How to open an A7

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Re: How to open an A7

Post by zac68 »

I did'nt do the GF hack.

1. I downgraded my firmware. http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... 5_firmware
2. Then patched the firmware. http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games
3. Then loaded the 1.7.11 prepatched firmware. http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... re_Updates
You can use any version of the prepatched firmware you want, I just prefer to use the lattest one.

As long as you follow the instructions outlined on these sites you should'nt have any issues.

Zac
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

This is very helpful so far, thank you! =D>

I don't think I need to do a downgrade since I have the 1.6.54 on there now. BUT do you think there is any risk in having the GF hack on here when I do it? Will the "downgrade" remove it? Quite a question, I know.

Thanks again!
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

Yes the downgrade will undo the GF hack as will installing the prepatched firmware. But at then end of this you can manually copy the GF "rootfs.cramfs.secure" file back into the hidden partition and get the benifits of the unlocked plugins again.

Zac
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Good to know! Your help has been greatly appreciated.

I'll have to put the rest of this off until the morning. I will certainly let you know how things go!

Thanks! :D
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

hakuna matata
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

hehe ... my 500gb is ordered and I look forward to putting it in on the weekend :evil:
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

I was tempted to go for a 500GB drive, but I just don't have enough music and videos to fill it and I'm a cheapskate. :)

Zac
zeroman9121
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by zeroman9121 »

I was wondering does it have to be any specific type of internal hard drive and if not anyone have any recommendations.
A7 PFW 1.6.54
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

If youre going to use pre-patched firmware then any 2.5" Sata HDD should work. If your going to stay with the Offical Archos firmware then it's my understanding that you're stuck with the make and model that Archos uses.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

Nope .. you cannot replace the drive if you use official firmware. The current drive is unique to the unit.

The patched firmware breaks that link, and therefore allows any hdd
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

zac68 wrote:If youre going to use pre-patched firmware then any 2.5" Sata HDD should work. If your going to stay with the Offical Archos firmware then it's my understanding that you're stuck with the make and model that Archos uses.

Yes you NEED THE PRE PATCHED FIRMWARE TO CHANGE YOUR HDD.
Anyways any specific HDD in SATA? Like SATA 1 or SATA 2 (I am not familiar with the different types of sata hdd sorry :()
openAOS ROCKS!!
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

@ArchAngel123

Did you do the swap yet??? I'm currently at a standstill.

I thought I followed all the instructions correctly, I did the downgrade followed by patched firmware followed then by pre-patched (latest) firmware. All steps seemed to indicate proper response. Penguin on startup, firmware 1.6.54 and then the 1.7 pre-patch showed up. Swapped my drive (opened the package the new one came in and installed it in the archos. I went into recovery mode and selected format, as Zac68 stated, and it just said "please wait..." with recovery in the header. I let it run overnight+ a few hours in the morning (all-in-all 10+ hours) and the screen stayed the same.

On a second attempt, I tried formating the drive in Ubuntu to FAT32 using gpart (or whatever it's called) and that didn't seem to help either. That probably makes no difference since the A5 formats anyway.

I'm really confused... What am I missing???

Zac68, got any ideas what's going wrong here??? I followed your steps 1-3 and then did then attempted the swap, no success.

It seems so simple in principle... but doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks!
zac68
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zac68 »

Archos>iPod wrote:I thought I followed all the instructions correctly, I did the downgrade followed by patched firmware followed then by pre-patched (latest) firmware. All steps seemed to indicate proper response. Penguin on startup, firmware 1.6.54 and then the 1.7 pre-patch showed up. Swapped my drive (opened the package the new one came in and installed it in the archos. I went into recovery mode and selected format, as Zac68 stated, and it just said "please wait..." with recovery in the header. I let it run overnight+ a few hours in the morning (all-in-all 10+ hours) and the screen stayed the same.

On a second attempt, I tried formating the drive in Ubuntu to FAT32 using gpart (or whatever it's called) and that didn't seem to help either. That probably makes no difference since the A5 formats anyway.

I'm really confused... What am I missing???

Zac68, got any ideas what's going wrong here??? I followed your steps 1-3 and then did then attempted the swap, no success.

It seems so simple in principle... but doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks!

I did these steps with a 120GB drive to test if it would work, before buying the 320GB drive and in both cases I had no major issues. What capacity drive did you buy? If it was a 400 or 500GB drive I wonder if that's the issue. It should'nt be, but then again we have'nt heard from anyone who has installed a drive greater then 320GB.
:?:
Zac
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

nokiae50 wrote:
ArchAngel123 wrote:Paused again at about 20% .... ??? .. this time Im gonna let it run for a while and see if it comes right

Did have a look and both fat32 and the hidden ext3 got created ...

Just leave it for about 3 hours. Because it has to format the new drive, and create partition and then add system files to the hidden partition.
Anyways how much time did you wait when you tried for the 1st time. And when it gets stuck can you hear any activity on the HDD?
:)

nokiae50 wrote:
ArchAngel123 wrote:Sorry without appearing rude, you are wrong

The partitions and format are created before it asks for the update - because when i connect the partitions are there and a basic file structure. I then cope the update onto that

I understand it now copies the files, but ussually that does not take long. As an experiment I did a format disk on my A5 with 1702 pached on the supplied drive and that worked fine in a matter of minutes.

Anyone in the archos.g3nius.org got an idea?

In the meantime I gonna crash out mount the hidden partition and report what i find

Ok
Well then try copying all the files from the hidden drive of the A5 (which is working properly) and copy it over to your A7 (with which you are having problems)
Hope this will work. Sorry for my noob suggestions, just trying to help. Sorry if I have been irritating you.

ArchAngel123 wrote:I have success!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

My samsung drive is now fully working in my A7 =D>

I shall buy the 500gb tomorrow and put in in, take some photos to prove i have done it

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

nokiae50 you were, I know trying to help, but Im not a n00b I just behave like one sometime. Ironically after my last post I signed off of windows and was in ubuntu (no connectivity) I did not see your idea until now, but ironically i did start copying files which is how I got it fixed ...

so yes great minds obviously think alike ... but fools never differ :lol:

EDIT - I still dont know if my samsung has a bad sector that caused me the pain, or maybe a archos check that is still in place - I will be able to comment on this tomorrow with a new harddrive

Hope this helps :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

nokiae50, with all due respect, I have read all the forms... ALL. I'm not a n00b that wants a new tutorial writen special for me. For some reason, with all that I have done, I am unable to reach success. I have exhausted all of the resources that have been made available to me. Simply copying and pasting forum notes is not helpful at this point. I have looked at all topics dealing with this issue that the text image is burning onto my retina :shock: . I have now spent 4 days on this with no success. I appreciate, and need, your help.

My current situation is that I am unable to boot the archos with the new (500gb from 250gb) drive. I have left the hard drive to format for several hours and, yes, I allow plenty of time. There have been occasions that it will reboot to the recovery screen and, following Zac68's advice, I select format again and nothing happens. If I try to connect the A5 to the computer during the second format attempt, it doesn't recognize on the computer. I've invested so much time in this... I just want it to work :doubt:

If anyone has any help, tips, support, advice.... Please know, you will be helping a, now sleep deprived, friend that will be tremendously grateful.
Dvalin21
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Dvalin21 »

On the other hand I am a Noob to A7 and Ubuntu so I need all the help I can get. I just need to know a few things. I've been looking around the site (when I have the time) and I haven't found the answers I've been looking for.

1. I notice that you was talking about Ubuntu on the A7, was that a hack? and how well does Ubuntu work on there?

2. I know if you use the custom firmware it will void the warranty (doesnt matter to me at all as long as i can use it for what i want to use it for).

3. I know that on the regular firmware or window of A7 you can't install ANYTHING, but if ubuntu is being succesfully install or hacked or however you do, are you able to install on the Ubuntu os? I would really like to purchase one of these, but the factor of it not being able to install anything on it or being able to do any document editing is stopping me. I'm looking for some straight answers if could. I reall appreciate the help from whom ever answers this post. Thanks again
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Your post is a bit off topic, but I don't blame you... there's a lot going on in this forum. :D

1. No. Ubuntu is a computer OS not (yet) coded or confirmed to work on the A5 or A7 hardware. Ubuntu is mentioned because that is OS used to modify system folders in the Archos.

2. Warranty is voided if you modify. But really see 1.

3. See 1.

The GOAL is to change the hard drive out of an A5 or A7 to a larger (really just to be able to change the) hard drive. There has been a patched firmware written that supposedly (confirmed by few) allows you to effectively accomplish this goal.

Hope this answers your unanswered questions.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

A>I

Your symptoms sound like the first time I tried to install a HDD. (See my other post re my 500gb success)

Try the following steps (excuse the n00b fashion of the steps, but hopefully it makes them clear)

1) Replace the drive with your original. Switch on the Archos. Make 100% sure that is shows the patched firmware logo. Take note of the patched version number (THIS IS IMPORTANT). Okay now power all the way off - leave your original drive in! If no patched firmware logo - you need to install patched firmware!
2) Okay using g3nius instructions load up ubuntu and mount the hidden drive (orginal). Using sudo nautilus copy ALL the files and directories onto your pc hard drive
3) Shutdown your archos and replace the drive.
4) Go to the system menu and choose (Power - Volumn UP) and choose format disk. Now it should display creating partions etc and then it will ask to connect to PC and load a firmware file. TWO IMPORTANT NOTES a) make sure the patched file is named in the official standard ie ("firmware_archos5-7.aos") and b) USE THE SAME VERSION PATCHED THAT YOU SAW IN STEP 1. The reason for this is that 1.7.0.2 and above have a check in it that they cant be downgraded (both official and patched)
5) It should start flashing i.e. progress bar should creep up. A successful flash takes MAX 20 mins. Now this is where I think you will hang once the bar is aroung 30 percent (or so did for me). What I did after 20min (AT YOUR RISK!) is to then disconnect and hard power down (disconnect power and push power button until it shuts off.)
6) I then mounted the hidden partition in ubuntu (there were no files for me - if there are for you delete them). Then copy all the files from your pc onto the hidden partition. This may take a few minutes. With mine it took like 30 mins (I attribute this to the copy retries!). [At this point if you used 1.6.54 patched you can copy over the gf cramfs file]
7) unmount and, hard power down (ie disconnect power cable, and push power until it shuts down)
8) Enjoy

I give you this help, but please all of this is at your risk. If you live in the UK, Im happy to help you if you can make it to Essex

AA123 out
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

Archos>iPod wrote:1. No. Ubuntu is a computer OS not (yet) coded or confirmed to work on the A5 or A7 hardware.

Bubu had ubuntu on his a5 several weeks ago. He concluded that it wasn't the right thing for the a5 because it got dangerously hot and the harddisk would never spin down.
openAOS
Archos>iPod
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archos>iPod »

Hey AA123! I was eagerly awaiting word from you!

Your advice, so far, is helpful, but I have a few questions.

First, however, I would like to mention that when I put the new HDD (500gb) into the A5 and select format, it takes about 30 minutes (sometimes longer... I have tried many times) and either says "please wait" or "setting up media". It never asks me to connect it to the computer. It often just turns off after a while... hangs at the penguin screen or goes back into recover. So, did you do something to your new drive straight out of the box before you installed? Format? Does NTFS or FAT32 matter? The A5 is FAT32.

When I start the A5 up with the OE 250gb I see "Patched Bootloader v1.7.11" with our penguin friend on display. I fear this may be an issue...

Here's another question I just thought of: Did I have to put a pre-patch firmware on here??? Could I have just used the v1.6.54 from the initial firmware patch? Also, on the pre-patch firmware list wiki page, there are 2 columns. I took from the left column... the one that had the AVOS and patched bootloader.

In all of my attempts, I accidentally lost the identity of the new drive (it wasn't recognized or showing up on any machine, winVist or linux). I was able to fix that in windows disk manager and then I reformatted it to NTFS... which feels like it took a year... and it's still not done formating (maybe another 4 hours or so).

Did you use 1.7.02? I hope I'm not SOL for using 1.7.11....

The additional info RE the formating of the HD (if needed out of box), NTFS or FAT32, and the patch version (also if I could just use the initial patch and not load a prepatch ((may be too late)) firmware).

Your steps so far are VERY helpful and definitely expand on your previous thread.

Do you have skype? or other vchat methods? It may be easier... just a thought... You can PM me your skype id.

Thanks again! I may sleep a little tonight! :lol:

Return to “Open Development”