Original root.cramfs.secure file deleted!!!! Any luck?

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
juan13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Original root.cramfs.secure file deleted!!!! Any luck?

Post by juan13 »

I was always wondering how long are the limits of my stupidity!!! Unfortunately I realised there are no limits. trying to hack my Archos 5, at the step where the root.cramfs.secure has to be copied to the /media/disk folder, due to read-only error, I tried to delete the original =D> :? . That was it. The archos keeps moving from the welcome logo to "recovery mode", Laptop can not recognize it...so it looks like the end has come...anyone has an idea that could help save my Archos :cry:
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Original root.cramfs.secure file deleted!!!! Any luck?

Post by rsksmiles »

:oops: I deleted my comments as they were obviously incorrect :oops:
Last edited by rsksmiles on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

juan13 wrote:The archos keeps moving from the welcome logo to "recovery mode"
You are aware of the fact that the recovery mode is precisely this, a mode for recovering a broken firmware installation? Just use it to install the official Archos firmware again selecting "Repair" and start over...
openAOS
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Im thinking that you just need to re-hack the unit. You overwrite the original root.cramfs file with the hacked copy anyhow,,, so you should be able to get into recovery mode -> repair, remount the hidden partition, copy the necessary files (using nautilus this time), and that should do it.
That is, unless, you can't get into recovery mode. o.0

*edit** yeah, what Grond ^^ said. hehe. Was typing while he posted.
www.openAOS.org
juan13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by juan13 »

The problem is that when I open nautilus I can't copy files as the Read-only warning appears. I tried to put an original firmware at the root but when pressing done at the repair screen, the device reboots and the Archos G6H Recovery (code 101) appears. Any idea?
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

You should most definitely be able to copy files within the nautilus window. I've run into problems trying to "drag and drop" files from another window into the nautilus window.
Select the files you want in nautilus, copy them (CTRL+C), navigate nautilus to /media/disk and paste them (CTRL+V).

Have a look at this tutorial to make sure you are running through the steps correctly.
http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt ... our-archos
www.openAOS.org
juan13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by juan13 »

The problem now is that after a format it seems there is no firmware. After that happens, should I follow your guide including downgrading etc? Because everytime I put a firmware file in the root of the archos and press done, the recovery 101 screen appears
ojro86
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ojro86 »

juan13 wrote:The problem now is that after a format it seems there is no firmware. After that happens, should I follow your guide including downgrading etc? Because everytime I put a firmware file in the root of the archos and press done, the recovery 101 screen appears
Go to the Archos site and select to download 1.7.1.1 because it needs to be a certain firmware and a certain file name make sure when you download it it is name like Archos5-7 firmware, or something like that
juan13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by juan13 »

That did the trick. Thanx a lot man
ojro86
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ojro86 »

No problem, if you wanna try downgrading try the youtube guides it.

Return to “Open Development”