Problem when trying to unmount media/disk

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Problem when trying to unmount media/disk

Post by Archos>iPod »

Hey guys... boy, I feel close and so far at the same time! :roll:

I followed the downgrade steps and that seemed to work fine.

Then when I tried to do the "Install a patched firmware with DTI Games" part I ran into some trouble.

The tutorial is kinda confusing me. I feel like I'm doing everything right... seems to go through the prompts flawlessly in the terminal until I get to the last step, "sudo umount /media/disk"

I get a prompt that states "umount: /media/disk: not mounted"

I have ignored this now 3 times... and I try to reboot the archos. When I go to DTI, I see the penguin, but it doesn't delay after the second "play" I assume each time that maybe it just did it... and on rebooting, I still see the standard archos logo...

:doubt:

What am I doing wrong?

Also... I had a DTI folder in the games directory before, rather than merge them, I deleted the one that was on the archos and replaced it with the DTI folder unzipped from the patch kit. Maybe this is the issue?

I do, however, have a feeling that the reason for this issue is a result of the failure to "unmount" the disk...

Any ideas? :?:
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Problem when trying to unmount media/disk

Post by Archos>iPod »

I haz success!!! :badgrin:

Ok... I am a real linux n00b... but I did it... now on to the next part :roll:

How I got it to work:

I restarted my Ubuntu live CD and did everything allllll over again to the 'T'.

STILL I was unable to unmount /media/disk... said it was busy... Went ahead with the restart and game run and I have the penguin at startup.

If anyone else runs into this problem, I will do my best to help you! :)
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

Archos>iPod wrote:STILL I was unable to unmount /media/disk... said it was busy...
You probably had some program open that was accessing a directory on /media/disk such as the file browser you used to copy things over...
openAOS
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

OK... I'm feeling really stupid right now... :doubt:

I did the patched firmware 1.6.54 with penguin on startup. Felt pretty good at that point.

I didn't think I needed to add any of the "pre-patched" firmwares from http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... re_Updates, that I could just proceed with the replacement.

I disassembled the archos, removed the 250gb drive and installed the 500gb *new* drive. With the unit still apart, I started it up in recovery mode and selected format. After about 10 minutes it shut off...

Did I miss something?

Also, how do you load the firmware-a57-1.x.xx firmwares onto the patched archos?

I'm really tired and it's making this all the more confusing.

Thanks for the help!
345742D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 345742D »

i was confused at that point a little too... with the instructions given to install the patched fw it says you need to access /media/disk in terminal... at the unmount step, the terminal is still accessing /media/disk, thats why you cant unmount.. to unmount /media/disk, just close the terminal that you used for all the hacking and open a new one... then unmount... it worked for me..

the 500 gb hdd i dont know anything about... i'm curious as well, and might even plan on doing it sometime in the future.. how much do one of those hdd cost?
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

I got it for like $80 at Micro Center (Chicago, IL). You can get them pretty cheap these days. I went with a WD 50GB Scorpio Blue (5400RPM).

Get started now!!! We can work on it together! :lol:
345742D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 345742D »

I'd love to, but i just started a two week trip with my girlfriends family.. and those HDD are pretty cheap... i actually might do it sooner than i thought.. just not during this trip... do you know if it stays cooler than the HDD that comes with the A5? my archos gets warm sometimes and i kind of worry about it being in a pocket or laying down on a jacket, or anything of the sort..
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Man... I'm in Hawaii now... it's really messing up my trip! Hurry! ;)

About the heat... it wont matter... as long as there are moving parts, there will be heat.

As soon as the prices drop on the SSDs.... well... :badgrin:
345742D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 345742D »

SSD's?
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Solid state drives... FTW.
345742D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 345742D »

just looked them up.. sound pretty nice.. although i doubt we'll see a dramatic decrease of cost in the near future... 256gb one was like ~$700...

Return to “Open Development”