Success Upgrading Archos 504 40gb to 160gb from Woot

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
sunshine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sunshine »

Mine originally came with 1.5.55. The lowest I've been able to downgrade to has been 1.5.04. If I try a 1.4.xx I get the error code 40. So Archos did something starting different starting with my original firmware. If you can image a 40gig with 1.4.03 it would be much appreciated. I would like to try it out to see if it works.
jason12
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jason12 »

Will do 1.4.03 image diring this weekend. It will be made with Acronis software. I believe one can get free 15-day eval from their web site:

http://www.acronis.com/
sunshine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sunshine »

jason12 wrote:Will do 1.4.03 image diring this weekend. It will be made with Acronis software. I believe one can get free 15-day eval from their web site:

http://www.acronis.com/

Thanks again. The image file size will be quite small due to compression and the fact that the 40gigs is mostly empty.
Taffy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Taffy »

I used to play around with the original xbox's some and they had a similar security setup. The OS was such that it wouldn't boot unless the hard drive was locked, and only the OS had the "keys" to unlock the hard drive. Sounds like Archos may be doing something similar. To get around it, people would do a hotswap, which means booting with the "correct" hard drive, and then without turning things off they would unplug the "correct" hard drive and plugin the "new" hard drive. If you Google XBOX and HOTSWAP you'll find a bunch of info on it.

If someone is very adventurous, I wonder what would happen if you powered up the archos, unplugged the hard drive without powering it off, plug in the new hard drive and format it, and then power the unit off?
voniha
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by voniha »

Taffy wrote:I used to play around with the original xbox's some and they had a similar security setup. The OS was such that it wouldn't boot unless the hard drive was locked, and only the OS had the "keys" to unlock the hard drive. Sounds like Archos may be doing something similar. To get around it, people would do a hotswap, which means booting with the "correct" hard drive, and then without turning things off they would unplug the "correct" hard drive and plugin the "new" hard drive. If you Google XBOX and HOTSWAP you'll find a bunch of info on it.

If someone is very adventurous, I wonder what would happen if you powered up the archos, unplugged the hard drive without powering it off, plug in the new hard drive and format it, and then power the unit off?

I already tried, but the problem is, that you cannot start the Archos with the battery removed (=case opened). I will try to make a connection with some small cables and clamps, but I don't have such material at home. I will keep you informed...
jason12
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jason12 »

voniha and sunshine,

You got PM with image links. Image turned out being almost 300MB. Probably the hidden partition.

I would highly recommend the following:

1. Retrieve the HDD volume number (not sure what software can do it)
2. Backup your existing 40G harddrive.
3. Load new image on the harddrive. Try it out.
4. If it does not boot using software from #1 change volume number to your original number and try it out again.

If it does boot up the system should show 1.4.03 version. However the bootstrap is still whatever it was before. Hence it has to be downgraded to 1.4.03.

For the image change you should have something like this connected to your PC and 2.5in HDD.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... TB&cpc=SCH

Good luck
sunshine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sunshine »

jason12 wrote:voniha and sunshine,

You got PM with image links. Image turned out being almost 300MB. Probably the hidden partition.

4. If it does not boot using software from #1 change volume number to your original number and try it out again.

If it does boot up the system should show 1.4.03 version. However the bootstrap is still whatever it was before. Hence it has to be downgraded to 1.4.03.

For the image change you should have something like this connected to your PC and 2.5in HDD.

Good luck

Thank you. I'm downloading as we speak. I might be able to butcher my Seagate external laptop drive and use that. Will report back on how it goes.
sirbilbo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sirbilbo »

Hi Guy's,

I've just ordered Archos 604 30GB, hopefully with an "old" fw installed as the store had more than 25 in stock (fingers crossed).
If anyone have an image of a 30GB drive on a Archos 604 i will do some testing of this new device, (I allready have an 504 80GB) with the new fw installed so i might never be able to upgrade this drive to 250GB but hopefully with the 604...

I will be very greatful if there is some who could help me with this image :roll:

To those who are testing, keep up the good work !!!

Regards,
SB
warlock110
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by warlock110 »

Good luck

hey dude, where did you get firm ware 1.5.03? all i see is 1.5.04
jason12
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jason12 »

warlock110 wrote:

Good luck

I did not mention 1.5.03 in that particular post.

If you refer to my original post then that's what I got it with a 504 unit. Hence there is no 504.aos file associated with it. I did backup a harddrive though. However it is impossible to change a bootstrap to 1.5.03.
warlock110
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by warlock110 »

jason12 wrote:
warlock110 wrote:

Good luck

I did not mention 1.5.03 in that particular post.

If you refer to my original post then that's what I got it with a 504 unit. Hence there is no 504.aos file associated with it. I did backup a harddrive though. However it is impossible to change a bootstrap to 1.5.03.

alright, i guess we're gonna be stuck with 1.4.03... BTW there's a 320GB 2.5" HDD out right now, man, i think this thing is gonna be crazy with a 320GB haha.
sunshine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sunshine »

No luck with reimaging the drive with the 1.4.03 image from Jason. Here's what I did:

My archos originally came with firmware 1.5.55. I had only been sucessful in downgrading as low as firmware 1.5.04. I pulled the 40 gig drive from the archos and put it in another enclosure. Reimaged the drive with the 1.4.03 image from Jason. Also copied the 1.4.03 firmware file to the root directory of the drive. Put the drive back in the archos and it started up fine. At this point the drive has the 1.4.03 firmware image but the firmware of the archos was still 1.5.04. I now attempted to downgrade the firmware of the archos by running the firmware upgrade choice in the system utilities section. Unfortunately I still get a bad error code 40 message when I try to do this.

Not sure if there is anything else to try. Unless my procedure to downgrade the firmware is wrong, I think some of us may be stuck with the drive that came with it.
Droc
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Droc »

Is it just me, or is Archos spending more time locking drives then fixing bugs and improving the software...
Jimijaz

Post by Jimijaz »

First time poster here,
I just picked up a 504 40 gig, at Targhit. Also on the clearance rack for the princely sum of 165. Me likey. I'm guessing that if Archos was smart enough to unlock their player, they'd get enough interest in the drives to actually make them popular. And I don't mean popular among the geeky, tear it apart and see what's inside, crowd, but civilians too. Alas, I started upgrading the FW long before subscribing to any boards. More to get the plugins to work than anything else. When the warranty is out, I'll be gutting this thing to see what I can do with it. maybe in that time, someone will come up with a workaround for the present issues.
-JJ
sirbilbo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How to open the ZIF connector ?

Post by sirbilbo »

I had no luck open up the zif connector and as the device (604) is brand new i prefere ask for the right way. I tried to pull the cable out but it wont let me...
and as it is called a zif (Zero In Force) i guess it has to be open in some way

anyone haveing a pic of a open zif ?

best,
SB
dvdfreak

Need Help with the upgrade to 160gig

Post by dvdfreak »

My firmware version is 1.2.05, Can i still upgrade the 40gig to 160gig?

Please help me with the step. How to remove the Hard-drive??? To i need to unscrew things....??What the difficulty level to remove this drive.
Wartown
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Wartown »

This is my first post, I just recently joined. I also bought my archos 504 bundled from Target with the firmware 1.2.08 on it. I've been reading this forum for a while debating on upgrading my archos. I decided to do so, I was able to download the 1.4.03 firmware thanks to the previous post and upgrade. Now I'm just waiting for my Samsung 160gb drive. I hope everything works out.
Wartown
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Wartown »

Wartown wrote:This is my first post, I just recently joined. I also bought my archos 504 bundled from Target with the firmware 1.2.08 on it. I've been reading this forum for a while debating on upgrading my archos. I decided to do so, I was able to download the 1.4.03 firmware thanks to the previous post and upgrade. Now I'm just waiting for my Samsung 160gb drive. I hope everything works out.
Wartown
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Need Help with the upgrade to 160gig

Post by Wartown »

dvdfreak wrote:My firmware version is 1.2.05, Can i still upgrade the 40gig to 160gig?

Please help me with the step. How to remove the Hard-drive??? To i need to unscrew things....??What the difficulty level to remove this drive.

It's easy to remove and install the hard drive... there's a button with an arrow on it on left side just push it down and slide the cover off. Then unscrew the 2 small screws that's below the hard drive, loosen the two bigger screws above the hard drive that holds a plate against the hard drive but you dont have to remove those just pull the hard drive from the connector. I'll be installing my drive tomorrow, I'll let you know how everything works out.
Taffy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Taffy »

Add me to the list as another who picked up a Target closeout. Mine also came with firmware 1.2.05, but I upgraded it to the latest firmware. I'm kinda having second thoughts about that, but it's under warranty for a year and I don't have any plans to crack it open until that time is up. And 40Gb is actually sufficient for all of my needs.

In case the hard drive ever dies after warranty is up it would be nice to be able to replace it without having to send it to Archos.

A question about the upgraded to the latest firmware hard drives. If you pull this drive from your Archos and try and read it in your PC, can the PC read it or is it "locked"?

Return to “Open Development”