uncle openAOS needs YOU! - Maemo/Mer anyone? (Video inside!)

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
azaghal
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: uncle openAOS needs YOU! - Maemo/Mer anyone? (Video insi

Post by azaghal »

Everything fails !!!!

I stop working on my archos for a while, I'm litterally sad ... I worked in vain ^^
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Working in vain is 90% of development work sometimes. You have to find a hundred ways something doesn't work before you figure out one way that does... :D

Michael
homen3
Archos User
Archos User

Post by homen3 »

map002 wrote:Working in vain is 90% of development work sometimes. You have to find a hundred ways something doesn't work before you figure out one way that does... :D

Michael

+1 ^^
Gaap
azaghal
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by azaghal »

I spoke with someone who tells me that I should try to run a debian for arm or build a cross linux from scratch and install the extra packages related to mer.

I will try to make an image with the imager again but on an other host machine.

I have not all of the knowledges required for this project so I can't promise anything
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

Seriously Mer is not the way to go here in my opinion. They are all waiting to switch to the open development side of MeeGo. Your time would probably be better spent trying to get MeeGo working.

I'm getting quite far already. I have an booting image but X11 fails to start because either SGX isn't initialized correctly or needs to be rebuilt. If you want to help I can send an image with an USB-serial-console your way.

It would be pretty cool to get MeeGo with Handset-eXperience working as currently this only works on the respective intel and nokia development platforms and we'd be the first independent handheld device.
openAOS
thevegeta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thevegeta »

Hello everyone !

Like dm8tbr said, I think it is more interesting to port MeeGo instead of Mer. MeeGo could be a huge distribution in the future with the support of Nokia and Intel.

@dm8tbr : I'm interesting to help to port MeeGo but I don't exactly know where to start. I have some knowledges in linux kernel, cross compilation, etc...
Do you have a image actually working ?
How can I help (I have some spare time right now...), I'm on an Archos 5g.
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

thevegeta wrote:I'm interesting to help to port MeeGo but I don't exactly know where to start. I have some knowledges in linux kernel, cross compilation, etc...
Do you have a image actually working ?
How can I help (I have some spare time right now...), I'm on an Archos 5g.

Don't expect too much with your hardware (it sadly lacks the SGX core for EGL 3D acceleration), but it should be nevertheless possible to get it working. After all they are also working on some things for the n8x0 which doesn't have that either.

Currently armv7 should be working again (MeeGo switched to GCC 4.5 and broke armv7 builds for several weeks). You can start with the data that can be found on the MeeGo wiki. Especially the BeagleBoard information can be valuable. You will have to skip all the SGX parts though.

As always I'm available on freenode IRC in #openaos and there is an dedicated #meego-arm channel for all things relating to arm devices and meego.
openAOS
vidar
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by vidar »

Is this work on Archos Gen6? IS this stable? I have got Archos 7 160 Gb wifi. Can I setup this?

Return to “Open Development”