Custom boot logo, fw, and other hacks collection site

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Custom boot logo, fw, and other hacks collection site

Post by Overk1ll »

I'm launching a small forum that will be geared towards customizing Archos devices (gen6 especially, but I may expand more). I'm still working out the bugs and such, but I'd like to start collecting boot logos and a userbase now :) I'm spending what time I can on the site, but I'm in recovery from a knee surgery and I can only work on it for short periods of time (gotta keep my leg elevated).

Right now I'm particularly interested in getting people to submit their boot logos, walkthroughs, etc. Also, if anybody here with guru/mod status wants to help, I would appreciate it :D

Feedback and suggestions welcome!
http://archos.overkillhq.com
NeedMoreSigSpac
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Custom boot logo, fw, and other hacks collection site

Post by Overk1ll »

So the lack of any signups is a bit disheartening, but that's ok! Tell me what I need to do to get you interested, or at least contributing material!

To the person with my sense of humor:
I don't have any money, try plan B? :P
NeedMoreSigSpac
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Well, I think you got too much on that site m8. What you've got on your forums are what these forums are for (as well as archos.g3nius, openaos, and my site).
In all honesty, I would just make a section for boot logos and allow visitors to upload (have them provide a valid email address), eliminating the signup/login process.
Or even better, you could get one of the openAOS guys to create a wiki page dedicated to boot logos, then we can upload our custom aos files there?
I was also thinking of expanding my site a little to include some custom boot logos (as well as redesign the site, purchase a domain, and get it the hell off of google sites :p), but I don't have a lot of time to spare these days, so its a hard thing to get around to. lol

Nice lookin site though. ;)
www.openAOS.org
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

Haha...point taken :D I just figure well, if I'm going to have boot logos, I should prolly provide some firmware downloads too...and if I'm going to do that I should prolly have the DTI exploit...meh might as well just have everything so that it only takes one site to go from stock to glory :P It took me a lot of different sources to get my process streamlined and I figured it'd be nice for people to have just one source. That said, if that's all people want I'd be glad to take everything else down.

My problem is that with the limited coding experience I have, PHPBB is about the only thing (that doesn't look like garbage) that I can do...the whole signup thing is just for e-mail validation like when you have to register here. I have been considering making the links point directly to the files so guests can download...was like that originally and I liked it that way, but I haven't had time to work on the site much with my surgery and all :/ If I'm out of bed for more than an hour even the Vicodin doesn't help.

As for a wiki...I'm not sure it's a good idea if people could hypothetically upload a "LOLBRICKED" aos; I'd be more comfortable if there was a human verification process >.> All it takes is some pissed off, bored, and/or stupid kid to poop in the sandbox and ruin it for everybody else. Personally, I like my sandbox brick-free :)
NeedMoreSigSpac
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Overk1ll wrote:As for a wiki...I'm not sure it's a good idea if people could hypothetically upload a "LOLBRICKED" aos
This takes about 5 seconds to verify. Involves unpacking the aos file and making sure the gzipped image is less than the maximum limit.
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

And that the digest isnt flashing into the wrong address, but not everybody knows this and some noob might get pwned ^.^
NeedMoreSigSpac
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

I would venture to say that most people wouldn't know how to do this. But assuming there's not thousands of people waiting to make boot logos for these things, we should be able to keep up with screening/verifying them. :)
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

Well, a couple weeks ago I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, and now I at least have a basic understanding of the process and the components involved. I've seen people do some pretty ridiculous stuff and knowing what people are capable of, I'm slightly paranoid, though I feel it's justified :P I just want to prevent something like that from potentially happening in the first place, but maybe that's because it's my job to think of things like that :P
NeedMoreSigSpac
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

You are right, some people are jerks.

Of course, it would also be pretty easy to write a small program that would verify that the .aos file 1) only flashed the bootlogo and 2) is not beyond the logo file size limit.
Jabberwock
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jabberwock »

Just a thought...

Would it be possible to create an online script that would pack a custom logo with selected firmware into a new .aos file?
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

Well, you don't need to pack it in with a firmware - the AOS file is kind of like a ZIP file in that it's just a container; it doesn't really hold much significance other than it's Archos' special format.

The AOS file contains a digest file which tells your device what commands to execute, so all you need to flash the logo with is the logo and *PROPERLY FORMATTED* digest file (improper formatting could lead to a bricked device).

Creating an online script to do this would almost certainly be possible, but this stuff is relatively easy on the end-user. You could install Linux on your computer the 'normal' way and boot into Linux, or use Sun VirtualBox and use Linux from within your Windows install; either way it's not terribly complicated (for me anyway). I'm working on a guide that will help people not familiar with Linux make their own boot logos, and that should eliminate the need for any online script. I just haven't had the time to work on finishing it up lately. Is something like that guide what you're looking for, or was there another reason you wanted a web application for it?
NeedMoreSigSpac
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

Overk1ll wrote:Is something like that guide what you're looking for, or was there another reason you wanted a web application for it?
Guides are good. Do it when you can and post it!
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

I'm most of the way there, just need to iron out the bugs and add some more detail on a few steps and I'll post it :D Just need to get on my desktop instead of posting on my phone and I'll be good xD
NeedMoreSigSpac
Jabberwock
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jabberwock »

I supposed the online script would be most idiot (like me) proof. You just upload the graphic file and you're done.

Some people (like me) when they see the words "may be bricked" in the instructions, suddenly becomely rather unwilling to try it out :)
Overk1ll
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Overk1ll »

It's mostly for legal purposes - we'd put it on the web script too :P Realistically, if you follow the instructions carefully and accurately, the chances of you bricking your device are slim to none (but if you do, it's still not our fault!) :)

On your device, the two things you need to check to prevent a brick are:
A) Making sure the archive file with your image is less than 128KB in size - anything bigger and it will "spill over" into the part of memory that handles recovery mode. If you're worried about a file being too close, then just don't use it :)
B) Making sure that when you create the AOS file to flash with, you format your digest file correctly. The digest is a list of instructions for your device - it contains all the commands that will be run to update your player. For flashing the boot logo, it's just 3 lines of text, and you can copy the file directly from my guide-to-be if you're that worried.

Both of those things are REALLY easy to check and control so long as you're capable of reading :) My guide will cover how to check them so you feel more comfortable. I think I *might* have my guide ready by the end of this week but we'll see how that goes.
NeedMoreSigSpac

Return to “Open Development”