rotating screen?

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
gg1965
Archos User
Archos User

rotating screen?

Post by gg1965 »

this may be a silly question - but while reading a pdf document, can you rotate the screen 90 degrees - ie so the screen is vertical instead of being horizontal?

i just feel that the vertical screen would be more "book-like" while reading a big document.

so can this be done from the pdf viewer or in the OS?

thanks

g
sae1969
Archos User
Archos User

Re: rotating screen?

Post by sae1969 »

If I understand your question: you want the display to rotate 90 degrees, the answer is no. The archos would have to have an accelerometer to do such a thing. The ipod touch and iphone are the only pmps that can do this (as far as I know). It would certainly be convenient, no?
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Right now, no. If Archos do decide to include this, they can do it through a firmware update. You don't need an accelerometer to rotate the screen. You can do it manually by clicking a few buttons to do that (assuming that the Archos has that feature).
Gr.9 tech lover
BlythS
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BlythS »

Chengbin wrote:Right now, no. If Archos do decide to include this, they can do it through a firmware update. You don't need an accelerometer to rotate the screen. You can do it manually by clicking a few buttons to do that (assuming that the Archos has that feature).
Exactly - you can already rotate photos with a simple gesture on the screen or through menus/buttons, it's just not supported by the pdf viewer.
605 30G
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

The Archos 5 CAN'T rotate PDF's?! Damn, thought that was kinda standard for a PDF-viewer... Would make a lot of things simpeler..
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

sae1969 wrote:If I understand your question: you want the display to rotate 90 degrees, the answer is no. The archos would have to have an accelerometer to do such a thing. The ipod touch and iphone are the only pmps that can do this (as far as I know). It would certainly be convenient, no?
It's a standard feature in Qtopia -- the Zaurus could do this in 1996. Provided you're prepared to use a button on menu to do the rotation, there's nothing technologically problematic about it. It just makes application development a bit more tricky, because developers have to write code in such a way as to account for the screen possibly changing aspect ratio. It's just more work for Archos, I guess.
lateralusman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by lateralusman »

sae1969 wrote:If I understand your question: you want the display to rotate 90 degrees, the answer is no. The archos would have to have an accelerometer to do such a thing. The ipod touch and iphone are the only pmps that can do this (as far as I know). It would certainly be convenient, no?
I don't see why archos can't do it the new ipod nano has a freakin accelerometer now.
Unless it's copyrighted by apple.
BlythS
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BlythS »

As was said before, they can do it, they just haven't chosen to or thought of it.
The accelerometer is just a flashy gimmick. Shake to shuffle will probably be turned off/ignored after the first week of ownership. And you wouldn't want every image to automatically rotate - what if the original orientation of the image is wrong and that's why you are turning the screen?

And it's not likely to be patented by Apple (at least not in a way that would prevent others from offering similar functions) - they didn't invent it and others have put them (or similar technology that acheives the same effect) in players 2 years ago - Sony was first with shake to shuffle in 2006 and Sansa did one in early 2007 - plus digital cameras have been automatically rotating images for a while now as well. Apple's is probably more sophisticated since it senses position in multiple dimensions - but so does the Wii-mote.
605 30G

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”