Rolling Open Development back to the 600 series pls?

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Rolling Open Development back to the 600 series pls?

Post by BloodyIron »

Okay so I have a (almost) perfectly working Archos 605 WIFI, problem is the HDD died, and well... It's supposedly serial locked to the device. As such, can Archos please unlock this series so I can replace the HDD and bring it back online? I know it will take some time, and I'm more than willing to wait (I don't want to throw out perfectly good technology). So if I could get some acknowledgment on this matter I would appreciate it.

Thanks
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Rolling Open Development back to the 600 series pls?

Post by map002 »

Unless something is going on that I really am unaware of, the open development SDE does not unlock the HDD of devices where it has been installed.

Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary, as that would be rather massive news...

Michael
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

map002 wrote:Unless something is going on that I really am unaware of, the open development SDE does not unlock the HDD of devices where it has been installed.

Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary, as that would be rather massive news...

Michael
My understanding is the device is locked to the HDD serial (inverse of what you are describing). So if I were to replace the HDD it would not work with the device, which is my issue.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Yeah, sorry, sloppy writing. And what you want still doesn't happen to Gen 6 and 7 devices with the SDE installed to the best of my knowledge. If you know something else, please let us know more (step-by-step guide maybe?)!

Michael
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

map002 wrote:Yeah, sorry, sloppy writing. And what you want still doesn't happen to Gen 6 and 7 devices with the SDE installed to the best of my knowledge. If you know something else, please let us know more (step-by-step guide maybe?)!

Michael
I'm just going off second hand information which someone told me on these forums a long time ago, forget who. As for if the SDE works on the 600's, I have no idea.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

OK, I thought maybe you'd made some kind of mad breakthrough! Thanks for clearing that up.

OK, so no, the SDE is only for the Archos 5/7 IT/IMT, will not work on the 605 and does nothing to unlock any devices for HDD replacement on those devices (although some exploits to do so may possibly require the SDE). There are existing HDD replacement hacks for the gen 6 devices but not yet on the gen 7 devices.

So even if Archos were to release an SDE for your device, it would not in and of itself allow you to replace the HDD or even necessarily be a prerequisite for hacking the HDD lock on your device.

Michael
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

I just verified. Both the gen6 and gen7 SDE recovery kernels perform the hdd_lock. The init (regular) kernel does not, and wouldn't matter if it did as you could just write your own. So the short answer is... you can run a custom HDD using the SDE. But if the original HDD ever dies, then you will NOT be able to boot the recovery kernel ever again.
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Guys just use the patched SDE from archos.g3nius.org, I have finally got thr dual boot working, not lost my DRM keys, and have the patched AVOS with the GF hack and Angstrom using Kevin's latest files. I still have the ability to play DRM content I guess and no HDD lock checks in place.
Me talking about the Archos 5 IMT
openAOS ROCKS!!
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

CheBuzz wrote:I just verified. Both the gen6 and gen7 SDE recovery kernels perform the hdd_lock. The init (regular) kernel does not, and wouldn't matter if it did as you could just write your own. So the short answer is... you can run a custom HDD using the SDE. But if the original HDD ever dies, then you will NOT be able to boot the recovery kernel ever again.
My original HDD has already died and it's wayyyy past warranty :(
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Hi CheBuzz,

So let me make sure I understand this correctly.. I can replace the HDD with the SDE but if I did, I could not reflash a stock Archos FW after that?

And could I use an Archos FW in a dual-boot on the SDE with a custom HDD?

Thanks so much for the info.

Michael
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Correct. But you can't boot into recovery menu. That means that you couldn't update your kernel unless your replaced the custom HDD with the "authorized" one. And yes, this includes dual-boot, with AVOS.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

That's great to know! Thanks for that!

Michael
moot
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by moot »

CheBuzz wrote:Correct. But you can't boot into recovery menu. That means that you couldn't update your kernel unless your replaced the custom HDD with the "authorized" one. And yes, this includes dual-boot, with AVOS.
Have you really tried that ?
Recovery's hdd lock check does not stop recovery boot... (at least on Gen6 & Gen7 devices).
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Haven't actually tried it, no. I just looked through the init for the recovery kernel and saw that it was calling hdd_lock. Though to be honest, I didn't follow the logic all the way through to see if it would stop the boot process. It would be nice if somebody could find this out for sure.
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

So just to be clear, has anyone had any success replacing the HDD in a 605 series device with their own HDD?
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

BloodyIron wrote:So just to be clear, has anyone had any success replacing the HDD in a 605 series device with their own HDD?
I did that a long time ago (80G in a 605-30) but you don't want to know that because I did that with a hackable firmware. You probably want to know whether it can be done on a non-hackable firmware. I'm afraid it cannot.
openAOS
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

grond wrote:
BloodyIron wrote:So just to be clear, has anyone had any success replacing the HDD in a 605 series device with their own HDD?
I did that a long time ago (80G in a 605-30) but you don't want to know that because I did that with a hackable firmware. You probably want to know whether it can be done on a non-hackable firmware. I'm afraid it cannot.
</3

The problem was I had to send it in for repairs about the time they blocked the cracked firmware :/ And I'm sure you know Archos RMA policy about firmware...

Hence why I want to see a hacker's firmware for my precious currently dead 605.

Return to “Open Development”