be wary of firmware 1.7.13

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

be wary of firmware 1.7.13

Post by rusty »

I downloaded the firmware from softpedia. After recovery, while it still says that it is 1.7.13 my gft does not seem to work anymore. I hope this has not caught anyone else up. I would not trust the archos site downloads either. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something i am missing? Will there be a way around this?
swapeasy
Archos User
Archos User

Re: be wary of firmware 1.7.13

Post by swapeasy »

Hi rusty,
I have had this version of firmware 1.7.13 since 12-2008. This is the one I still am using on my 605 now.
I havent taken the plunge yet with the new hack, waiting a little while to make sure the bugs are gone....
But the firmware should be good to use.
Link:
http://drop.io/h9btrku/media
I hope the link works, I havent used drop.io before...let me know if there is a problem.

I have used this firmware with Qtopia with no problems.
cyclonezephyrxz7
Archos User
Archos User

Post by cyclonezephyrxz7 »

Thank you for the upload of what should be the 'original' 1.7.13 (if what rusty says is true). Much appreciated by myself and probably by those others looking for it.

BTW: MoldyCheese v2 stable doesn't have any bugs besides the sound bar (as far as i can tell), I would recommend installing it :)
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

Thanks very much for your efforts, swapeasy. I imagine as my 605 is the 4 gb model that this firmware is for the 80 gb model and will not work for me. Though i hope it does help anyone else with the 80 gb model. After some hunting around i found my copy of the firmware 1.7.13, which gft did work with, it installed fine, however my gft still does not work. Has archos played a little dirty pool with the available firmware downloads out there? I miss my Qtopia. :(
swapeasy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by swapeasy »

You are right rusty, I should have posted that it is for the 605 30GB model.
Sorry I could not help you with the 4GB model. My other Archos is a 405 2GB which wont help
you at all either......
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

Thanks again, swapeasy. Can anyone confirm that the firmware has been tampered with? It says 1.7.13, however the gft does not work. It does however make the openpma.pdf in the info folder, it just is not launching Qtopia. Any help out there, or have i truly been snookered by archos?
CheBuzz
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CheBuzz »

I would highly doubt that Archos has tampered with the firmware. The backlash would be too dangerous.
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by generic_username »

afaik if it is making the .pdf file the GFT exploit is indeed working.

try:
backing up everything
doing and emergency restore (search the boards, i think you hold the button too long at boot or something)
re-downloading the qtopia package (or at least checking md5sums)
and finally
double check the string you are typing in the wireless server password box against the openPMA wiki (not the forum or archosfans.com wiki as perhaps a character has been dropped in copying and pasting or some such error)
rusty
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rusty »

Thanks for your input generic_username. Still can not shake the suspicion that there are some hooked firmwares out there, i hope this helps though; I was still having the same problem, after poking around in the hacking posts i came across this:

"hey guys this "1;/mnt/data/openpma-ng.sh"
didnt work. but i set
"1;sh /mnt/data/openpma-ng.sh"
and now it works fine"

I thought well there is something i have not tried, i tried it, it mounted the pdf. It needs the full command,
"1;sh /mnt/data/openpma-ng.sh;/bin/chown -R nobody:nobody /home/nobody"
I have never needed the extra sh command before, not sure why it has changed all of the sudden but thanks to Bosti i have my Qtopia back. Now if we could just have a little help with moldy cheese versions, 0.3(a605F), and 0.4(a705), everything would be just swell. Once again Archilles, =D> props for the newest exploit. Though i do not own the a5, i am sure you have put a smile on at least a few owners faces.

Return to “Open Development”