Need help accessing hidden partition, please!

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Need help accessing hidden partition, please!

Post by Overk1ll »

I have an A5 250GB IMT that was received as an RMA unit from Archos, running 1.7.17 firmware out of the box. The first thing I did with the unit after checking the firmware version was attempt to downgrade (source) to a version that the GF hack works from. However, the commands that worked before for mounting the hidden partition no longer work on my device; it seems that the firmware has changed the hidden partition's location/structure...

I have a root terminal open and type this:

Code: Select all

mount -t ext3 -o offset=249727726080 /dev/sde /media/disk
Derived from:

Disk /dev/sde: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc0324beb

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1               1       30361   243874701    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

the output in terminal is this:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error  In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

entering that command gives me this:

VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop0

At this point I'm looking for any insight on how to get past this. MKV support is nice, but I don't need it and would rather have my own boot logo, etc =) Thanks in advance guys.
NeedMoreSigSpac
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Need help accessing hidden partition, please!

Post by Overk1ll »

BTW, this was under the lucid lynx build of ubuntu (10.04). I reverted to karmic koala (9.10) and still had the same issue. When using a live CD instead of a hard drive boot, it changes from loop0 to loop1, but nothing else changed.

> I can bounce between 1.7.11 and 1.7.17 firmwares and boot into the Archos OS with no problems
NeedMoreSigSpac
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

Ok, so I'm back to trying to get this to work and after doing a dd starting from the offset 249727726080 (which is correct per the tutorials and my previous scripts before sending it for RMA) and reading the file from a hex editor, I found that there is a **LOT** of blank space before any data starts, and that the data which I am seeing looks like it's OS related (including my saved networks and some UTF8 files). I'm going to play around a bit more but if anybody that is able to mount their hidden partition would be willing to either [A] post where they find the first non-zero lines in their dd output, and what the hex code for those lines is or [B] upload their dd output to my FTP server please PM me -- this is going to drive me insane!

Edit: the hex code that starts all the cramfs.secure files is "D584C2D3" - I used this to successfully find the three files within my dd output file; their offsets were as follows: 079E:3204, 08FF:1204, 0933:1E04

If I can figure out how far off my offsets are from other users, I may be able to find out the correct offset value for my device (which I believe Archos is responsible for changing while my unit was being factory repaired /sadface)

SEE: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _Partition
NeedMoreSigSpac
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

Ok, so I was eventually directed to TestDisk, which is able to find the exact location of the hidden partition and as a result I'm now back up and running my patched firmware, and working on a new boot logo =)

Thanks dm8tbr!
NeedMoreSigSpac

Return to “Open Development”