Download Spz0's E17 Illume build (A5IMT) *updated*

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Download Spz0's E17 Illume build (A5IMT) *updated*

Post by Spz0 »

A demo Image using the Enlightenment WM

IÔÇÖve been wanting to make angstrom more user friendly for some time, so I decided to start working on an e17 Illume build. There were a bunch things I didnÔÇÖt like about the current gpe build ÔÇö the xkbd being too small, midori web browser being too chunky, the lack of overall user friendliness of the UI, amongst other small issues mostly revolving around functionality of Angstrom.

More info and Download link @

http://www.openaos.org/archives/317
Last edited by Spz0 on Fri May 21, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
www.openAOS.org
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Download Angstrom w/E17 Spz0's build (A5IMT)

Post by dm8tbr »

Spz0 wrote:In the ZIP file is the base "rootfs.img" and "home.img"
As an exercise for the interested readers:
Devise a way to retain the openAOS rootfs.img alongside e17 rootfs.img and find a way to merge the home.img with the one used for the openAOS build.

Tip1:
rename one of both rootfs.img files.
openAOS
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

would you be able to merge the 2 home.img files? I mean, yes in theory, mount then cp one to the the other, sync and good to go, but would that work? I mean, can both matchbox and e17 share the same home.img?

What would be great would be a simple GUI to switch window managers within angstrom. :)
My build still has matchbox installed, so there would just need to be a way to switch to and from

edit::: FIXED. Disregard post.
Last edited by Spz0 on Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.openAOS.org
dbn045
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dbn045 »

Wow Spz0 I'm loving this new gui. It is really sweet keep up the good work!

I've put mine on the netbook theme. And I've also realized when browsing files there isn't a way to right click with a stylus. I could only right click if I had a mouse plugged in. Maybe u could make it so u hold down the stylus for a little and it acts as a right click
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

I've tried, trust me. I haven't found a way yet. If you go into the settings panel, you can screw around with the mouse bindings to see if you can get it to functionally right click, but as of now I haven't been able to.

Also, the Illume profile works well, but I like the default angstrom profile myself.

Thanks m8 :)

Edit::: Illume Profile now defaulted
Last edited by Spz0 on Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.openAOS.org
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Hey would this work?
rename Spz0 rootfs.img to rootfs1.img
then adding that entry to the dual boot text file.
will this work?
openAOS ROCKS!!
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Yes, that will work.
You'll be sharing your home.img with the original openaos home.img, if you don't replace it with mine (giving you my custom GUI). You can however, not replace the home.img and run through the enlightenment setup process and create your own GUI. I just threw in my home.img for sh*ts and giggles (mainly because I already enlarged mostly everything for ease of use/reading). ;)

Cheers

Edit::: Not an issue anymore -- home.img removed -- just overwrite rootfs.img and all settings will be integrated into your current home.img
Last edited by Spz0 on Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.openAOS.org
dbn045
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dbn045 »

Spz0 wrote:I've tried, trust me. I haven't found a way yet. If you go into the settings panel, you can screw around with the mouse bindings to see if you can get it to functionally right click, but as of now I haven't been able to.

Also, the Illume profile works well, but I like the default angstrom profile myself.

Thanks m8 :)

Ah alright. Well i'll keep looking around and try the bindings thanks for this cool build
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Tip:
goto the E17 menu.
"Settings->Modules"
Under "Available Modules ->Settings" Load "Mouse Bindings".
Close
Open "Settings Panel"
Navigate to "Input->Mouse Bindings"
You're there.

Let me know if you have any success. :)

~Cheers
www.openAOS.org
dbn045
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dbn045 »

eh no luck. I tried the binding. Was hoping it would reconize me clicking and holding but it didn't
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

same problem I ran into. What I didnt try, was the "alt +click". That may work. I mean, you'd have to have the keyboard active, which is a b*tch, but it may work.
www.openAOS.org
dbn045
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dbn045 »

Spz0 wrote:same problem I ran into. What I didnt try, was the "alt +click". That may work. I mean, you'd have to have the keyboard active, which is a b*tch, but it may work.
true good idea i'll try that sometime. and yeah it will be a pain but still it'd be nice to have for when u really need it
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

dbn045 wrote:
Spz0 wrote:same problem I ran into. What I didnt try, was the "alt +click". That may work. I mean, you'd have to have the keyboard active, which is a b*tch, but it may work.
true good idea i'll try that sometime. and yeah it will be a pain but still it'd be nice to have for when u really need it
This might be a limitation in combination with the touchscreen driver. Kevin already put lots of time into making it far more usable (can you say SDE trrrrripppleclick!) but it might need some love to work together with whatever e17 does.

just my 0,02Ôé¼
openAOS
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

im thinking that as well. i need to do more testing of e17s environment on my pc reallly, but in theory, assigning alt+left click should be sufficient. although the mouse bindings for right click in e17 are set only to bring up a favorites menu.
www.openAOS.org
aperion
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by aperion »

A few noob questions here. I managed to get it running but I can't hear any sound when playing movies and I can't seem to find a pdf reader. Any help in these areas would be greatly appreciated.
cpimentel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by cpimentel »

Nice work!!! It runs very well.
Eng Chrip
IdiotProof
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by IdiotProof »

So, who has installed this and how'd it go? Is it good enough of a replacement to use instead of Archos default? Also, can someone post a full step by step for a stupid little newbie to this kind of thing like me?
leoinj

Post by leoinj »

Looks great and seems to run just as fast as matchbox. If you have the time, document your changes up on the wiki so we can bake our own versions. It'd be even better if this could be merged in with Kevin's latest builds. So far the only issue I have run into is the problem with menus extending past the edge of the screen so that some of there items are unreadable and impossible to select. Anyone have a quick fix for this? Perhaps a setting I inadvertently triggered when playing with the config.
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

leoinj wrote:If you have the time, document your changes up on the wiki so we can bake our own versions.
I'd be glad to accept an bitbake recipe into the openAOS overlay. I suggest that some people team up to handle this. It should be reasonably easy. It is just summing up the needed packages and maybe shipping an custom default config.
I can be found on IRC for consultation.
openAOS
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

leoinj wrote:Looks great and seems to run just as fast as matchbox. If you have the time, document your changes up on the wiki so we can bake our own versions. It'd be even better if this could be merged in with Kevin's latest builds. So far the only issue I have run into is the problem with menus extending past the edge of the screen so that some of there items are unreadable and impossible to select. Anyone have a quick fix for this? Perhaps a setting I inadvertently triggered when playing with the config.
hah. :) Thanks for the props.
I have the same issue with the menu system. It doesn't seem to be scroll friendly. Thats why I added Start menu buttons on the left-top taskbar, and the bottom-center taskbar. If something doesn't show up when using the top start menu, then it will show when using the bottom start menu, and vice versus. ;) Sloppy fix yeah. heh
This is actually Kevins latest build (199) thats up, with e17 installed ontop. So matchbox is still installed on the system, I just figured out the package installation sequence to get e17 up and running. ;) That, and dumped it into a 1Gb file system and added my keyboard layout. :)
Im still pretty new to linux, and still trying to learn about making my own custom recipes. If I knew how, I'd make my own recipe with e17 stock,,, not to mention a few other builds with different window managers stock. ;)

Thanks Again. :)
www.openAOS.org

Return to “Open Development”