'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
cool1two
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: 'at midnight, and by torchlight' i present: guy fawkes hack

Post by cool1two »

OK, This is great... I have an Archos 5 60gb with firmware 1.6.54 and am going to test this ASAP.
But I do have one request from "archilles".

It seems that this device is running an ARM processor, and I know of a few other devices that also run
this type of processor. On these devices I have used a program called FUNPLUG "http://nas-tweaks.net/CH3SNAS:Tutorials/fun_plug"
by FONZ. Can you incorporate this into your GameHack ? it would seem compatible at first glance and would solve most everyones requests.

What do you think ?
Thanks
edembowski
Archos User
Archos User

Post by edembowski »

If you can run the GF hack, you should be able to do this yourself (it's not that hard). The 'ffp plug' is just a shell script (it's architecture independent), and you can make another "game" to sit next to the GF one that uses this script. You'll need to customize it to have what you want in it.

- Ed
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

edwardm wrote:
nokiae50 wrote: Try holding the volume up button while switching on the device and try repair disk, or if you dont mind erasing everything from the player's harddisk then try the format option
Oh dear, I tried repairing and it asked for an update to be put on the archos (the root of the drive I guess) and nothing happened so I did a format which also asked for an update to be put on there again and now it just starts up showing the the "Archos G6H Recovery (Code 101)" screen.
Well then bad luck. The only possible way out of this according to me (may be wrong) will be to ask some one to upload the hidden partion and the system files partion and then you will have to restore those images on to your drive. I think it needs you to remove the harddisk
from archos and then connect to your PC

Anyways looks like you are the 1st one who crashed your Archos after the hack. Anybody else who crahed their archos?
openAOS ROCKS!!
dragonknight
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dragonknight »

@ nokiae50

i think i can be one of the first to say that this hack does not work on all 6 gen archos even if you have 1.6.54 firmware because i have archos 7 and have done everything right. however. when i have finish doing everything the archos is still the same as before.
bubu
Archos User
Archos User

Post by bubu »

edwardm wrote:
nokiae50 wrote: Try holding the volume up button while switching on the device and try repair disk, or if you dont mind erasing everything from the player's harddisk then try the format option
Oh dear, I tried repairing and it asked for an update to be put on the archos (the root of the drive I guess) and nothing happened so I did a format which also asked for an update to be put on there again and now it just starts up showing the the "Archos G6H Recovery (Code 101)" screen.
Hi

have you tried to put back the original archos firmware 1.6.54 when in recovery mode ? you should be able to do it...

once this is done and working... you will be with a fresh original archos firmware so u will have to apply the hack again if u want..

(I'm not using Archilles hack, and did not checked what it is doing actually, but recover to original 1.6.54 should be possible..)

BuBU
openPMA Team
edwardm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edwardm »

nokiae50 wrote: Well then bad luck. The only possible way out of this according to me (may be wrong) will be to ask some one to upload the hidden partion and the system files partion and then you will have to restore those images on to your drive. I think it needs you to remove the harddisk
from archos and then connect to your PC

Anyways looks like you are the 1st one who crashed your Archos after the hack. Anybody else who crahed their archos?
Sounds messy considering how it looks like I'll have to pry the Archos 5 apart..
bubu wrote: Hi

have you tried to put back the original archos firmware 1.6.54 when in recovery mode ? you should be able to do it...

once this is done and working... you will be with a fresh original archos firmware so u will have to apply the hack again if u want..

(I'm not using Archilles hack, and did not checked what it is doing actually, but recover to original 1.6.54 should be possible..)

BuBU
Yes, I put the 1.6.54 update .aos file on the root of my archos and pressed the power button to select "done" and it immediately restarts showing the recovery screen again.

To anyone actually knows what the guy fawkes hack does: is it actually possible/probable that the firmware could be damaged during it's installation?
bubu
Archos User
Archos User

Post by bubu »

ok edwardm

important question, are you an experienced linux user ? if yes there is things you can try... if not that will be harder ! :(

basically if u have a sata HDD edition u can put it into linux box to restore the original archos cramfs... or other things...

BuBU
openPMA Team
sway
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sway »

hey everyone,
I've been trying this for quite a long time now, but anytime I'm type the commands "sudo chown root.99 mouldy_cheeze; sudo chmod ug+s mouldy_cheeze4", in the terminal, I always get this message back:

"chown: cannot access `mouldy_cheeze': No such file or directory"
"chmod: cannot access `mouldy_cheeze': No such file or directory"

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help
KAYZAI
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KAYZAI »

sway wrote:hey everyone,
I've been trying this for quite a long time now, but anytime I'm type the commands "sudo chown root.99 mouldy_cheeze; sudo chmod ug+s mouldy_cheeze4", in the terminal, I always get this message back:

"chown: cannot access `mouldy_cheeze': No such file or directory"
"chmod: cannot access `mouldy_cheeze': No such file or directory"

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help
You need to move to the directory of the USB stick , try:

cd /media/UsbStickName/

It's better name your usb stick with no spaces OR you may have to use : cd /media/"usb stick name"/
Mr_Eayes
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Mr_Eayes »

edwardm wrote:
The same thing happened to me until I right clicked on the firmware file in ubuntu and checked "allow executing file as program" in the permissions tab. After that the Archos saw the update file and actually installed it rather than just rebooting into recovery mode.
edwardm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edwardm »

bubu wrote:ok edwardm

important question, are you an experienced linux user ? if yes there is things you can try... if not that will be harder ! :(

basically if u have a sata HDD edition u can put it into linux box to restore the original archos cramfs... or other things...

BuBU
No, I can get by following instructions but other than that I'd be stumped.
Mr_Eayes wrote: The same thing happened to me until I right clicked on the firmware file in ubuntu and checked "allow executing file as program" in the permissions tab. After that the Archos saw the update file and actually installed it rather than just rebooting into recovery mode.
Hmm, I'm using windows but maybe that's worth a try - you are talking about the standard .aos update file right?
Mr_Eayes
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Mr_Eayes »

Yes, the standard AOS update file was the one used.
edwardm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edwardm »

Mr_Eayes wrote:Yes, the standard AOS update file was the one used.
Tried on the Mythbuntu live CD I used to install the hack but it was already ticked and I couldn't change that or the permissions which were read only, if that matters. I will install Ubuntu and redownload the update to see if that works.
sway
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sway »

@ KAYZAI
thanks for your help.

I have another question. How long does it takes for the device to recognise the connected USB-Thumb-Drive? My Archos keeps telling me to wait and i have been waiting for about 15 min.

thanks again
InVi *A5 120GB*
KAYZAI
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KAYZAI »

sway wrote:@ KAYZAI
thanks for your help.

I have another question. How long does it takes for the device to recognise the connected USB-Thumb-Drive? My Archos keeps telling me to wait and i have been waiting for about 15 min.

thanks again
< 10 seconds
sway
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sway »

KAYZAI wrote:
thanks for your help.

thanks again
< 10 seconds
oh really? then I guess there's something wrong, because I still have the stick in my battery dock und there's still no sign of recognition
InVi *A5 120GB*
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

sway wrote:
KAYZAI wrote:
thanks for your help.

thanks again
< 10 seconds
oh really? then I guess there's something wrong, because I still have the stick in my battery dock und there's still no sign of recognition
Try switching off the archos completely then put it on the dock and switch it on, wait for to boot completely then insert your flask drive and see if that works. Remember to format the flask disk in *ext3* format.
openAOS ROCKS!!
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

edwardm wrote:
Mr_Eayes wrote:Yes, the standard AOS update file was the one used.
Tried on the Mythbuntu live CD I used to install the hack but it was already ticked and I couldn't change that or the permissions which were read only, if that matters. I will install Ubuntu and redownload the update to see if that works.
Try downloading a fresh firmware aos file. May be the one that you are having may be corrupted.

Sorry to know that you crashed your A5. :(

What if you try change the permissions for the terminal. Will the commands used in this hack work for your aos file to give permissions??
openAOS ROCKS!!
Redneck
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Redneck »

thanks for your help.

thanks again
similar issue. i thought i might have just been the old decrepit 1.6.53 FW version. nope. took mine almost an hour to finish the mounting then i couldnt find the drive in the file browser.

at least i know how to do the linux part now. just have to break out another flash drive i guess.
MY SIGNATURE
nokiae50
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nokiae50 »

Redneck wrote:
thanks for your help.

thanks again
similar issue. i thought i might have just been the old decrepit 1.6.53 FW version. nope. took mine almost an hour to finish the mounting then i couldnt find the drive in the file browser.

at least i know how to do the linux part now. just have to break out another flash drive i guess.
Yes, even I have problems mounting the normal FAT32 flash disks. Most of them work tried Sony Micro Vault 8 GB works perfectly, even 4GB, 16GB Transcend works. But tried my friends HP 4GB flash disk. Even that took a long time to mount. I was impatient and removed the connection within a minute. But usually it takes less than 10 seconds to recognise and mount it.
Try a different brand of pendrive. And remember you need to format the pendrive in *ext3* format...
All the best.!!
openAOS ROCKS!!

Return to “Open Development”