GFT3 (Stable v1.0) for archos605 wifi (Software Jailbreak)

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
mr_nobody
Archos User
Archos User

Re: GFT3 (Stable v1.0) for archos605 wifi (Software Jailbreak)

Post by mr_nobody »

Okay, I had some spare time today so figured I would take a look at whether this would be possible with the 605F. As per satscan's advice, I revised restartavos.sh to remove sdio_host_davinci and sdio_dma_davinci and add sdio_host_w86l488. I copied the avos file from my device (firmware 1.7.13) to /mnt/data and ran hack.sh. As far as I can tell, avos did restart properly rather than causing a spontaneous reboot of the device as before. However, I'm not sure how I can verify this. jsplugins was renamed to jspluginsx which I expected but avos was also renamed to avosx. Is that supposed to happen? I'm happy to upload my avos (for generic_username?) but I want to make sure it is worth doing since I'm in a little over my head here. Also, does it matter that I'm on 1.7.13 rather than the newer firmware in terms of patching the avos file? Lots of questions, hope the wiser ones of you might have some answers. ;) Thanks.

[edit]: Whoops, some more info. It seems after restarting avos, suspend no longer works properly, suspend results in a shutdown. What's that all about?

[edit2]: And wifi also does not work after running the hack so I guess some things remain to be worked out.

[edit3]: Hmmm, I think I had some typos in my restartavos.sh. :oops: As far as I can tell, things are now working properly. I await further input...
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

mr_nobody wrote:Okay, I had some spare time today so figured I would take a look at whether this would be possible with the 605F. As per satscan's advice, I revised restartavos.sh to remove sdio_host_davinci and sdio_dma_davinci and add sdio_host_w86l488. I copied the avos file from my device (firmware 1.7.13) to /mnt/data and ran hack.sh. As far as I can tell, avos did restart properly rather than causing a spontaneous reboot of the device as before. However, I'm not sure how I can verify this. jsplugins was renamed to jspluginsx which I expected but avos was also renamed to avosx. Is that supposed to happen? I'm happy to upload my avos (for generic_username?) but I want to make sure it is worth doing since I'm in a little over my head here. Also, does it matter that I'm on 1.7.13 rather than the newer firmware in terms of patching the avos file? Lots of questions, hope the wiser ones of you might have some answers. ;) Thanks.

[edit]: Whoops, some more info. It seems after restarting avos, suspend no longer works properly, suspend results in a shutdown. What's that all about?

[edit2]: And wifi also does not work after running the hack so I guess some things remain to be worked out.
Yeah, looks like some other modules need unloading/loading. I had quite a hard time getting it right, if you can browse the root filesystem you might find some hints in /etc/init.d/S20modules. I did it by trial and error, and it took several attempts to get it right on a 605 30GB hard disk model, I didn't notice a problem with suspend, but the wifi was broken until I got the correct modules unloaded/reloaded.

It should be possible though. As for the plugins unlock, I assume generic_username is gonna scan for the same code signatures in the 4G flash avos binary, that may work, but it would be pretty lucky if it does.

Without the plugins unlock, you still have a hack that survives reboot and allows root access, and enables you to run arbitrary code, I might try to get qtopia working a bit better so there are some more useful apps, and the qtopia virtual keyboard is too tiny for practical use, if I can improve that, then the terminal app would actually be useful for linux enthusiasts.

btw, I replaced the battery (from newmp3technology.com), it didn't require any soldering, just splicing the wires together, the new battery is smaller in size than the original but I do get the expected 5+ hours of video playback now, so it all seems fine.

(edit: /mnt/data/avos gets renamed to avosx once it has been copied once, so that it doesn't get copied everytime, just rename it back to avos if you want it to be copied over again (eg to try different versions of avos))
mr_nobody
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mr_nobody »

sideways wrote: Yeah, looks like some other modules need unloading/loading. I had quite a hard time getting it right, if you can browse the root filesystem you might find some hints in /etc/init.d/S20modules. I did it by trial and error, and it took several attempts to get it right on a 605 30GB hard disk model, I didn't notice a problem with suspend, but the wifi was broken until I got the correct modules unloaded/reloaded.

It should be possible though. As for the plugins unlock, I assume generic_username is gonna scan for the same code signatures in the 4G flash avos binary, that may work, but it would be pretty lucky if it does.

Without the plugins unlock, you still have a hack that survives reboot and allows root access, and enables you to run arbitrary code, I might try to get qtopia working a bit better so there are some more useful apps, and the qtopia virtual keyboard is too tiny for practical use, if I can improve that, then the terminal app would actually be useful for linux enthusiasts.

btw, I replaced the battery (from newmp3technology.com), it didn't require any soldering, just splicing the wires together, the new battery is smaller in size than the original but I do get the expected 5+ hours of video playback now, so it all seems fine.
Ha, you replied prior to my third edit above! ;) Why I should not edit posts. So I think things are working now. I will upload the avos for generic to take a look at.

I always thought qtopia was pretty promising. There were some graphic glitches, the keyboard (which I thought was pretty usable) typed characters twice and the pda functions would not sync properly with the desktop software. Even fixing those would be great. But konqueror or ebook reader would also be cool. No pressure. ;)
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

ok, cool it looks like the avos restart is working.

Now you just need to hack it a la archilles to disable the plugins checks :)
mr_nobody
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mr_nobody »

Here is my avos if anyone wants to take a look at it...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gjymtn2ezug/Avos.zip
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

@divx118

those scrollbars are nice, I think you can also enable them and configure some other things by editing an opera config file (which you can do with a bind mount on the relevant directory, forget exactly which now)

Since this hack survives reboot, it might be worth revisiting some of these old ideas that were discovered around the time of the original GFT (they weren't practical at the time because GFT didn't survive reboot)

you can also browse the local filesystem (and open any text files in opera) by removing the localhost restriction in /usr/opera/opera_dir/urlfilter.ini (and by some more configuration you should be able to set the helper app which opens a document, but it's been a long time since I looked at that so don't recall exactly)

edit: some relevant links:

http://www.openpma.org/gen4/GFT-Exploit:Opera_Notes

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=11966
mrdoc
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mrdoc »

divx118 wrote:http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... a&start=31

If it isn't easy enough for you then maybe someone who has more time then me will post a tutorial with screenshots.

Maurice 8)
it will be great if u can post step by step guide for original previously unhancked firmware.
mrdoc
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mrdoc »

O dear LORD!!!
I have Cinema, video Podcast, Streaming & Flash, DishNet, RealVideo, Web TV & Radio, Screen & C plug ins!!!!
A million thanks to all who made it possible!!!!
I just had to put in Firmware 2.1.04 and followed the steps again....
mrdoc
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mrdoc »

sigh..
when i turned on the unit today, first thing i did was to check available plug ins, i see only the web browser (that i always had). I copied every thing again (system.bin, arcwelder and all files in gft3) just like i did i did the first time, enabled the wifi n fileserver, accessed the "Hack" from my pc>network, then restarted the unit, removed "x" from jspluginsx, then ran the "dohack". I waited about 5 min, there was no hdd activity going on and unit didnt restart (unlike last time). I restarted it myself, still dont see the plugins.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:
I have figured out the issue. The hack doesnt survive the full shutdown n restart. After the restart, i just changed the name of folder from jspluginsx to jsplugins and ran the "dohack" again. It works now, stays ok after suspend n resume.
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

It does survive full shutdown and restart if you set it up properly.
(It even survives "Repair filesystem" option during reboot)

The instructions are clear in post #1.

If you read carefully you would not have to spam the thread with your "issues"

(Make sure you download the latest stable version of gft3)
keoton
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by keoton »

Help anyone have this on another dl site?

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /archos605/gft3_v1.0.zip could not be found on this server.
Apache Server at www.jbg.f2s.com Port 80
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

sideways wrote:@divx118

those scrollbars are nice, I think you can also enable them and configure some other things by editing an opera config file (which you can do with a bind mount on the relevant directory, forget exactly which now)

Since this hack survives reboot, it might be worth revisiting some of these old ideas that were discovered around the time of the original GFT (they weren't practical at the time because GFT didn't survive reboot)

you can also browse the local filesystem (and open any text files in opera) by removing the localhost restriction in /usr/opera/opera_dir/urlfilter.ini (and by some more configuration you should be able to set the helper app which opens a document, but it's been a long time since I looked at that so don't recall exactly)
Well I only needed the scrollbars. Because opera.ini is hardcoded in avos, I thought this was the best way since we are already hacking into avos. There isn't much else you can use opera.ini for unless you want to use a proxy. The urlfilter.ini was the next step, but also there the only interesting thing is to enable the local filebrowsing.
I am however very busy the past- and upcoming weeks with my work. That is also the reason I didn't do anything with Qtopia yet.
Today I stopped early at my work and have some time this afternoon, my wife goes to a friend so no nagging for quality time like shopping for clothes ;)

Maurice 8)

@keoton, sometimes servers go down or need to be restarted just some patience and try another time. I had no problem downloading.
pandyBox
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pandyBox »

I have mirrored the post and downloads here http://www.techtir.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3353

I'm not 100% sure if it's upto date.
160G 605 WiFi
pandyBox
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pandyBox »

I haven't tested this yet. I think originally it did not work on 160GByte drive which is what I have (two years old?).

is it tested on 160GByte with last Archos 2.1xx SW release?

I have all plugins, though the only ones I ever have used are vTuner (good value) and webBrowser. The only video I bother with is stuff I encode myself.
160G 605 WiFi
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

pandyBox wrote:I haven't tested this yet. I think originally it did not work on 160GByte drive which is what I have (two years old?).

is it tested on 160GByte with last Archos 2.1xx SW release?

I have all plugins, though the only ones I ever have used are vTuner (good value) and webBrowser. The only video I bother with is stuff I encode myself.
It should work for the 160Gb. Also you can always try. If you are really that unlucky and mess things up badly a complete reformat and installing the original firmware would bring things back to normal. On the other hand I can't imagine how you could mess up that badly, it is almost impossible. The hack is only software based, and doesn't write to the flash.
However there isn't much you can do right now with the hack.
1) Get root access and compile your own programs to run.
2) Install the openpma Qtopia release which isn't fully functional.
3) Enable all plugins
4) Enable scrollbars for the opera browser

Maurice 8)
pandyBox
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pandyBox »

1) Is the only think I ever wanted :) It's what makes PCs, netbooks, laptops running OSX, Windows, Solaris, Linux useful.
2) IMO a pointless backward step in functionality.
3) No need for me, technically theft anyway.
4) maybe...

1) I'll port my auto hypertext creating TextEditor as eBook Reader. If you double click a word it opens the file of same name, or offers to create it. It uses no HTML. It's in OS independent Console app written in Modula-2, so should be not too hard to port to C on ARM. I've used SharpDevelop on Windows and gcc on x86 debian to xcompile to several ARM / Linux platforms.

The only non-text in it is Soft-carriage return, like in early versions of Wordstar/NewWord.

Unless anyone has a better free source for an eReader/Notes software?

I'm not interested in putting any effort, ever, in to Android as in reality it's Google controlled and intended for locked devices to App Store. Note they pull new versions out of a hat, closed source, closed road map & development and then publish the "open source" later. They want to have all advantages of MS, Apple and OSS. Keeping their pastries AND eating them. Really, ultimately Android porting would be as pointless as WinCE/Mobile or iPhone/iSlate OS. Replacing one locked ecosystem with a differently locked ecosystem.

The Qtopia/OpenPDA type projects are going nowhere. We need to just build a good set of API docs/tool chain to add apps to the existing A605 FW. I don't believe there are enough good developers to build a stable alternate Firmware with as much functionality or ease of use.

Maybe porting maemo *might* be an option, if it could be ported to other PMPs 800x480 (or support multiple res) also so that an App produced will run not just on Maemo on A605, but on N9xx, and also later Archos PMPs (gen6 etc.), or ported such as N9xx Maemo apps will run on A605 unchanged. We know what roadmap for Maemo is and it's open source and for unlocked devices. No Symbian or Maemo device was App Locked (only SIM locked if via subsidised phone operator) even before Nokia bought Symbian and Trolltech (QT & Qtopia) and decided Symbian and Linux + Maemo was all open source. I trust Nokia more than Google (/me adjusts Tin foil hat).
160G 605 WiFi
theroar
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by theroar »

Success! Thanks. Very nice write up of the steps. I ended up using the windows steps that are linked in the first post. On my win7 box I could not get into the share, or use putty...

I fired up a XP box though and everything worked as advertised.

Thanks for all your efforts and writing the steps so clearly!

Roar

oh... I was confused at first because I use a different workgoup... than workgroup... but on the xp machine I just did a search for Archos and it was golden. =)
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

oh... I was confused at first because I use a different workgoup... than workgroup... but on the xp machine I just did a search for Archos and it was golden. =)
I should have mentioned that.

@pandybox I think android will also be a bit to heavy on the resources for the 605. BTW android in it self isn't controlled by google or locked down, if you would port it yourself you can leave out the restrictions it has on most closed down phones with android.

For me personally I don't want to change the archos firmware, I just want a decent e-book reader which supports multiple formats.
Some other things : a commandline shell, filebrowser for the whole filesystem, zip/unzip tool, music while browsing would be nice.
IMO Qtopia isn't so bad to do this.

Maurice 8)
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

theroar wrote:Success! Thanks. Very nice write up of the steps. I ended up using the windows steps that are linked in the first post. On my win7 box I could not get into the share, or use putty...

I fired up a XP box though and everything worked as advertised.

Thanks for all your efforts and writing the steps so clearly!

Roar

cheers, I think it's only reasonable that 605wifi owners have access to free plugins now (you can also get them for ~$30-$40 from ecsw, see the "cheese price down" thread in the main 605wifi forum)

But the plugins unlock was a secondary consideration, and only made possible by archilles posting moldy cheese back in october), the real aim was to root the device and get some decent third party apps running, possibly via a newly patched qtopia,...watch this space.

grond mentioned the possibility of loading a new kernel with this hack, but unfortunately that doesn't look possible since the 2.6.10 kernel archos use doesn't support kexec (which would enable a soft reboot and reload of the kernel bypassing the bootloader)

So we're restricted to running new software in the avos environment or a chroot, still, theoretically even a version of android might be possible, but my remaining efforts, when I get time, will be to improve qtopia a little to make it genuinely useful and maybe a few games.
solomon
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by solomon »

Sorry if this was covered - I tried to read the whole thread.

I was successful in applying the patch, everything seems to work great, *EXCEPT*:

-When I remove the USB cable from the device *AFTER* warm-applying the patch via executing dohack.html, the device remains "hung" on the screen saying it's in PC Hard Disk mode and that the buttons are temporarily disabled.

Note that when I remove the USB cable from the device after a cold boot and before renaming the plugins directory I get a message about the cable being removed, and everything functions as expected.

Thanks for the great work - even if this is what I'm "stuck" with, it's an easy thing to work around!

Richard

Return to “Open Development”