finally running ÔÇô ├àngstr├Âm & Android

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
vl4doman
Archos User
Archos User

finally running ÔÇô ├àngstr├Âm & Android

Post by vl4doman »

dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: finally running ÔÇô ├àngstr├Âm & Android

Post by dm8tbr »

There! Fixed that for ya! ;)
openAOS
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Fantastic! =D> If I might ask, how much memory is left for apps after boot?

And I'd love to know more about that wire rig you've got running into the docking ports... :D

Michael
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

=D>
Fantastic work well done!
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

map002 wrote:Fantastic! =D> If I might ask, how much memory is left for apps after boot?
The unit has 256MB RAM. As we currently don't use kexec we reserve RAM for AVOS regardless of which OS gets booted. Of the 204MB available to the linux kernel after booting and logging into GPE there are only 35MB in use. leaves you with an abundance of about 170MB and if that's not enough you still can start to swap. ;)
Once we get kexec running then we can free the 52MB reserved for AVOS/Android when running ├àngstr├Âm instead.
map002 wrote:And I'd love to know more about that wire rig you've got running into the docking ports... :D
It's pretty easy to wire your dock (needs to have both connectors!) and hook it up to an serial level converter. (prerequisites: soldering iron with fine tip and preferably SMD experience)
I use that for console output so I can debug the boot process (in the terminal window in the background, sadly the lower quality cam doesn't really allow you to see much). Very very helpful. But once we have the system booting the need for such access is greatly reduced as you can either ssh or telnet in or use USB or USB2Serial.
openAOS
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Thanks for clearing that up... I'd thought the A5 IMT only had 128 MB or RAM, so that makes the device much more usable in Android than I though it might be.

As you're using Archos' Android build, does that include Maki and all that? Is the System directory on a write-protected image on this Android build as it is on the stock install of the A5 IT?

Michael
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

map002 wrote:I'd thought the A5 IMT only had 128 MB of RAM, so that makes the device much more usable in Android than I though it might be.
Actually it might become possible at some point to free the reserved RAM on gen6 too if someone ports kexec. (It is already possible by changing the kernel but then you loose the ability to boot AVOS)
map002 wrote:As you're using Archos' Android build, does that include Maki and all that? Is the System directory on a write-protected image on this Android build as it is on the stock install of the A5 IT?
I'm pretty sure I had media playback working. Currently I'm experiencing some issues with my unit and android. I will need people willing to test things out and help work out the kinks soon!
openAOS
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

OK, forgive me, I have a very tiny brain and perhaps I'm becoming confused... :lol:

Aren't you running Android on the Gen 6 A5 AMT here in this video? Or is that a Gen 7 A5 IT on which you've done this?

Michael
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

map002 wrote:Aren't you running Android on the Gen 6 A5 AMT here in this video? Or is that a Gen 7 A5 IT on which you've done this?
Maybe I should have added it to the text of my blog post in the first place. It was just tagged gen7 it wasn't in the text it seems. My brain must have taken a shortcut as I was writing this as a followup to my previous posts on my gen7 endeavors.
openAOS
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Thanks for clearing that up. My brain is no longer smoking and sputtering. :D

Michael
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

dm8tbr wrote:
map002 wrote:Aren't you running Android on the Gen 6 A5 AMT here in this video? Or is that a Gen 7 A5 IT on which you've done this?
Maybe I should have added it to the text of my blog post in the first place. It was just tagged gen7 it wasn't in the text it seems. My brain must have taken a shortcut as I was writing this as a followup to my previous posts on my gen7 endeavors.
So I can forget about running Android on my Archos 7 then?
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

rsksmiles wrote:
dm8tbr wrote:
So I can forget about running Android on my Archos 7 then?
Well if you want to give it a spin. Pop by on IRC some time and I can give you some pointers. I can tell you though it's not going to be snappy and I don't have time to do it myself.
PS: please not before I get the Boot-menu done. Should only take a few days.
openAOS
bdarchos7
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by bdarchos7 »

How do you do this?
www.bdow237.tk youtube.com/bdow237
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

bdarchos7 wrote:How do you do this?
In an elaborate way and fashion. SCNR
openAOS
Kurnalklank
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Kurnalklank »

I'm sry but I still don't get this.
What is the point of it :?:
All I got my A5IT for is the Internet/Music/Movies.
What drove me mad about my A5IT
is that there's no FLASH PLAYER ON IT :x

If this Angstrom thing will play flash player
then I wood c the point of it.
If it dont have flash this thing is no good to me.
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

Kurnalklank wrote:If this Angstrom thing will play flash player
then I wood c the point of it.
If it dont have flash this thing is no good to me.
*waveshandmysteriously* ├àngstr├Âm is not what you are looking for.
openAOS
Matematiks
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Matematiks »

Kurnalklank wrote: If it dont have flash this thing is no good to me.
But You can make it have ;)
If You read a little bit more you will understand that the Open Source means that you can put anything in Your Archos :idea: but You must be prepared on this programing stuff.
Anyway for not professionals like us it is not great stuff,but a good point to start study something new instead of watching TV and continue to use prepared and closed Microsoft and Apple stuff.

Regards from Bulgaria.Niky

EDIT: No Swearing Please - MOD

Return to “Open Development”