Angstrom booting and other problems

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Jabberwock
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Angstrom booting and other problems

Post by Jabberwock »

While trying to make Archos 5 IMT work as a upnp player, I have encountered several issues...

First I tried the regular dualboot distribution. However, I could not install some of the packages I wanted to try out - e.g. coherence - due to lack of space.

Then I moved to Spz0's Illume build, which is 1 GB. I have managed to install coherence and it almost worked - unfortunately, at some point it hanged (no reaction at all, lost SSH connection). After restart it turned out Angstrom would not start at all - the progress bar reached like 98% and then stopped.

I have wiped everything out, installed the build from scratch and installed vlc. Curiously, the same thing happened - hanging and then booting stopped. Several other tries brought about the same results.

Then I have come back to the regular dualboot build. I have tried to increase the size as described somewhere else in this forum. Unfortunately, after the resize Angstrom fails to boot at all... I did it twice just to make sure I have followed the instructions to the letter...

Now I'm stumped... Does anyone have a working regular dualboot rootfs.img with more space than the standard build? Maybe that would help... Or are there other builds around which would work on 5 IMT?
Jabberwock
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Angstrom booting and other problems

Post by Jabberwock »

Unfortunately, installing either coherence or vlc on any build makes it hang. The funny thing is, they can be installed properly and run quite well (although I was not able to do yet what I wanted) until the device is rebooted. Then it's game over and reinstall time.

I guess that kills it for me. Until this bug gets resolved, I do not see any way to do what I wanted to do... Pity, as I have little use for my Archos 5 now and stationary music player would breathe some life into it.
Jabberwock
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Angstrom booting and other problems

Post by Jabberwock »

I've made some progress, after all!

It seems (although I cannot confirm it 100%) that it's "opkg upgrade" that kills the booting process. This basically rules out vlc (I cannot install it without upgrading some modules), but coherence is still viable... There is still a problem of not being able to produce sound, but I hope it will be still possible...

Return to “Open Development”