'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
dragonknight
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: 'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Post by dragonknight »

EiNSTeiN

can your pre-patched firmware be used with the GF hack?
edembowski
Archos User
Archos User

Post by edembowski »

EiNSTeiN_ wrote:To those who had trouble installing the firmware after downgrading, can you give this a try?

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games

Thanks very much. It does work very well, I think the problem I had was that I was trying to install the game on to the hidden partition, and not just reference suid executables on it. Not only have you given us an easy way to access everything there, you've given us better understanding to how it's put together.

- Ed

edit: I've installed the new firmware, and the patched 1.7.02 with great success. I'm very happy to say that this version supports WPA2 with AES encryption, without TKIP. Also, I really do like the new boot screen EiNSTeiN_ has made.
dragonknight
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dragonknight »

edembowski wrote:
EiNSTeiN_ wrote:To those who had trouble installing the firmware after downgrading, can you give this a try?

Thanks very much. It does work very well, I think the problem I had was that I was trying to install the game on to the hidden partition, and not just reference suid executables on it. Not only have you given us an easy way to access everything there, you've given us better understanding to how it's put together.

- Ed

edit: I've installed the new firmware, and the patched 1.7.02 with great success. I'm very happy to say that this version supports WPA2 with AES encryption, without TKIP. Also, I really do like the new boot screen EiNSTeiN_ has made.

can you restore the archos back to it normal state after doing this hack? meaning like it was never done. also is this like a mix of the GF hack?
edembowski
Archos User
Archos User

Post by edembowski »

dragonknight wrote:can you restore the archos back to it normal state after doing this hack? meaning like it was never done. also is this like a mix of the GF hack?
Well, that's just a matter of reflashing and putting back the cramdisk images. I can't think of a reason you'd want to do that but yes, you can.

- Ed
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

This is a very good question and I will update the wiki page with these details.You can remove the hacked firmware for warranty claims or anything similar. To scrub every trace of any hacked firmware, backup all of your data and go in recovery mode, choose "format disk" and then install a firmware from archos.com. As simple as that...
dragonknight
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dragonknight »

EiNSTeiN_ wrote:This is a very good question and I will update the wiki page with these details.You can remove the hacked firmware for warranty claims or anything similar. To scrub every trace of any hacked firmware, backup all of your data and go in recovery mode, choose "format disk" and then install a firmware from archos.com. As simple as that...
ok thanks and are there any benefits to running the pre-patched firmware over the gf hack? does the pre-patched firmware allow the same things that the gf hack does?
dragonknight
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dragonknight »

edembowski wrote:
dragonknight wrote:can you restore the archos back to it normal state after doing this hack? meaning like it was never done. also is this like a mix of the GF hack?
Well, that's just a matter of reflashing and putting back the cramdisk images. I can't think of a reason you'd want to do that but yes, you can.

- Ed
ok thanks
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

My request to EiNSTein_ to move the discussion of the pached firmware to a new topic. Its getting a bit messy here. Lets keep this reserved for the GF hack. I dont mean to be rude. Just a request so that people find it easy to post.
Thank you EiNSTein_ and all the guys for that patched firmware..!!!! Keep up the great work.!!!! :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

I used elements from einstein's bootloader patcher thingy and edited them to flash my own boot logo : P

nothing more then editing the .out file and removing the files I wouldn't need to redundantly flash again...
A5120/PFW1.7.11
soul1355
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by soul1355 »

ok, so I now have the patched firmware, which works perfectly, updated using built in updater, have the patched 1.7.02.
very nice to not have to download and install manually btw.
so now I'm wondering, as one who refuses to pay the company that can't even make the device do what I want more money, is there some way to get the plugins? and does the Guy Fawkes hack include the plugins? and lastly, I second the question, (if the gf hack includes the plugins) is there a way to run it on the already patched firmware?
Screwyluie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Screwyluie »

use the same process of mounting the system drive in linux, then copy the rootfs file from the GF hack, sync, unmount, reboot the archos and you're good

just did this myself
250gb 1.7.11
soul1355
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by soul1355 »

sweet, thanks, I'm just getting used to this, but I actually just figured that one out, :) only issue, all the pictures get screwed up... still functions, but the keyboard is a little interesting to figure out... alternative would be nice if anybody has ideas, but beggars can't be choosers, so this is a great either way, just hanging on to the other, so I can switch back if it becomes too much of a problem...
so, any chance of seeing MKV support? or is that more likely to turn up in the angstrom thing they're doing?
and while we're on the subject, how does that void the warranty anyway? seems to me like they'd have no way of knowing as long as you got the thing back to normal before they get to look at it...

edit: don't do the update, I hoped it might fix the pictures, but it fixed everything else too... well, once more, from the top.
pabloxlion12
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pabloxlion12 »

hi!
where are the steps to do the jailbreak?
i saw a video in youtube but the jailbreak needs the dvr dock or the mini dock.. is that true?
im not really an expert so if you can help me with a dummmy guide that would be great
Screwyluie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Screwyluie »

all the info you need is here on this forum and on the g3nius site... if you do the g3nius hack first, then you can do the GF hack without the dock

once you get going if you have some specific troubles let me know and I'll try and give ya a hand, or someone else will I'm sure
250gb 1.7.11
munkytown71
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by munkytown71 »

I'm having trouble finding this "g3nius" site to get info on the g3nius hack. Can someone post a link please? Thank you.
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

munkytown71 wrote:I'm having trouble finding this "g3nius" site to get info on the g3nius hack. Can someone post a link please? Thank you.
openAOS ROCKS!!
pabloxlion12
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pabloxlion12 »

if I do this hack its possible that I can lose my data?
Screwyluie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Screwyluie »

anything is possible, it's a hack, and you should always have you data backed up, I will say, I lost no data when I did it
250gb 1.7.11
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

pabloxlion12 wrote:if I do this hack its possible that I can lose my data?
Its a HACK anything can happen. But I have installed the pre patched firmware from archos.g3nius.org works perfectly then I replaced the rootfs file provided by archilles which unlocks the plugins, no loss of data, everything working perfectly.
Hope this helps.. :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
Logik
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Logik »

is there a bootloader hack available for the 604WiFi.

i'm certainly not upgrading to an a5 after seeing a battery explode in a showcased
a5 in PCWorld, (the store tried to blame me as well!, had to explain for 1.5hours
that things age.)

Return to “Open Development”