modifying bootargs

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
cuse
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

modifying bootargs

Post by cuse »

Does anybody know how to modify the bootargs (kernel parameters) on the Archos5/7 Angstrom edition? The bootargs are hard coded into the bootloader, right?

If modifying the bootargs is too hard, maybe replacing the kernel by my own one baken from OE is more simple. There is no signature check or something on the Angstrom edition, is there?
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: modifying bootargs

Post by grond »

cuse wrote:Does anybody know how to modify the bootargs (kernel parameters) on the Archos5/7 Angstrom edition? The bootargs are hard coded into the bootloader, right?
Yes but I think they can be overwritten in the actual kernel config.

There is no signature check or something on the Angstrom edition, is there?
No, there isn't. That's the point of the SDE... ;)
openAOS
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

cuse wrote:Does anybody know how to modify the bootargs (kernel parameters) on the Archos5/7 Angstrom edition? The bootargs are hard coded into the bootloader, right?

If modifying the bootargs is too hard, maybe replacing the kernel by my own one baken from OE is more simple. There is no signature check or something on the Angstrom edition, is there?
they are hardcoded in the kernel
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

nz wrote:they are hardcoded in the kernel
What purpose do the bootargs strings in the bootloader have then? Bit-rot?
openAOS
cuse
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cuse »

grond wrote:
Yes but I think they can be overwritten in the actual kernel config.
You mean when recompiling the kernel? Well, if I recompile the kernel I can of course hack everything directly in the sources, but I thought I could simply modify the kernel bootargs somewhere somehow, to save time by not having to recompile the kernel.

Do I just have to bake the kernel with OE and install the resulting .ipk packages or do I have to flash something?
nz
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by nz »

grond wrote:
nz wrote:they are hardcoded in the kernel
What purpose do the bootargs strings in the bootloader have then? Bit-rot?
they would still be used if there were none in the kernel, but since we don't want random boot loader settings to affect the kernel boot, we put them in the kernel for release SW of course...
cuse
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cuse »

nz wrote:
grond wrote:they would still be used if there were none in the kernel, but since we don't want random boot loader settings to affect the kernel boot, we put them in the kernel for release SW of course...
uhm.... "random boot loader settings"? What do you mean with that?

Return to “Open Development”