160gb disk size shows as 250gb in Unbutu Terminal

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
rockyglw
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

160gb disk size shows as 250gb in Unbutu Terminal

Post by rockyglw »

I have an Archos 5 160gb. However when I use Fdisk in Unbutu Terminal it shows as a 250gb! Disk properties reports it aas a 160gb disk. I have tried a Windows type partition manager and it shows as 160gb Primary approx 80gb unallocated. Is it possible to use the unallocated space or is it in reality a 160gb disk.
Can anyone solve the mystery as I think the incorrect reporting is preventing me from downgrading the firmware
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: 160gb disk size shows as 250gb in Unbutu Terminal

Post by grond »

rockyglw wrote:I have an Archos 5 160gb. However when I use Fdisk in Unbutu Terminal it shows as a 250gb!
I know that there are sometimes Archos devices which hold a larger physical disk than advertised. Just try the "format" option in the recovery menu (backup your data, of course).
openAOS
rockyglw
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rockyglw »

Great advice grond. Have formatted disk. Now have a 250gb Archos 5 instead of the 160gb that I bought.
Result :lol:
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

OMG what a result!!! i take it all the box stats 160gb etc.
this isnt the first time archos have done this, back in the av400 days they put in 100gb drives insted of 80gb in latter machines, i suppose this is down to lack of hardware or they feel partically festive. nice one anyways, i hope more people report the same
roy
COYI
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

roylovelock wrote:i hope more people report the same
I know of at least two other recent Archos devices which hold a larger harddisk than advertised.
openAOS
rockyglw
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rockyglw »

Hi Roy
All box and delivery details were for 160gb. Bought it fom QVC in UK after it was described and sold as 160gb on the QVC Archos.
So really pleased. Since downgrading firmware to 1.6.54 browser etc. works perfectly. I know posters have had bad experiences with Archos. I have had a 302, which still works perfectly and the Archos 5 with which I am fully satisfied. I also own an iphone 3gs, ipod Viodeo and latest Nano. None of the Apple devices are substitutes for what the Archos 5 does
shllybkwrm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by shllybkwrm »

That sounds awesome! Just a question, you do mean format through the Archos menu, right?
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

shllybkwrm wrote:That sounds awesome! Just a question, you do mean format through the Archos menu, right?
Yes. The "format" option in the recovery menu isn't just a normal format but also re-defines the partition layout. If you do just a normal format through a PC, the partition layout wouldn't be changed, the existing partition would just be formatted. Trying to redefine the partition on a PC also isn't as simple as it would seem because Archos do some magic to define the hidden partition that needs to be set up right. The recovery knows how to do all this and thus is the easiest way to do it.
openAOS

Return to “Open Development”