GFT3 (Stable v1.0) for archos605 wifi (Software Jailbreak)

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Buster
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: GFT3 for archos605 (and possible others)

Post by Buster »

i always used sudo

when i tried sudo ln -s mnt_system in /media/archos

it gave operation not permitted back...

im using kubuntu 9.10

i have both devices connected but it wont work ...
Buster
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Buster »

maybe i need to mkdir mnt_system on /media/archos/
?
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

if you're using sudo and get operation not permitted then that means your usb stick isn't formatted as ext3 (or is mounted read-only, but that's unlikely)

Can you take some time to check everything before posting again, this thread isn't supposed to be a beginners guide to linux.
Buster
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Buster »

Nah i think you dont understand,
its perfectly formatted as ext3 since im not stupid
and it already worked to make symlinks on it, it just wont work to make a symlink to a folder not visible to kubuntu

i am logged i as [email protected]
Buster
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Buster »

somehow, when i type
ln -s /mnt/system/ /media/archos/mnt_system/

it gives back creating symlink /media/archos/mnt_system/ system:
operation not permitted...
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

sideways wrote:@divx118

great, then we can just rename it in hack.sh and it's guaranteed to survive power off :)

In fact that's much better anyway, since then it's clear that you execute the hack script only when you manually do the rename (which will usually be only once between reboots)

(the poweroff & reboot scripts should test for the existence of the directory anyway, otherwise they error when attempting the rename and the device hangs, the early version I posted didn't do the test ( 'if [ -d /mnt/data/jsplugins ]; then...' ) , I fixed it a few hours later and updated the links)

I'll make that change after looking at the arcwelder issue you mention, perhaps I have edited my arcwelder scripts since installation.

Another problem I have is that the samba file server doesn't work after restarting avos, I think this is an environment issue with running it from the local ssh session, does it work with nohup?

You're right about me running the device from the dock, my battery is dead, I'll probably replace it (unless I get another arm device like an ipod toch) and follow the instructions you posted on the GFT2 site (thanks)

Please feel free to post an improved script, as it's a bit cludgy at the moment, once everything's stable I can update the links to point to the stable version (For instance, after copying the hacked avos, I rename it to avosx, but didn't mention that because in the final stable release I intend to apply the code edits from the script rather than relying on a download)

Your help with this hack is much appreciated :)
I have no problem with the samba server when using nohup. Also can I use the hack in the dock. There is one catch, if you power down when in the dock I get weird things and the device hangs sometimes. So I take the 605 out of the dock, power down and place it in the dock so it will startup automaticly. I rename the jspluginsx folder to jsplugins and start the dohack.html.

BTW I would love to look at the source of libwebpipe.so , maybe we could then create our own class to run different scripts/programs by making a html page with some javascript.

I have changed the hack script a bit. I put the check for not running the original avos on top so that if you browse the web with manually rename of the jsplugins the script exits. The jsplugins folder gets renamed just before the restart of avos to ensure the hack to be available on a sudden crash. If you want to browse the contentportal and download stuf ie from jamendo you have to rename the jspluginsx to jsplugins again. However if you do this you have to be sure to do a clean shutdown or rename the jsplugins after you are ready.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#env > /mnt/system/env.txt
# if original avos is not running then don't run the hack again exit 0 
if [ "`pidof avos_helper.sh`x" = "x" ]; then exit 0; fi

# reset opera_home/jsplugins* links so this can run as
# an install script from minidock+usb or ssh
if [ -L /mnt/system/opera_home/jsplugins ]; then
  rm -f /mnt/system/opera_home/jsplugins
fi
if [ -d /mnt/system/opera_home/jsplugins ]; then
  rm -fr /mnt/system/opera_home/jsplugins
  rm -f /mnt/system/opera_home/jsplugins* # clean up any renamed entries
fi
ln -s /mnt/data/jsplugins /mnt/system/opera_home/jsplugins

# ensure dohack.html exists for starting Opera without wifi
if [ ! -f /mnt/data/dohack.html ]; then
  echo "HACK SCRIPT SHOULD BE RUNNING, AVOS SHOULD BE RESTARTING (CHECK DISK ACTIVITY LIGHT), DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS" > /mnt/data/dohack.html
fi

# if arcwelder is installed, start sshd
if [ -d /mnt/data/Data/arcwelder ]; then
  if [ ! -d /tmp/ssh ]; then
    /bin/sh -x /mnt/data/Data/arcwelder/install
  fi
  if [ "`pidof sshd`x" = "x" ]; then
    /tmp/ssh/sshd -f /tmp/ssh/sshd_config
  fi
fi

HACKDIR=/mnt/system/hack
# check if $HACKDIR/sbin has been created
if [ ! -d "$HACKDIR"/sbin ]; then

if [ ! -d "$HACKDIR" ]; then mkdir "$HACKDIR"; fi
  cp -a /sbin "$HACKDIR"

# modify poweroff and reboot so they rename jsplugins before shutdown
  rm "$HACKDIR"/sbin/poweroff
  rm "$HACKDIR"/sbin/reboot
  echo "#!/bin/sh" > "$HACKDIR"/sbin/poweroff
  echo "if [ -d /mnt/data/jsplugins ]; then /bin/mv /mnt/data/jsplugins /mnt/data/jspluginsx; fi" >> "$HACKDIR"/sbin/poweroff
  echo "/bin/busybox poweroff" >> "$HACKDIR"/sbin/poweroff
  chmod +x "$HACKDIR"/sbin/poweroff
  echo "#!/bin/sh" > "$HACKDIR"/sbin/reboot
  echo "if [ -d /mnt/data/jsplugins ]; then /bin/mv /mnt/data/jsplugins /mnt/data/jspluginsx; fi" >> "$HACKDIR"/sbin/reboot
  echo "/bin/busybox reboot" >> "$HACKDIR"/sbin/reboot
  chmod +x "$HACKDIR"/sbin/reboot
fi

# mount /sbin on $HACKDIR/sbin if not already mounted
if [ "`mount | sed -n '/sbin/p'`x" = "x" ]; then
  mount -o bind "$HACKDIR"/sbin /sbin
fi

# rename jsplugins after first start of hack.sh
if [ -d /mnt/data/jsplugins ]; then /bin/mv /mnt/data/jsplugins /mnt/data/jspluginsx; fi

## REMOVE THESE LINES BELOW IF YOU NEVER WANT TO RESTART AVOS
/mnt/data/nohup  /mnt/data/restartavos.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
#/mnt/data/ssh -f -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no 127.0.0.1 /mnt/data/restartavos.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
@buster if you would please open a new topic (like: GFT3 problems with creating symlink), we could help you there. Then this thread stays a bit cleaner. Thanks :) . I didn't try the usb hack yet, but I will startup my ubuntu and try it out for you. (Currently on windows 7). EDIT: here you go buster http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29384

Maurice 8)
Last edited by divx118 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

@divx118

You were right about arcwelder, the arcwelder/install script uses #!/bin/bash for the shell (which doesn't exist), so you need to run it using 'sh -x', I amended hack.sh in the download link.

NB This also breaks avos restart (since I use ssh locally to do that) so if gft3 isn't launching edit hack.sh to start arcwelder/install with 'sh -x', or download gft3.zip again and copy over hack.sh with the latest version.

(I had already edited arcwelder/install top line to #!/bin/sh, which is why I didn't notice the issue)
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

@divx118

I posted at the same time so missed your update.

Looks good, I suggest people try that version of hack.sh if there are issues with the download version.

(Sadly the original version I posted yesterday wouldn't have worked for anyone because of the arcwelder issue)

Probably should separate the installation script from the actual hack script now to make it tidier. The idea behind having files which you rename is that this is easy from the avos interface (whereas you can't edit the file contents)

so i'm thinking we need to have

install.sh
hack.sh
restartavos.sh

then hack.sh just starts ssh and calls restartavos.sh (which enables you to disable the latter by renaming to restartavos.shx)
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

sideways wrote:(Sadly the original version I posted yesterday wouldn't have worked for anyone because of the arcwelder issue)
Yes you are right I forgot to mention that.
sideways wrote:@divx118

Probably should separate the installation script from the actual hack script now to make it tidier. The idea behind having files which you rename is that this is easy from the avos interface (whereas you can't edit the file contents)

so i'm thinking we need to have

install.sh
hack.sh
restartavos.sh

then hack.sh just starts ssh and calls restartavos.sh (which enables you to disable the latter by renaming to restartavos.shx)
If we however could figure out how the libwebpipe.so works we wouldn't need to rename files and could create a html page with a menu to choose from, but it will do for now.

You can edit text files on your archos with the texteditor I wrote look here http://tinyurl.com/ycx82kr , but it is a bit of a hassle.

Maurice 8)
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

divx118 wrote:
If we however could figure out how the libwebpipe.so works we wouldn't need to rename files and could create a html page with a menu to choose from, but it will do for now.

You can edit text files on your archos with the texteditor I wrote look here http://tinyurl.com/ycx82kr , but it is a bit of a hassle.

Maurice 8)
An easy option would be to create a directory /mnt/data/HACKS which contains a list of empty files, hack1x, hack2x..

Then have the hack.sh execute any hackNx if you remove the 'x' (and possibly rename it back to hackNx afterwards)

It's also not too difficult to write a touchscreen interface app, I did a proof of concept scribble type app a while back, but it needs to run from apdf to get correct screen initialised (I didn't take the time to work out how to properly reset the framebuffers back then, you can see how to do it if you look in the apdf source code in the AX05 GPL sources)
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: GFT3 (Beta1) for archos605 wifi (and possible others)

Post by sideways »

I've upgraded the downloads to GFT3 beta1, which applies the ideas discussed with divx118.

If you downloaded an earlier version and it does not work, please redownload (from the same link), and reinstall (it will fully reinstall if the file 'beta1' is not present in /mnt/system/hack, so just redo the install instructions)

Read the updated notes in post#1

The major change in beta1 is to rename jsplugins in the hack script itself, which should make it impossible to lose the hack once installed (I even went through a crash followed by system repair cycle, and it still was available). But note that the archos content portal will require that you temporarily disable the hack (see instructions in post #1)

Following divx118's report, I switched to 'nohup' rather than 'ssh -f' to restart avos, if you have backlight issues change it back to ssh at the bottom of the hack.sh script, this seems to be necessary if you are running off the minidock (like me) rather than battery power or usb cable.

enjoy
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

GFT3 for the windows users enabled with GFT2.

You will need a PC connected to your local network and a wireless access point so you can browse the network share on your archos.

- Download system.bin
- Get the GFT3 files, avos and arcwelder see the first post.

1) Shutdown your 605 by holding the on/off button until you see shutting down.
2) Restart your 605 by holding the TV and the on/off button you should now see a white screen with 3 options
- no
- Repair disk
- Format disk
choose Repair Disk, it will now ask you to connect the device to your PC and install an update file.
3) Connect your device to the PC and rename the System.bin in the System folder on your archos to System.bin.old, then copy the downloaded System.bin to the System folder on your device. (NOTE: after applying this hack you can copy your old System.bin back in the same way, this will restore your settings like wallpaper, language etc)
4) Copy all the files from the GFT3 hack to the root of your archos and the arcwelder to /Data/arcwelder
5) Click done on your archos and let it boot.
6) Enable wireless.
7) After the wireless is connected, go back to the wifi status menu.
8) Click on the little arrow in the left bottom corner to scroll down and click on Wireless File Server and then again on Enable File Server.
9) Go back to your PC and browse your network. You should see the archos share "Hack" click on it then click on the media folder so you can see the content of your archos device. (use username "Hack" password "1234" to access the share.)
10) After this shutdown the fileserver and completely shutdown your device. Restart your device. After the restart rename the jspluginsx to jsplugins in the filebrowser of your archos and open the dohack.html. Wait until the opera browser closes and your done.

Enjoy

Use putty to get commandline access on your archos, it is very easy, standalone so no need to install on your windows machine.
Download it this copy and the main page is http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
Open putty.exe , be sure the radiobutton SSH is clicked. Type in the IP - address of your archos (just look at wifi status) under Host name (or IP -address).
Now click open.
A black window will come up with "Login name:" type "root" without the quotes and hit enter.
type: "cd /" (for switching to the root dir)
type: "ls -all" (list all files/folders in a single column)

To look at your harddisk of your archos wich you normally see in windows when connected with the USB
Type: "cd /mnt/data"
Type: "ls -all"

You can look here for an overview of linux commands http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/
There is lots of commandline information available on the internet. If you come across a command you don't know just type it in google like
the copy command cp http://www.google.nl/search?source=ig&h ... D&aq=f&oq=
Here is de ls (in dos "dir") explained http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/lin ... -examples/

This is a good read, to learn a bit about the directory structure in linux http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/

Maurice 8)
twizted25
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twizted25 »

I was thinking about waiting a while to try this but with the guide Divx posted it seems very simple, but had a question before I want to try.

When we connect archos to our PC are we making changes like renaming the system.bin, adding the new system.bin, and copying arcweilder and gtf3 through normal windows or through Putty. If we are suposed to use Putty can anyone list the commands to make it easy on some of us who aren't so familiar with linux?
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

You connect the archos with a usb cable to your pc and use windows explorer to copy the files. Just be sure todo this in the recovery mode which I described in step 2. NOTE: that in the System.bin are also your system settings like language, wallpaper, timezone etc You can change it back manually through the archos settings menu which is the easiest or copy back your old System.bin which you renamed in the recovery mode. Do this after applying the hack.

To be sure you don't loose any data backup your archos, before beginning. If you follow the guide the data (music, videos, photos etc) isn't touched, but people can make mistakes ;)

putty isn't needed, but I suggest you try it after applying the hack, it is a good practice to learn some things about linux. :)

Maurice 8)
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

I just installed the old Qtopia from the openpma guys. It isn't so bad. To browse my HD of the archos I created a sym link in /mnt/system/openpma-ng/home/nobody/Documents to /mnt/data.
It is just too bad that the package manager is broken and the mp3 player. I will see if I can fix those.
I just need two extra programs in Qtopia and I am happy. A filebrowser and an e-bookreader.

Maurice 8)
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by generic_username »

i think kb or someone round here was able to fix the package manager, however, i haven't seen guide or files for download afaik

anyone thats fixed the package manager wanna toss their $.2 in?
Styler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Styler »

768-bit RSA cracked, 1024-bit safe
Researchers have posted a preprint that describes their method for factoring a number used for RSA 768-bit encryption.
With the increasing computing power available to even casual users, the security-conscious have had to move on to increasingly robust encryption, lest they find their information vulnerable to brute-force attacks. The latest milestone to fall is 768-bit RSA; in a paper posted on a cryptography preprint server, academic researchers have now announced that they factored one of these keys in early December.

Most modern cryptography relies on single large numbers that are the product of two primes. If you know the numbers, it's relatively easy to encrypt and decrypt data; if you don't, finding the numbers by brute force is a big computational challenge. But this challenge gets easier every year as processor speed and efficiency increase, making "secure" a bit of a moving target. The paper describes how the process was done with commodity hardware, albeit lots of it.

Their first step involved sieving, or identifying appropriate integers; that took the equivalent of 1,500 years on one core of a 2.2GHz Opteron; the results occupied about 5TB. Those were then uniqued and processed into a matrix; because of all the previous work, actually using the matrix to factor the RSA value only took a cluster less than half a day. Although most people aren't going to have access to these sorts of clusters, they represent a trivial amount of computing power for many organizations. As a result, the authors conclude, "The overall effort is sufficiently low that even for short-term protection of data of little value, 768-bit RSA moduli can no longer be recommended." 1024-bit values should be good for a few years still.

Given that these developments are somewhat inevitable, even the authors sound a bit bored by their report. "There is nothing new to be reported for the square root step, except for the resulting factorization of RSA-768" they write. "Nevertheless, and for the record, we present some of the details." Still, they manage to have a little fun, in one place referencing a YouTube clip of a Tarantino film following their use of the term "bingo."
http://arstechnica.com/security/news/20 ... or-now.ars
twizted25
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twizted25 »

divx118 wrote:You connect the archos with a usb cable to your pc and use windows explorer to copy the files. Just be sure todo this in the recovery mode which I described in step 2. NOTE: that in the System.bin are also your system settings like language, wallpaper, timezone etc You can change it back manually through the archos settings menu which is the easiest or copy back your old System.bin which you renamed in the recovery mode. Do this after applying the hack.

To be sure you don't loose any data backup your archos, before beginning. If you follow the guide the data (music, videos, photos etc) isn't touched, but people can make mistakes ;)

putty isn't needed, but I suggest you try it after applying the hack, it is a good practice to learn some things about linux. :)

Maurice 8)

Thank your for your time. One more question:

10) After this shutdown the fileserver and completely shutdown your device. Restart your device. After the restart rename the jspluginsx to jsplugins in the filebrowser of your archos and open the dohack.html. Wait until the opera browser closes and your done.

I don't have a file called jspluginsx anywhere. Only jsplugins folder that came with GTF3. Should this have been ranamed before? Also can this be done without buying the browser plugin when I have to open dohack.html?
sideways
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sideways »

I think step 10 in divx118's guide should say to rename jsplugins to jspluginsx before restart (otherwise the opera_home link gets reset on reboot)

But it's easier to just run the hack script by launching opera straight away (or content portal), that'll do the rename for you.
twizted25
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twizted25 »

sideways wrote:I think step 10 in divx118's guide should say to rename jsplugins to jspluginsx before restart (otherwise the opera_home link gets reset on reboot)

But it's easier to just run the hack script by launching opera straight away (or content portal), that'll do the rename for you.
Having trouble with step 10. I started over and tried renaming folder jsplugins to jspluginsx after:

Go back to your PC and browse your network. You should see the archos share "Hack" click on it then click on the media folder so you can see the content of your archos device. (use username "Hack" password "1234" to access the share.)

And then I shutdown and when boots up rename the jspluginsx to jsplugins through file server off of my PC through Wifi (this right?) and try running the dohack.html and it tries to get me to buy plugin for browser.

Return to “Open Development”