Hacking the Archos Contest

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux

Contest

Would be interested?
44%
Would be interested and would like to contribute?
33%
Don't care?
22%

Total votes: 27
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hacking the Archos Contest

Post by Mojorisin69 »

I have an idea I would like to put out there to all you archos fans. I don't have a ton of cash but I would like to see who would be interested in starting a contest to see who can hack the archos wifi firmware first. I would be willing to through in a very small amount of cash like(20 bucks maybe more but maybe if we get enough interest we could get the winner a little cash). Perhaps if it is ok with Charbax he could hold the loot. Of course we would need evidence because someone would just put a video of linux running. By being in the contest of course you agree that we are not responsible for your Archos if you brick it.
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

This idea sounds great to me... but how can you really tell who officially "hacked" it if multiple people put work into it? I think encouraging people to try is a great idea, but I'm worried about losing the advantages of sharing knowledge and working together.
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hmm

Post by Mojorisin69 »

Well I guess people could share the loot but your right I guess I am a little worried that people would not work together making a hacked firmware take longer.I guess you would have to put down who was going to help prior to starting the contest or everyone who help put it together would be entered into a raffle for the loot. Not sure how to prove anything though just want to get more people interested and to create a buzz so we get something sooner then later.
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

I can agree with that... Archos seems to talk to me less and less every time I ask for the source code, I guess they have me on file or something. At least the FSF contacted them and so they'll eventually get to it. In the mean time I think it'd be great to spark up some work and excitement.
dm8tbr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by dm8tbr »

zachman123 wrote:I think encouraging people to try is a great idea, but I'm worried about losing the advantages of sharing knowledge and working together.

With such a blurry description like "hacking the 604wifi" gszczesz and maybe others would already have qualified. Also the number of people gathered around the 604wifi seems rather low, so engaging them in an competition working against each other might be very counter productive.

Sidenote: If the bounty would have been significant and if I wouldn't disapprove such action I would have probably ended up sharing none of my knowledge derived from working on the openPMA project and other embedded hardware with you n00bs. :p
Others would have done so too and nobody would know more than his own findings. :?
openAOS
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I agree

Post by Mojorisin69 »

I guess maybe having a contest is a bad idea. I want people to work together.Yet nothing motivates better than cash other than just the challenge of doing it because no one else has. Any suggests on how to proceed. Maybe if we have a contest it should be revised to come up with a unique way of using the 604 wifi. That way everyone would win from the situation. Any ideas or thoughts?
tmx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tmx »

yes, pay the guys at archopen a million dollar to do it. or contribute informations with them.

Return to “Open Development”