'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
leoinj

Re: 'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Post by leoinj »

So anyone have any idea how the hack goes about unlocking the plugins? I pulled apart the GF rootfs and after comparing files, reading through hacking posts and comparing files again, I still can't figure out what the GF hack does to enable plugins. My best guess is that it's a edit made on the main AVOS executable. If anyone can share a little expertise then I can get to work on porting the hack over to other firmware versions.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

leoinj wrote:My best guess is that it's a edit made on the main AVOS executable
That is a good guess.
openAOS
Tai Nguyen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tai Nguyen »

I have a quite stupid question ( after reading many posts about hacking Archos 5 ) : after hacking archos ( including upate file aos from link http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... re_Updates ) , can I update plug-ins from manufacturer ( such as cinema ,podcast , hi -def , games , etc.. ) without cost . I have an Archos 5 and i'm so confused of hacking Archos . Thank you very much
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by generic_username »

@tai the GF hack is what enables plug-ins, the archos g3niuos hacks i believe just patch the bootloader and allow you to hack the 5 without a dock, you'll have to look round a bit, but i believe there is a post that breaks down every step to do both hacks

edit: indeed i meant that one thanks arch!
Last edited by generic_username on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArchAngel123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchAngel123 »

[quote="generic_username... but i believe there is a post that breaks down every step to do both hacks[/quote]

Yes ... one page back
Tai Nguyen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tai Nguyen »

I have some problems with hacking . The first is : I follow all of steps above and it seems to be good . But there is a mistake ( I think so ) : When I was updating firmware online ( to version 1.7.11 ) , the updating process was so slow , and I cancelled it . And until now I can't surf web or do something relating to Internet ( Everytime I configure the wireless network , pre-patched bootloader 1.6.54 appeared ( screen with text " Loading , Please wait , pre-patched firmware http://www.archos.g3nius.org with a penguin logo ") and it always redirect to the main menu
I don't know how to fix it .

The second problem is : Some buttons are blur ( although the function of them is still good )

And how to hack free add-ons . I don't know how to do to get free add-ons

Please help me . :( :( :( :( :( .
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Tai Nguyen wrote:I have some problems with hacking . The first is : I follow all of steps above and it seems to be good . But there is a mistake ( I think so ) : When I was updating firmware online ( to version 1.7.11 ) , the updating process was so slow , and I cancelled it . And until now I can't surf web or do something relating to Internet ( Everytime I configure the wireless network , pre-patched bootloader 1.6.54 appeared ( screen with text " Loading , Please wait , pre-patched firmware http://www.archos.g3nius.org with a penguin logo ") and it always redirect to the main menu

The second problem is : Some buttons are blur ( although the function of them is still good )

Download and Install the 1.6.54 original firmware from Archos (use the recovery mode-> Repair Disk option to do this). Then follow this guide and hope it will solve your problem
openAOS ROCKS!!
Tai Nguyen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tai Nguyen »

nokiae50 wrote:
Tai Nguyen wrote:I have some problems with hacking . The first is : I follow all of steps above and it seems to be good . But there is a mistake ( I think so ) : When I was updating firmware online ( to version 1.7.11 ) , the updating process was so slow , and I cancelled it . And until now I can't surf web or do something relating to Internet ( Everytime I configure the wireless network , pre-patched bootloader 1.6.54 appeared ( screen with text " Loading , Please wait , pre-patched firmware http://www.archos.g3nius.org with a penguin logo ") and it always redirect to the main menu

Download and Install the 1.6.54 original firmware from Archos (use the recovery mode-> Repair Disk option to do this). Then follow this guide and hope it will solve your problem

Thanks for your reply . But now I have a new difficulty . I hacked my archos 5 successfully , but the firmware back to 1.6.54 ( When hacking , I copy the firmware 1.7.11 to the root of Archos . And after hacking , the main menu of my Archos is very terrible ( It's so bad ,the letters of many buttons become invisible ,although their function is still good ) . I also want to upate firmware to 1.7.11 but I meet a severe difficulty " Bad update file ( code 207 ) " . I don't know how to solve . Please help me again . Thanks
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Tai Nguyen wrote:
nokiae50 wrote:

Thanks for your reply . But now I have a new difficulty . I hacked my archos 5 successfully , but the firmware back to 1.6.54 ( When hacking , I copy the firmware 1.7.11 to the root of Archos . And after hacking , the main menu of my Archos is very terrible ( It's so bad ,the letters of many buttons become invisible ,although their function is still good ) . I also want to upate firmware to 1.7.11 but I meet a severe difficulty " Bad update file ( code 207 ) " . I don't know how to solve . Please help me again . Thanks
Download this file http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos then place it in your archos root. Rename it to firmware_archos5-7.aos
Now go to Recovery Mode then Repair disk, then say Done (You already have the update file in Archos) and that must update it to 1.7.11 patched firmware. Now start Archos again to confirm that you have patched 1.7.11. Now mount the hidden partition and copy this rootfs.cramfs.secure file and tht must do the hack
openAOS ROCKS!!
Tai Nguyen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tai Nguyen »

Download this file http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos then place it in your archos root. Rename it to firmware_archos5-7.aos
Now go to Recovery Mode then Repair disk, then say Done (You already have the update file in Archos) and that must update it to 1.7.11 patched firmware. Now start Archos again to confirm that you have patched 1.7.11. Now mount the hidden partition and copy this rootfs.cramfs.secure file and tht must do the hack
Hic hic , I'm sorry for not following your instructions . My Archos ' status is : It can't work because I copy the " rootfs.cramfs.secure " file to the hidden partition and the result is terrible .

Anybody have original " rootfs.cramfs.secure " ,please upload it .

I intend to download .aos file from the archos hompage and install it . I hope my archos will work again :( :( :( :( :( :(
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Download this file http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos. Rename it to firmware_archos5-7.aos
Now go to Recovery Mode (switch off archos completely, then hold the volume up button and start the player. You should be in the recovery mode. Then Repair disk, copy the downloaded 1.7.11 pre patched firmware to the archos (not the hidden partition) then say Done and that must update it to 1.7.11 patched firmware. Now start Archos again to confirm that you have patched 1.7.11. Now mount the hidden partition and copy this rootfs.cramfs.secure file and that must do the GF hack (all plugins unlocked)
Hope this solves your problem
openAOS ROCKS!!
Tai Nguyen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tai Nguyen »

nokiae50 wrote:Download this file http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos. Rename it to firmware_archos5-7.aos
Now go to Recovery Mode (switch off archos completely, then hold the volume up button and start the player. You should be in the recovery mode. Then Repair disk, copy the downloaded 1.7.11 pre patched firmware to the archos (not the hidden partition) then say Done and that must update it to 1.7.11 patched firmware. Now start Archos again to confirm that you have patched 1.7.11. Now mount the hidden partition and copy this rootfs.cramfs.secure file and that must do the GF hack (all plugins unlocked)

Thanks for your support . And now I hacked my archos 5 successfully . Thank you very much again .
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Tai Nguyen wrote:
nokiae50 wrote:Download this file http://archos.g3nius.org/updates/firmwa ... atched.aos. Rename it to firmware_archos5-7.aos

Thanks for your support . And now I hacked my archos 5 successfully . Thank you very much again .
All the credits goes to to the archos.g3nius.org team, Archilles, Kman666, many others here at archosfans forum
openAOS ROCKS!!
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

nokiae50 wrote: All the credits goes to to the archos.g3nius.org team, Archilles, Kman666, many others here at archosfans forum
Thanks to all of the above. :) Patched my archos, and installed the GF H

Cheers!!!!
www.openAOS.org
billton
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by billton »

Mark me up as the second to suffer from a problem like edwardm. My system froze before I could press play on the penguin screen. After some time I reset my system and now when I load I get the penguin loading screen and the go to the recovery menu. I'm not entirely experienced with linux, but when I check my hidden partition I seem to have only the lost+found file; also my other files seem to be gone. Is there any hope for me? I heard someone mention something about uploading the hidden partition files, would this be of use and would anyone try. (Original Archos 5 120gb, not the android)

Appreciate any advice,
Thanks
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

billton wrote:Mark me up as the second to suffer from a problem like edwardm. My system froze before I could press play on the penguin screen. After some time I reset my system and now when I load I get the penguin loading screen and the go to the recovery menu. I'm not entirely experienced with linux, but when I check my hidden partition I seem to have only the lost+found file; also my other files seem to be gone. Is there any hope for me? I heard someone mention something about uploading the hidden partition files, would this be of use and would anyone try. (Original Archos 5 120gb, not the android)

Appreciate any advice,
Thanks
Please follow this guide at sites.google.com/site/archos5imt
If you are using windows then there is a software called Recuva to recover deleted files.
And try going to the recovery mode by holding the volume up key and then switching on the player, leave the volume up key when you see the recovery mode. Using the volume keys to navigate up and down and use the power key to select. Go to Recover Disk, connect to PC instert the latest original firmware and disconnect from pc and say done. Hopefully your player will start again.
openAOS ROCKS!!
ghostofbunuel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ghostofbunuel »

Hey all,

I got this to work great. Here are my observations on the process.

Ubuntu using Virtualbox

If you're on windows install virtualbox. Virtualbox enables full usb full support. After installing vbx then create a new virtual machine installation but don't worry about a virtual hard drive. Just set up the dvd/cd drive (the virtual one within vbx) to point to the iso you downloaded of ubuntu.

When the virtual machine boots up it loads the cd iso and you get a message telling you to select your lang and then run from the cd (the default options). This is fine. It'll take a few minutes to completely load up. Remember that when you click your mouse into the vm environment you need to use a hotkey to get back into xp (it's usually the right ctrl key or something similar but it will usually tell you at the bottom right of the vm window).

After it loads then this is when you put your archos into recovery mode and then connect the usb cable using the instructions from the site in this thread. Give it a couple of seconds then then you have to choose that device under the menu for usb devices (the vbx menu). Mine said "manufacturer product" and it listed my usb mouse, etc. When you choose "manufacturer product" then xp prompts you to install a driver for some reason. I choose to connect to windows update every time is needed and click next until xp install its driver.

Now, if you try and re-enable the archos with vbx (so it'll show up in your ubuntu live environment) you may get an error saying it's busy. I got this but what I did was shut down vbx completely and then loaded it again and then the loaded ubuntu live cd just as before and after it finished loading up I chose "manufacturer etc" and this time xp didn't prompt me to install any driver and after a couple of seconds the archos icon appeared in ubuntu and I was able to install the hacked firmware using the instructions.

Copying the DTi folder per the instructions went fine. When I downloaded the files using Firefox (within ubutu - it's on the top menu) I chose "open with archiver". The problem was when I tried to drag and drop the patch-1.6.54.zip files into the nautilus window. Every time I dropped them then wouldn't appear so what I did was just open another file manager window (on the menu or on the desktop) and drag/drop the files there and then selected them, copy and then went back to nautilus and pasted the files. That worked. Then I went through the normal process.

I loaded the webpage instructions in FF under ubuntu so I could pretty much copy/paste the commands (no typos). The only thing you have to figure out is the mount command which depends on your hard drive size. Mine was:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t ext3 -o offset=249727726080 /dev/sdb /media/disk 
I just switched back and forth between ubuntu and xp and used xp's calculator to figure it all out.

I also didn't have a games folder but I just created one manually.

Anytime you get the "busy" error for the usb device under ubuntu then simply shutdown vbx completely and load it back up. I think one time I actually had to reboot xp entirely b/c it was still showing old devices in vbx but I only had to reboot once to get to boot up.

The only other thing I can think of that was weird is that when you play the game your screen just sits there and so I pressed play a couple of times but I knew it was working when it changed to the DTi looking screen with a progress type bar at the bottom of the screen. I'm sure there are video tutorials that show some of this but I thought I'd submit my observations.

I'm still using the modified 1.6.4.5 firware, is there any reason to update for the latest 1.7 modified firware? Everything seems to be working great now. I may be able to remote desktop and help people this weekend (pm me).
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

Heres a quick guide to installing ubuntu inside winXP using virtualBox

http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/main/ubuntu-vb
www.openAOS.org
ghostofbunuel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ghostofbunuel »

Spz0 wrote:Heres a quick guide to installing ubuntu inside winXP using virtualBox

http://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/main/ubuntu-vb
That's great but there isn't really a need to use a virtual hard disk and install ubuntu permanently (albeit virtually), the livecd is fine for this. Maybe you can alter your tutorial to include either option?
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

In the works m8. ;)
www.openAOS.org

Return to “Open Development”