'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
denotsko
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: 'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Post by denotsko »

Got my A5 back from repair today :( As expected they wiped the hard drive and upgraded the firmware needlessly.

Anyone willing to estimate when this might be workable with 1.7.02?
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

sudo mount -t ext3 -o offset=119825879040 /dev/sdb /media/disk
For me, it shows up in /dev/sdc, just a little note, and i left my device in recovery mode for quite a while while reading something, when I went to unplug my archos, it was quite hot.

EDIT: Einstein you are my hero, I was able to mount the hidden partition (though I mounted it to /home/profile/Desktop/stuff, rather then /media/disk, that kept giving me an error)

Currently in the process of "downgrading" my archos in preperation for the moldy-cheeze.
A5120/PFW1.7.11
edembowski
Archos User
Archos User

Post by edembowski »

EiNSTeiN_ wrote:Well now that this is out, just a quick comment...

now if you want to downgrade, all you have to do is replace all the cramfs files ...

EiNSTeiN_,

Once you have it mounted, I can't see any good way to execute code. I'm trying to reflash the firmware so that I can use my own rootfs image. How do you go about reflashing ro remove the signature checks?

- Ed
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

hehe, yeah, directly copying the rootfs.cramfs.secure does nothing but make your Archos stick at the startup splash, thankfully I remedied that by replacing it with the other one i got from the .aos file.

Gonna try on the moldy sheese now that i have downgraded

EDIT: hmm, no luck on the jailbreak thus far, I guess I might try my luck clearing the catch, going through that whole recovery screen process, then boot into windows and copy the games foler and the rootfs.cramfs.secure into the root, see what happens then, well, thanks guys for getting me to the point to being able to downgrade, this has been an awesome learning experience on computers.
Last edited by Fenriswaffles on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A5120/PFW1.7.11
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Fenriswaffles wrote:hehe, yeah, directly copying the rootfs.cramfs.secure does nothing but make your Archos stick at the startup splash, thankfully I remedied that by replacing it with the other one i got from the .aos file.

Gonna try on the moldy sheese now that i have downgraded
So if you just copy paste the .secure file provided by archilles you say it wont work.?? Any one else tried?? I think this should work because this is what the GF hack does. Can anyone write a step by step guide to replace the .secure file when connected in recovery mode?? Please.
Thank you for all the help...!!!! :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

Really now...guess it may have something to do with the usb device or something, maybe something wrong with my copying the jailbroken .secure file that Archos doesnt like so it locks up on startup
A5120/PFW1.7.11
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

If your bootloader is already patched, you can install any rootfs. If you still have the original archos bootloader, obviously, you need to downgrade with a validly signed rootfs. You can find those inside any official archos firmware update... Then once you have downgraded, just use the DTi Games to execute your stuff...
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

EiNSTeiN_ wrote:If your bootloader is already patched, you can install any rootfs. If you still have the original archos bootloader, obviously, you need to downgrade with a validly signed rootfs. You can find those inside any official archos firmware update... Then once you have downgraded, just use the DTi Games to execute your stuff...
I am having difficulty installing the GF hack. So I was seeing this http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos
What are the disadvantages. I mean is there any way I may brick my device while updating with your patched firmware??? How safe is it to install the patched firmware??
Thank you for all the support..!!!! :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
denotsko
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by denotsko »

Guess I also need a noob's guide for this one too. Made in to the point where I could calculate the partition size then was lost once it started talking about unpacking the new firmware.
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

I have downgraded my archos from 1.7.02, reformatted a usb stuck to ext3, copied mouldy_cheeze over to it, executed the commands in Terminal, copied the games folder and the rootfs.cramfs.secure to the root of the archos, plugged that stick into the mini-dock on the archos, tried the jailbreak, no dice

I've cleared that catch many times, reflashed firmware 1.6.54 several times, copied the games and rootfs over in both windows and linux, tried typing the chown and chmod lines both seperately and together as one line, tried 3 different flash drives...still nothing...am I forgetting something here?

does the fact that I already bought some of the plugins make a difference to whether it would work or not?
A5120/PFW1.7.11
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Fenriswaffles wrote:I have downgraded my archos from 1.7.02, reformatted a usb stuck to ext3, copied mouldy_cheeze over to it, executed the commands in Terminal, copied the games folder and the rootfs.cramfs.secure to the root of the archos, plugged that stick into the mini-dock on the archos, tried the jailbreak, no dice

I've cleared that catch many times, reflashed firmware 1.6.54 several times, copied the games and rootfs over in both windows and linux, tried typing the chown and chmod lines both seperately and together as one line, tried 3 different flash drives...still nothing...am I forgetting something here?

does the fact that I already bought some of the plugins make a difference to whether it would work or not?
Me also having same problem. But the difference is that I am on 1.6.54 and have not downgraded, and I have not purchased any plugins.
Should we downgrade still down to 1.6.53 and then try the hack??? Please help..
Thank you for all the support..!!!! :)
openAOS ROCKS!!
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

@edembowski: The system partition is ext3 formatted, so you can use it to install your files for the DTi games hack. That's how I did it...

To the others, I haven't actually tried archilles' stuff but I can tell you once you are running a firmware <1.6.54 there should be no difference whether you downgraded or not. Make sure you copy all the cramfs.secure files, not just the rootfs. Also make sure your device is *shut down*, not just suspended before you downgrade (hold the power button for about 6 seconds until it says "Shutting down...").

Just from memory, make sure you change the permissions like this:

sudo chown 0:0 /file/...
sudo chmod a+rx,ug+s /file/...

this adds read and execute to everybody and then setuid to the file owner and to its group.
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

Now I had not known of this, thanks for the info einstein, you are yet again awesome for giving me insights as to how i have been wasting my time.

EDIT: do you mean the .secure files we used to downgrade?, or the jailbreak that archilles has created? if so, which of these files, all of them?
A5120/PFW1.7.11
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

I feel like I'm repeating myself but here we go: to downgrade, you need to copy the three .secure files from an original archos firmware. You need the original files because those are signed, and at the time you downgrade your bootloader will verify the signature on those files and bail out if the signature is not correct. After the downgrade you should have the DTi games exploit working again, so you should be able to install moldy cheese...
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

To those who had trouble installing the firmware after downgrading, can you give this a try?

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games
kerezov
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kerezov »

EiNSTeiN_ wrote:To those who had trouble installing the firmware after downgrading, can you give this a try?

http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... _DTI_Games

Hey Einstein. I tried patched firmware with DTI games. When i turn on the device, it shows me your boot screen, which I am guessing means that it patched the bootloaders.

I tried downloading via the archos device new firmware updates and it directly started downloading 1.7.02, however i canceled it just in case it's downloading from the archos website.

I downloaded the 1.7.02 from archosDocs and i am installing it with no problems seemingly.

Thanks a lot for that. Does that mean we can technically run anything now using this?

EDIT: It even says patched bootloader 1.7.02 when i restart :)
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

kerezov: it's actually downloading the updates from archos.g3nius.org, this is mentioned at the bottom of the tutorial. We will patch any future update for you so you can safely update to the latest firmware.

Yes, you can install any .aos file with the patched firmware. For now there are none available, but it's the next step in the big plan :)
kerezov
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kerezov »

I read that it downloads them from there - but just wanted to stay on the safe side.

Again thank you.
Fenriswaffles
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Fenriswaffles »

I guess I was sucessful on the patched bootloader (my splash screen is different now), now to try some of the stuff I been wontin' to.

EDIT: YESS, I have FINALLY gotten this Archos "liberated", 'twas as simple as copying the jailbroken rootfs.cramfs.secure over to the hidden partition.

thank youuuu, einstein and Archilles, now to wait for some time for the coders to come out of the woodwork and start tinkering with it enough to make or adapt some new stuff for it.
A5120/PFW1.7.11

Return to “Open Development”