Solution to all your Archos 5 charging problems

60GB, 120GB, 250GB and 30GB with HSDPA
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Solution to all your Archos 5 charging problems

Post by HellFury »

A few weeks ago I lost my Nokia adapter. I went to an electronics store (in my case, the Handyman in the Netherlands) and had a choice: Buy an original Nokia charger for Ôé¼15,- or buy a third party charger, which was also Ôé¼15,- but had a lot of different options:

There was one main cable. One side was a normal USB-connector which you'd plug into your computer. You could also plug this side into a 12V car charger or a 230V wall plug.
The other side of the cable was standard usb, but also had a lot of extra plug, like a charger for nokia, samsung, errickson and the like.

So for Ôé¼15,- you'll have a standard wall plug / car charger / usb-connector, for all your usb-stuff and mobile phones.

in the end the idea would look like this: http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/24485_923b7653.jpg

I hope I helped all your charging needs ;) And I hope i'm welcome to your forum.
Asheboy
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Solution to all your Archos 5 charging problems

Post by Asheboy »

The power it outs is also very important but yeah, many people use this as a solution. Also you are very welcome:D
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Of course the output voltage is 5V, since USB supplies 5V.
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

HellFury wrote:A few weeks ago I lost my Nokia adapter. I went to an electronics store (in my case, the Handyman in the Netherlands) and had a choice: Buy an original Nokia charger for Ôé¼15,- or buy a third party charger, which was also Ôé¼15,- but had a lot of different options:

There was one main cable. One side was a normal USB-connector which you'd plug into your computer. You could also plug this side into a 12V car charger or a 230V wall plug.
The other side of the cable was standard usb, but also had a lot of extra plug, like a charger for nokia, samsung, errickson and the like.

So for Ôé¼15,- you'll have a standard wall plug / car charger / usb-connector, for all your usb-stuff and mobile phones.

in the end the idea would look like this: http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/24485_923b7653.jpg

I hope I helped all your charging needs ;) And I hope i'm welcome to your forum.
Sure hope Archos has reverse polarity protection. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like from that picture that you could get the pins in reverse if you don't pay attention and plug it in backwards.
mitchelln
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mitchelln »

This doesn't solve the problem of the USB charging taking so long. The only way to charge quicker is to pay extra for the dock and charger.
Cat Dog Hi!
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

mitchelln wrote:This doesn't solve the problem of the USB charging taking so long. The only way to charge quicker is to pay extra for the dock and charger.
It could.
The charging time problem with USB charging is because the motherboard of computers only supply 500mah of current. Docks are nothing more than a USB charger with a larger power supply that delivers in excess of 500ma.
Some of those lighter plug usb chargers I have seen will deliver 1amp of current, so you really have to check out the specs to see what the adapter will supply.
cghori
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cghori »

Why don't you get a powered USB Hub and plug into the computer? Should charge the Archos much faster.
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

honeymonkey wrote:Some of those lighter plug usb chargers I have seen will deliver 1amp of current, so you really have to check out the specs to see what the adapter will supply.
That won't help.

The rating on the charger is the amount of current it can safely deliver if the device it is charging demands it, not the amount it will deliver.

The USB standard limits that not the charger itself.

It doesn't matter if the charger is rated for 500mA, 1A or even 2A, the Archos will still charge at the same rate.

The only benefit these devices have is that some PC motherboards will not be able to deliver a full 500mA and so a device that can deliver 500mA will let it charge a bit faster, however if you want to get past the limitations of USB then you need one of the docks.
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

MarkT wrote:
honeymonkey wrote:Some of those lighter plug usb chargers I have seen will deliver 1amp of current, so you really have to check out the specs to see what the adapter will supply.
That won't help.

The rating on the charger is the amount of current it can safely deliver if the device it is charging demands it, not the amount it will deliver.

The USB standard limits that not the charger itself.

It doesn't matter if the charger is rated for 500mA, 1A or even 2A, the Archos will still charge at the same rate.

The only benefit these devices have is that some PC motherboards will not be able to deliver a full 500mA and so a device that can deliver 500mA will let it charge a bit faster, however if you want to get past the limitations of USB then you need one of the docks.
If I charge my player through the usb while connected to my computer the charging time is 8 hours (which adheres to usb standard limits)
If I charge my player through the same usb cable while connected to my external battery pack which delivers 1000mah it take 3.hours
ceo2010
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ceo2010 »

Will this thing work? Any other suggestions?

Belkin Dual USB and AC Wall Charger for iPod
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance

I know nothing about volts or amps, so I want to make sure I won't burn out the unit.
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

It will work, don't expect miracles in terms of charge times, but as it is a USB charger it will work safely with pretty much any USB device.
ceo2010
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ceo2010 »

Thanks. Anything better than 8 hours would meet my expectations!
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

I would still strongly recommend that you consider one of the docks for the fastest charging solution as the majority of people report that USB wall chargers are no faster than a PC USB port unless of course your PC port is giving sub-standard performance which a lot of them do.
ceo2010
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ceo2010 »

The dilemma is go with 120 gigs no dock..order it today (yeah), or 60 gig with the dock and wait until...

When I first started researching PMP's recently...to occupy me on my commute, i was only looking to spend $300ish. I'm already going over budget with the new 5! I even contemplated the 605, but once you add up all the plugins needed, it's a no brainer to wait for the 5.
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

Checkout the Gomadic rapid chargers on Amazon.

They are using their own connection to the Archos rather than the standard USB cable.

I've never used one so I can't tell you how fast they charge, but they are at least claiming it is a rapid charger so worth a look perhaps?
Barnee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Barnee »

HI
This is my first post I have pre-ordered my archos 5 from curcuit city and I want to know is USB the only way to charge these unit I would like to take this unit on a trip and I do not have a laptop to charge it!! What docking unit do I need to order in order to charge it in regular wall outlet??
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

This is my first post

Welcome to the forum.

What docking unit do I need to order in order to charge it in regular wall outlet??

Any of the docks (Battery, Mini, DVR) will charge the 5 from a wall outlet, and much faster than USB. You should at least get one just for the fast charge purpose.
Nowhere
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nowhere »

Hello!
I am new here and a new Archos 5 owner. My question is what is the exactly parameters power supply? I haven't bought a mini dock yet. I want to use wall charger (I know the charge time as same as with USB cable). But what is the output parameters?
Thanks in advance!!
And sorry my bad english too. :)
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Nowhere wrote:Hello!
I am new here and a new Archos 5 owner. My question is what is the exactly parameters power supply? I haven't bought a mini dock yet. I want to use wall charger (I know the charge time as same as with USB cable). But what is the output parameters?
Thanks in advance!!
And sorry my bad english too. :)
A standard (and about 100% are) USB-port will give you a 5V supply with a current of 500mA.

The vast majority of wall plugs with USB-output will follow these guidelines to make sure they don't blow up the USB-port of the device that's being charged. These devices are made for charging via USB, so will only use 5V / 500mA. So it won't charge a lot faster than via the computer (except that the computer needs to power multiple USB-powered devices, so the current could drop a little. The current is the factor that defines how long it takes to fully charge the batery)
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

I plan to take the Archos 5 with me hiking and camping. Anyone considered what's involved in creating a solar charger?
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101

Return to “Archos 5 and Archos 5G (without Android)”