Android porting to "old" Archos 5 (non-Android IMT)

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
alsutton

Android porting to "old" Archos 5 (non-Android IMT)

Post by alsutton »

After chatting with Archilles I've set up a google group to discuss what we need, how to do it, how far we are, etc.

If you want to join it's at;

http://groups.google.com/group/Archos-5 ... id-porting

(Also if you know someone doing work with the A5 IMT stuff then please pass along the link as they may have some useful tips).
EiNSTeiN_
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Android porting to "old" Archos 5 (non-Android IMT)

Post by EiNSTeiN_ »

An irc channel would be nice!
Omega Frost
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Omega Frost »

Any chance to get this running on 605/705 or the hardware is to weak(if changed at all)?
alsutton

Post by alsutton »

I don't think there are enough people to make an IRC channel feasible at the moment.

As for the 605/705 - Many Android apps make use of a network connection, so the 5's inclusion of WiFi makes it a good candidate. It may be possible on the 605/705, but the usefulness would be limited outside of the wifi versions.
Omega Frost
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Omega Frost »

well then, how could we mere mortals help?
NITRO1250
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by NITRO1250 »

If you guys get this working, please put an up to date flash player in the browser! I was just on youtube last night and apparently in the last couple weeks, youtube changed the minimum flash player requirement to watch videos to version 10. Not only that, but other sites have done the same. I was deeply saddened when I saw that...
Deejay300
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Deejay300 »

alsutton wrote:I don't think there are enough people to make an IRC channel feasible at the moment.

As for the 605/705 - Many Android apps make use of a network connection, so the 5's inclusion of WiFi makes it a good candidate. It may be possible on the 605/705, but the usefulness would be limited outside of the wifi versions.
the archos 605 and 705 both have wifi. It was the previous generation that didnt.
alsutton

Post by alsutton »

Thanks for the info about the 605 & 705.

At the moment there's a rumour doing the rounds that the Motorola/Verizon Droid is using the same CPU as the Archos 5 (TI OMAP3430) which will mean a chunk of the Android work may already be done for us for the 5, but, from what I've seen the 605& 705 use an older CPU so it may involve more work.

It's something we'll probably keep in mind though.
Deejay300
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Deejay300 »

Ive heard that it is likely to be a snapdragon in the Motorola Droid... I cant remember where I saw that though.
soviet123
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by soviet123 »

Um, I would like to know whether we can change the CPU, eh?
If we can delete the *entire* OS, I and a friend have *some* experiences in programming OS's. Mostly freeBSD and stuff, but we may be able to make Rockbox working on this Gen6 system (provided we can change the CPU, add RAM, stuff).
A7-320 v1.7.02
alsutton

Post by alsutton »

Deejay300 wrote:Ive heard that it is likely to be a snapdragon in the Motorola Droid... I cant remember where I saw that though.
I saw those too, but the BoyGenius hands on report seems pretty certain it's a TI OMAP 3430.
vl4doman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by vl4doman »

NITRO1250 wrote:If you guys get this working, please put an up to date flash player in the browser! I was just on youtube last night and apparently in the last couple weeks, youtube changed the minimum flash player requirement to watch videos to version 10. Not only that, but other sites have done the same. I was deeply saddened when I saw that...
just use http://www.youtube.com/xl

that one still works and has the nicer ui anyway.. I guess its for some TVs where YT does not think the version of flash is totally up to date... :)
NITRO1250
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by NITRO1250 »

What I was saying is that the minimum system requirements (in this case, the flash player version) has changed to a version higher than my version 9. It probably is version 10. Regardless, I can no longer view or play flash content on most of the major streaming networks anymore.
lloyd877
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by lloyd877 »

Ok sorry for this idiotic Question but when Archilles does do his release on Nov. 5 Is it a new OS to load or does it just add like a bunch of apps to the archos?
Archos 5 60GB
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

lloyd877 wrote:when Archilles does do his release on Nov. 5 Is it a new OS to load or does it just add like a bunch of apps to the archos?
I guess neither of the two. It will just give the possibility of booting a custom rootfs which means that any of what you mentioned will be possible. It doesn't mean that it will actually happen and that archilles will be the person to do it, though.
openAOS
lloyd877
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by lloyd877 »

Thanks for clearing that up.
Archos 5 60GB
2nafish
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 2nafish »

bemoo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bemoo »

Does somebody know if the Archos-version of Android will be ported or the basic 'Google'-version.
The reason I'm asking is because I also own a G1-phone with android but it does not have great video-applications for video-playback.
The Archos-android probably does.
stplatt
Archos User
Archos User

Post by stplatt »

bemoo wrote:Does somebody know if the Archos-version of Android will be ported or the basic 'Google'-version.
The reason I'm asking is because I also own a G1-phone with android but it does not have great video-applications for video-playback.
The Archos-android probably does.
Surely IF it is done it will be a more generic version and not the Archos version, since apparently the A5 hardware can't support the Archos IMT Android flavor.

But that's a big IF. Who knows if this will ever happen (I really hope so).

Return to “Open Development”