SDE and new applications

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Ate_Bit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

SDE and new applications

Post by Ate_Bit »

Now that the SDE has been out for a while, and people are starting to test things out, it raises a question for me:

If the community creates new apps for the IMT, how did Archos think that other people would be able to take advantage of them? :roll:
Expecting the masses to install the SDE is not an option, and they even state it is not ready for that.
Can a AOS file be used to install files? It appears that Archos designed it only for firmwares.

Confused and dazed... :?:
5IMT, A70S v2.4.81 HW v7, SGP 5.0
Ate_Bit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: SDE and new applications

Post by Ate_Bit »

Thoughts anyone?
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

Ate_Bit wrote:Now that the SDE has been out for a while, and people are starting to test things out, it raises a question for me:

If the community creates new apps for the IMT, how did Archos think that other people would be able to take advantage of them? :roll:
Expecting the masses to install the SDE is not an option, and they even state it is not ready for that.
Can a AOS file be used to install files? It appears that Archos designed it only for firmwares.

Confused and dazed... :?:
we did not expect the "masses" to install the SDE, we released it so that "hackers" could have access to the hardware and "do their own thing", which they have been asking us for all the time...
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

Why not simply open up the existing Archos os?

The Archos 7 that I have is an outstanding piece of kit but it could do so much more. If it it was opened up to the community of developers Archos would surely gain more interest in their products.

I understand their decision to market it as a simple multimedia tablet with a few extras ... but it could be so much more. I bought it to have a portable media player and to read books. The web is an added bonus for me. But now that I have it I would like to see it do more.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

rsksmiles wrote:Why not simply open up the existing Archos os?
Because of the cheap Asian competition?
openAOS
Ate_Bit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Ate_Bit »

nz wrote:
we did not expect the "masses" to install the SDE, we released it so that "hackers" could have access to the hardware and "do their own thing", which they have been asking us for all the time...
nz,
Thanks for the reply. I see now that the community would need to create a complete firmware replacement to realize any new applications. My question started from the statement on the SDE download page that said it was "a starting point to develop applications..." My hope was that functionality could be added to the base firmware
stplatt
Archos User
Archos User

Post by stplatt »

The Archos 7 that I have is an outstanding piece of kit but it could do so much more. If it it was opened up to the community of developers Archos would surely gain more interest in their products.

I understand their decision to market it as a simple multimedia tablet with a few extras ... but it could be so much more. I bought it to have a portable media player and to read books. The web is an added bonus for me. But now that I have it I would like to see it do more.
Sounds like you want the new "iPad".
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

grond wrote:
Because of the cheap Asian competition?
Sorry I am being slow today ... If there is cheap asian competition out there then surely making the Archos more open would assist in keeping Archos more attractive and competitive? Or what am I missing?
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

stplatt wrote:

Sounds like you want the new "iPad".
No I do not want an iPad. I wanted something a little more discrete.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

stplatt wrote:Sounds like you want the new "iPad".
How do "open" and "Apple" go together?
openAOS
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

rsksmiles wrote:If there is cheap asian competition out there then surely making the Archos more open would assist in keeping Archos more attractive and competitive? Or what am I missing?
You are missing the fact that anyone could copy Archos code to their products.
openAOS
rsksmiles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rsksmiles »

grond wrote:
rsksmiles wrote:If there is cheap asian competition out there then surely making the Archos more open would assist in keeping Archos more attractive and competitive? Or what am I missing?
You are missing the fact that anyone could copy Archos code to their products.
Okay thanks but doesn't the archos use a flavour of linux?
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

rsksmiles wrote:Okay thanks but doesn't the archos use a flavour of linux?
Sure but that doesn't mean that all of the code is open. Also there is this DRM problem. "Open" and "DRM" don't fit together which is also why the SDE deletes the DRM keys during installation.
openAOS
stplatt
Archos User
Archos User

Post by stplatt »

grond wrote:
stplatt wrote:Sounds like you want the new "iPad".
How do "open" and "Apple" go together?
They don't. It was based on this:
rksmiles wrote:I bought it to have a portable media player and to read books. The web is an added bonus for me. But now that I have it I would like to see it do more.
This is exactly what the iPad does... portable media player, books, web, so much more. Just sayin'.
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

You can browse the web on the iPad, as long as you don't need flash support. http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/24731/?a=f

Zac

Return to “Open Development”