Free development on Archos devices

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
vertexar

Free development on Archos devices

Post by vertexar »

[Edited Post with new petition]

[Sign Now!] I would like Archos to release enough information on the Archos 605 (or in general, all the fifth generation) in order to allow us to develop 3rd party applications for it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/fdarchos/petition.html

Thanks a lot!
Best regards,
Vertexar
Last edited by vertexar on Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

You can develop Widgets for it.
Fuse314
Archos User
Archos User

dont think so...

Post by Fuse314 »

I don't think that it is your right to run your own applications on a device you have paid for.
You would have lots of cellphones, mp3 players, DVD players, TVs and even cars etc. where you had the right to run your own code... I can imagine the chaos.

So although Archos will probably release the GPL'd portion of the firmware again for the gen5 devices, it will just be as useless as the one they released for the gen4 players.
I doubt that they will even react to your petition - many of us (including me) cannot even sign the petition because it includes the "I won't buy any archos product until they do so" part that I clearly already violate by writing this post on my a605.

@vertexar Please dont take this personally. I respect your effort and I would love to see homebrew code running on the gen5 players but I don't think that there is a way to achieve this with a petition or threats or legal stuff...

I think it will take quite an effort to break into the device like there was over the last months with the iPhone. But unless someone is willing to invest time and money into this I dont think it will ever happen.

After having used the device for the last months I must say it's the best player I have ever owned and as soon as the widgets are available it will be even more useful to me without the ability to run my own code on it...

Just my 2c

G.

Edit: removed typos and strange english :)
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

I agree with fuse314. I too have already purchased it and love it. Perhaps another approach would be with praise. The device is outstanding and could be made even better if people could develop 3rd party programming. This would help distance it even further from the likes of ipod and iphone and other PMP's. This could have a chance of working but saying your not going to buy something that is already at the head of the genre, and can't be made fast enough to keep up with demand, will probably fall on deaf ears. Maybe not, but that is my opinion.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

If there was somekind of SDK where teams of developpers could submit new programs to Archos and get paid if they are integrated eigther as a free firmware upgrade or as new pay-for plug-ins, that could possibly be nice. Although releasing that kind of SDK and documenting it might cost too much time and money for Archos to do right now, and I don't know if it would be at all possible for Archos to do so without compromising their proprietary code. But I guess the more popular the Gen5 will be during the next weeks and months, the better chance there is that Archos invests in adding new features in firmware and that might include investing in releasing an SDK and launching a whole open third party development program. For example there might even be somekind of development kit machines without the encrypted firmware mechanism that would be sent out to the teams that eigther buy that development kit for a reasonable price or get it because they prove that they are serious about adding specific functionalities and need a development kit to test it on. An open SDK program could I guess maybe speed up the addition of all the features from the firmware wishlist: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=5046
vertexar

Post by vertexar »

I appreciate your comments and I think you are right about the ÔÇ£I wonÔÇÖt buyÔÇØ part of the petition. I realized that it made no sense to say that, so I decided to close the it and open a new one, just asking to release information.

The new link is: http://www.petitiononline.com/fdarchos/petition.html

Thanks a lot for your comments!!,
Vertexar.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

I think that if they open sourced the software, then they wouldn't be able to sell it so cheaply, as they couldn't sell plugins.
:-({|=
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

And if they open-source the software, there would be no Archos Content Portal, DRM compatibillity and all their deals with content providers, technology providers that they have signed during the past years would be thrown out the window, this is unlikely until DRM becomes illegal and that software and hardware patents are managed in another way.
marinerm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by marinerm »

I don't like this idea at all either. It keeps the price down (and Archcos in business) by being able to give their SDK only to the partners they strike the best deals with, such as Opera.

And their business model, based on history, is that they add new features with new generations and don't retro-fit those back. This would be at risk if they released a public SDK. Who would ever buy the next generation if someone could write a program to give the same features at the current version?

I don't disagree that you can run whatever you want on what you purchase, as long as it's yours, you figure out how to do it, and that you don't distribute whatever you do. Otherwise you'd be in violation of the Archos license agreement if you did purchase one.
Cbud
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Cbud »

I personally have no problem developing (simple) 3rd party apps right now using swf files. It's easy and pretty flexible, you can't do everything, but a lot is still possible.

I would love to see the 605 hacked (which I think is completely possible), but I highly doubt Archos will EVER sponsor anything like this.
guiri
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by guiri »

You know, this WOULD be worth more if people didn't put their NICKNAMES instead of their names......geez

Return to “Open Development”