Backing up DRM keys?

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Raingna
Archos User
Archos User

Backing up DRM keys?

Post by Raingna »

So, with the advent of the dual boot, I'm mostly decided to give the SDE a try. However, something that does worry me somewhat is losing the DRM keys. I have never played any DRM'd content in my A5 so far (And I seriously doubt I will), but I don't like losing features just for the sake of it.

If I understand how this works, wouldn't it be possible to run some program in a stock or hacked firmware unit via the hack that dumps the DRM keys; and then restore them in the SDE using another piece of code?

(Notice I'm talking about dumping your own keys for your own use. If any forum authority sees this as piracy, please remove the post at will)
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Backing up DRM keys?

Post by BloodyIron »

This post is relevant to my legitimate interests. I too would consider the SDE if I could revert some time to a DRM-enabled state.
LuciferTengu
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by LuciferTengu »

Archos removed the keys from the SDE for several reasons including mostly not wanting to get sued and a deterrent against people who were not absolutely committed to understanding and dealing the SDE's upsides and downsides. And AFIK, DRM keys are unique to each device, so it is pretty much out of Archos hands. I think most developers could care less about the DRM right now, Archilles only mentioned releasing a hack that unlocked them to get Archos to release the SDE.
-LT
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

So now you know, PM Archilles and see if you can get him to release the hack!

Michael
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Guys just use the patched SDE from archos.g3nius.org, I have finally got thr dual boot working, not lost my DRM keys, and have the patched AVOS with the GF hack and Angstrom using Kevin's latest files. I still have the ability to play DRM content I guess and no HDD lock checks in place.
Me talking about the Archos 5 IMT
Sorry about posting the same thing over at other topics but justed waned people incase they didnt know. If you want me to delete all the repeated posts I will do so, please inform me is so :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
Raingna
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Raingna »

nokiae50 wrote:Guys just use the patched SDE from archos.g3nius.org, I have finally got thr dual boot working, not lost my DRM keys, and have the patched AVOS with the GF hack and Angstrom using Kevin's latest files. I still have the ability to play DRM content I guess and no HDD lock checks in place.
Me talking about the Archos 5 IMT
Sorry about posting the same thing over at other topics but justed waned people incase they didnt know. If you want me to delete all the repeated posts I will do so, please inform me is so :)
Assuming you mean this SDE:

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... E_Firmware

I don't see anything there about not removing the DRM keys. Could you elaborate a bit?
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Well its doesnt mention anything about that in their site. But I think I still have the ability to play protected files. Will upload a pic when I get back home
openAOS ROCKS!!

Return to “Open Development”