are they gonna say? Almost uncompromised web surfing?
1 - 3 are all huge for me. I know most people aren't as picky as I am, but I think it's ridiculous these things aren't included, since they are so freaking simple to implement. And without 1 and 2, it makes using this in my car pretty inconvenient.

From what I've read, the browser isn't even close. Using skyfire on my phone even works on every site that I've read doesn't work on the archos except one (pandora... but last.fm works, which I prefer anyway). Yeah, it's not a great experience to browse the web on a small phone, but it's just kind of silly that it works better.

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”