Writing software for the built in OS?

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
sln7w
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Writing software for the built in OS?

Post by sln7w »

The more I read I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't want to wipe my system with the SDE just yet. So I'm curious about simply writing apps for the existing Archos OS. This must be possible somehow. Has anyone figured it out?
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Writing software for the built in OS?

Post by grond »

The problem is that avos is a monolithic monster that takes care of everything and does not expect anything else to mess with things. It just doesn't cooperate. You can easily add command line stuff and connect via ssh or telnet but that's not really of great use.
openAOS
sln7w
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sln7w »

Well that's fairly similar to what I'm trying to do. I want to install VNC server software on my Archos so I can control the Archos from another machine. It may sound strange, but I'm doing this with a CarPC. I want my PC in the dashboard to control the Archos sitting in the back of the car.

Are Telnet and SSH already installed on it? Or were you able to install it and get it to run? Can you offer any hints on doing that much?
serbor
Archos User
Archos User

Post by serbor »

There is no problem to install telnet or ssh - just compile it on any SDK and make a rootfs.cramfs image.

You can also try to compile frame-buffer vnc-server and install it the same way. It exists in OE SDK.

Return to “Open Development”