604 wifi - next gen pma?

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
birdman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

604 wifi - next gen pma?

Post by birdman »

hey, I'm just wondering if the archos 604 wifi will be like a normal 604 with wifi or will it be like a next gen pma? half pmp half pda, anyone know? :)
Andy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Andy »

it will be like teh 604 only with a browser. So you
    Can't install software
    can't write anything or store your information(Am I right?)
    You can't play any games(only perhaps in the browser)

You see what I mean, don't you.
birdman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by birdman »

Andy wrote:
      You see what I mean, don't you.

that you it will be like the 604 only with wifi?
      Charbax
      Site Admin
      Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Yes but imagine what the touch-screen and the Wi-Fi can do. And probably most of it will be possible.

- video-on-demand interfaces,
      - iptv interface,
      - samba filesharing
      - opera browser with ajax, cookies support
      - video and audio podcasting download manager

and hopefully also:

- voip
      - im
      - documents

I think those features are more interesting and much more powerfull than the the usual features of a normal pda.. I think the 604 Wi-Fi is targeted more towards the powerfull multimedia IP centric features that are optimized by Archos and developped with Archos partners and where the software is targeted towards all users, instead of having an unsupportable pda platform which revolves too much around the OS instead of the applications.

Probably that Archos will have a better firmware and software update system, probably one that is centrally managed so that once connecting to the internet all users can download and install updates automatically. But there might also be some public and private software development kits that enables third parties to port their linux applications to the kind of QT Linux or some OS like it that is the engine of the 604 Wi-Fi.. Somekinds of SDK to facilitate that VOIP, IM, docs, calendars and other of those kinds of softwares can be ported which can take advantage of the powerfull multimedia capabillities, the touch-screen and the Wi-Fi.
      Andy
      Archos Novice
      Archos Novice

Post by Andy »

how will it be with the keyboard? the same as in pma400 with this keyboard in the bottom ? can you connect a keyboard? does anybody know this?
      Charbax
      Site Admin
      Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I'm quite sure you can connect a usb keyboard to type text in the browser or any other text input applications.
      RK
      Archos Guru
      Archos Guru

Post by RK »

Why not throw in a bit torrent client to eliminate the need for a computer altogether. :P

Return to “Open Development”