Mouldy Cheese and hard drive lock

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
tlhIngan
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mouldy Cheese and hard drive lock

Post by tlhIngan »

This is a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

I have two 605-160s and would like to know if the mouldy cheese hack (the one with the patched bootloaders) also breaks the hard drive lock so you can replace the hard drive freely.

I know Guy Fawkes does (I also have an Archos 5), but wasn't sure if mouldy cheese did.

If it does on the non-160 hard drives, I guess I'll have to start getting busy trying to figure out how to get mouldy cheese working on it.
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Mouldy Cheese and hard drive lock

Post by generic_username »

if someone knows for sure feel free to pop in here, but afaik, the checks have been removed

to replace hd you will need similar zif harddrive and most likely an interface to connect zif to usb or some internal hd connector (not sure if you have to copy system files externally, you might be able to use the repair option in the emergency boot?)
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

It was reported that the 605 moldy cheese hack did in fact remove the hard drive check.
tlhIngan
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tlhIngan »

And I know there was an issue with the 160GB units - does the moldy cheese also remove the lock from that one, or no?

(I have one 160GB that's only good for GFT3, but I have another that can have moldy cheese applied - the former has plugins I bought, the latter was a spare. I'd like to be able to change the drives when they eventually die).
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

It would only remove the lock for that if you flashed the hacked cpio to flash, as the 160GB devices do not load the cpio.secure file from the harddrive.

Return to “Open Development”