Moldy Cheese for 4 GB and 160 GB 605s

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
powerfox
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Moldy Cheese for 4 GB and 160 GB 605s

Post by powerfox »

The current Moldy Cheese hack does not work for the 4 GB flash-based 605 or the 160 GB version. This obviously prevents a significant percentage of 605 owners from using the hack. I don't know why the hack does not work on the 4 GB model, but it was explained in the original Moldy Cheese thread that the problem with 160 GB units is that the system partition resides at the end of the disk and that the 605 bootloader uses 28 bit LBA. Numerous workarounds were suggested. While I have no understanding of what would be involved with modifying the bootloader or the risks associated with doing so, the other suggestion, to move the system partition closer to the beginning of the disk, seems fairly easy and safe.

I created this thread because the discussion about 160 GB 605s in the Moldy Cheese thread ended over a month ago. Has any progress been made since then?

I own a 160 GB 605 with 1.7.13 firmware and am willing to try things that don't have a possibility of bricking my Archos. I have a lot of experience with Linux and with low-level partition/partition table editing and recovery. I assume any necessary modifications could be performed using SSH. I'm comfortable with opening my 605 as long as I don't need to desolder the battery or anything just to remove the hard disk. Is the disk 1.8" or 2.5"? What connection does it use? I can handle SATA and 44 or 50 pin ATA but not ZIF. In case my Archos can't boot after I mess with the disk, I need to be able to remove the disk for recovery.

So that's what I have to offer. If anyone knows how to accomplish any of this please share your knowledge.
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Moldy Cheese for 4 GB and 160 GB 605s

Post by generic_username »

its been some time since i read the thread but by my understanding the flash memory is maybe mapped differently in the 4gb?

no se on the 160

however, anytime you flash rom/eeprom/etc you risk bricking. shit ive seen electronics bricked 'cus you touched em durring a flash.
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Actually, the 4GB 605s have an entirely different firmware. You can see this by going to Archos' site and looking at the firmware updates. One for 4GB and one for 20GB-160GB 605s. So hacking the 4GB 605s is going to be a lot more risky.
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

i realize the firmware is different, the sig check is probably similar if not identical though right? chebuzz is the man to ask he put together that archutil

not that i have a 4gb, but, what needs to be done to port the hack? a hidden partition read? someone willing to brick it and try?
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

I have been trying to get this done, i did apply moldy cheese to my a605flash model. It did not work however, it was thrown into recovery mode, code 105. From there it was just a matter of putting my original firmware back in and it was back to normal. I am not experienced with hacking, but i am pretty sure that someone familiar with moldy cheese, with some educated guesses and a little finesse, can make it work with little chance of a brick. I could be wrong but my 605f still works.
I also feel Qtopia would be an ideal way to go... there has already been such a lot of ground work done... if anyone knows how to modify the avos so that qtopia does not shut down...
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Once you've reversed one Archos bootloader, you can reverse them all. The signature check are most likely identical, if not in slightly different place. So disabling the first two sig checks would be easy. The hard part would be running your own custom kernel. I don't know if the 605F devices have a recovery kernel or not, but if they didn't, one bad kernel and you are bricked. If somebody would be able to dump their flash, I could find out for sure.
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

"If somebody would be able to dump their flash, I could find out for sure."
I will dump my flash, how is it done, please explain.
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

"If somebody would be able to dump their flash, I could find out for sure."
I will dump my flash, how is it done, please explain. Is there a specific way this is to be done? Is it a command through the GFT, some utility that i need, a program to be downloaded?
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

You need an executable to access the flash and write it to a file. This executable would be ran through GFT. Archilles released a flash utility, but I haven't looked over that. I have my own that I could give you to dump the flash, if you trust me. :)
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

I did try the BrickMaker that archilles released but i am not sure how to use it. Where is this executable? I would presume that the code is safe that you have used it yourself, that it is designed to read and dump the flash, not really sure about the "if you trust me?". I would like to assist in the efforts to reclaim the soon to be obsolete archos 605 and 705.
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

@CheBuzz
I did try the BrickMaker that archilles released but i am not sure how to use it. Where is this executable? I would presume that the code is safe that you have used it yourself, that it is designed to read and dump the flash, not really sure about the "if you trust me?". I would like to assist in the efforts to reclaim the soon to be obsolete archos 605 and 705.
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Ok, I looked over Archilles BrickMaker. Seems like it should work. Just copy the brick_maker_gen5 executable to your Archos and use GFT to run it. The command to dump all of your flash would be: ./brick_maker_gen5 0 0 2097152 /mnt/data/flash.dump
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

Hey, thanks CheBuzz for the instruction, and archilles for the BrickMaker, that seemed to do the trick. I now have a file called flash.dump. To big to load it on this page though. What next?
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Now just upload to some site. Google for file upload and see what you come up with.
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

Here is a link to a605f flash dump, again thanks for your help, looking forward to a moldy cheese plate.
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/1 ... -dump.html
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Just a quick note, I don't plan on working on that, I was merely trying to answer your questions on how to dump the flash. I should also warn you that the flash contents contain unique information for each device that can be used to identify that device. I would probably not publicly distribute it. unless you don't care.
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

Maybe you could of said all that with your advice to upload the file. :?
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

Indeed, my apologies.
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

pm me im interested in the file and trying to identify the correct offsets (so people on this board will stop b*itching)
metorra
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by metorra »

Hi,
I have a 4gb Archos 605 Wifi.I would be willing to do somework with this. Can someone provide the flash dump program.The link is not working.

Thanks

Return to “Open Development”