can you hack from a windows PC.

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can you hack from a windows PC.

Post by quickcycles »

Hi guys,

I've trawled through as much as I can to try answer my Q but with no joy.

I want to be able to get the plugins for free (just paid a few hundred for my A7 don't want to be paying any more!)

I run Win7 on my PC - Can I hack the Archos from this? I've also noticed there's a few options? GF Hack and mouldy cheese. Which is best for free plugins for movies?

Thanks in advance,

QC
Ate_Bit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: can you hack from a windows PC.

Post by Ate_Bit »

Quickcycles,

The biggest problem with trying to perform any of these hacks, patches, etc. is that the ARCHOS is a LINUX device and formatted in EXT3.
In order to use the hacks the way they exist now, you really need a Linux OS. Even if you could access an EXT3 device through windows, the permission structure is totally different.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as my PC config goes. But it's not a problem, just use a Linux Live CD (like Ubuntu.) With a Live CD you can boot to a Linux distro without installing it or affecting any files on your Win7 system.

As far as your second question, you don't pick what plugins you want, GF enables all of the plug ins.

Hope this clarifies things.
5IMT, A70S v2.4.81 HW v7, SGP 5.0
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

Thanks for your reply.

if I take the step to run the limux like you advise how difficult is it then to downgrade and hack? given that I have NO linux knowledge in any way.

How comprehensive are the guides - are they enough for a non-linux user?

Do I just give up now and hand over some more of my hard earned cash?

Thanks.

QC
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

The guides are to the point that if you read carefully, and follow each step to the letter, you'll have no problem downgrading, patching your device. :)

Good Luck.
www.openAOS.org
siddys
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by siddys »

quickcycles wrote:Thanks for your reply.

if I take the step to run the limux like you advise how difficult is it then to downgrade and hack? given that I have NO linux knowledge in any way.

How comprehensive are the guides - are they enough for a non-linux user?

Do I just give up now and hand over some more of my hard earned cash?

Thanks.

QC
I too have never used Linux, but i ran it from a CD and followed the instructions on this site and all went perfectly, just make sure you get the spaces etc in the correct place, and type the commands in dont copy and paste, doing this caused me a minor problem :)
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

thanks for all your help on this.

can you point me the right direction for:

-the most comprehensive guide to downgrade
-the most comprehensive guide to hack
-a guide to run linux.

Also, while I'm running linux can I still access my Win7 and these guides - or do I need to print them off?

Thanks.

QC

------edit--------

as you can tell I'm a little apprehensive at this kind of stuff, once I've done it I'm OK (I can flash X360s, Wiis, PSPs) but its always the first time I'm a little scared.

Is there anyone out there that offers live walkthrough/support say on MSN or something for a small fee?

Thanks again,

QC
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Downgrading Firmware:
http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... 5_firmware

Installing Patched firmware:
http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games

Ubuntu Linux download (ISO):
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Burn the ISO image onto a disk, then boot from your CD drive. Ubuntu will load up a gui. You can choose to run Ubuntu without installing it on your computer (you run it remotely from the CD). This takes longer for it to load up, but its great if you don't want to install linux on ur system.
You should have full web capabilities inside Ubuntu, but just to be safe, print off the above docs.
You'll be surprised how similar ubuntu is to a windows OS.

as for a live walkthrough,, not that I know of. But like I said before, as long as you read carefully, and follow the steps to a tee, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Good Luck m8. :)
www.openAOS.org
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

Thanks for your help on this!

I will print them off just to be sure.

I'll be doing it on Wednesday (when the mrs isn't here to distract me)

I'll post feedback when I've done.

Does archosfans have a donate option?

Qc
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Hmm, I haven't seen a donate option on the site itself, but..... <opens pocket wide> ;) :lol:
www.openAOS.org
lespaul2510
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by lespaul2510 »

quickcycles wrote:Thanks for your help on this!

I will print them off just to be sure.

I'll be doing it on Wednesday (when the mrs isn't here to distract me)

I'll post feedback when I've done.

Does archosfans have a donate option?

Qc
Before you do that, I would recommend this guide instead as I had difficulty understanding the other one.
http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/
It's basically the same thing, just worded and organized a bit better. I too was a Linux newb and everything worked out fine for me. Couldn't be happier.
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

just getting everything ready for the big day!! :?

That final message saying use Archos 5 IMT - will the guide be the same for Archos 7?

Also, does it matter what my firmware is at the moment? I know I'm going to downgrade it but when I do psp's you can't always downgrade from certain versions.

Thanks again,

QC

----------------edit--------------

scrap both those questions - I've just found the info that I need and if anyone is in the same boat:

quote: This page describes the process of downgrading the firmware on the Archos 5 or Archos 7 devices.

This procedure works for all current Archos firmwares, up to and including 1.7.11.

---------------edit---------------
OMG!!!!!

I've just read (or tried to) read step 2 - WTF - I'm utterly baffled! I really think I need to give up on this now. :(

--------------edit---------------

right - I've had a quick look at ubunto and started the process. I struggled finding how to 'mount' the drive. I managed to locate 'terminal' and get it to list all my drives and I think I managed to pick the details out for the right drive. I saved it as a .odg file (that's all I could find to save it as :oops:

now I'm back on windows I can't open it but I've stuck it on rapidshare - can someone take a look and tell me what my next command prompt will be?

http://rapidshare.com/files/341566195/Untitled_1.odg

Thanks.
ghostofbunuel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ghostofbunuel »

quickcycles wrote:thanks for all your help on this.

can you point me the right direction for:

-the most comprehensive guide to downgrade
-the most comprehensive guide to hack
-a guide to run linux.

Also, while I'm running linux can I still access my Win7 and these guides - or do I need to print them off?

Thanks.

QC

------edit--------

as you can tell I'm a little apprehensive at this kind of stuff, once I've done it I'm OK (I can flash X360s, Wiis, PSPs) but its always the first time I'm a little scared.

Is there anyone out there that offers live walkthrough/support say on MSN or something for a small fee?

Thanks again,

QC
I used virtualbox under xp: More info
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

the ubunto isn't relly the issue - it's the figures for the partition - I'm not sure how to work it out so hoping someone can do it for me.

Qc

---------edit---------

I've found some really good videos on YouTube that I think will help a lot as well so gonna give it a go tonight if I can get the mrs off the pc!

Updates to follow.

Qc
ghostofbunuel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ghostofbunuel »

quickcycles wrote:the ubunto isn't relly the issue - it's the figures for the partition - I'm not sure how to work it out so hoping someone can do it for me.

Qc

---------edit---------

I've found some really good videos on YouTube that I think will help a lot as well so gonna give it a go tonight if I can get the mrs off the pc!

Updates to follow.

Qc
What exact line of the tutorial are you having a problem with? Must have details...
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

I was struggling with what numbers to use for the calculations but have managed to work it out.

For those interested - I have succesfully downgraded my firmware - tomorrow I apply all the extra bits!!

:)
twizted25
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twizted25 »

I hacked my archos 605 wifi 2.1.04 using GTF3 and Windows 7
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

twizted25 wrote:I hacked my archos 605 wifi 2.1.04 using GTF3 and Windows 7
that's wicked.

perhaps you could do a bit of a guide for those that haven't managed to hack theirs yet?

I've managed to apply the GF hack and now have all plugins - WooHoo!

What's the mouldy cheese hack for?

QC
notacreativeguy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by notacreativeguy »

I believe I successfully installed the patched firmware (everything in the instructions happened as it said it should), but I read somewhere if the patched firmware is installed the penguin logo should appear at startup. Is this true? Because I don't get that. Could someone let me know before I continue with trying to apply the GF hack?
quickcycles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by quickcycles »

I'm not sure if it has to but once I ran the DT games I had a penguin logo at the beginning.
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

If you are trying to follow archos.g3nius.org instructions and the penguin doesn't show up, it messed up somewhere.

Return to “Open Development”