An ultimatum for archos

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
CTID
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: An ultimatum for archos

Post by CTID »

Agreed. The HDD lock is a cynical and calculated move by Archos.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Actually, there are a number of exploits you can do on locked down devices with unlocked hard drives. I expect it has more to do with that.

Not that I'm a big fan of locking devices or anything :lol: , but when you've got a locked device, to leave the hard drive unlocked is just creating a really easy opening for exploits.

I just think that's more likely to be the main reason for locking drives to the device.

Michael
CTID
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by CTID »

possibly the reason. But considering the whole plug in purchase system, which is an absolute disgrace considering they advertise the player as having capabilities that only work with further purchases, they are still cynical.

If they weren't cynical, now that the plugins are available via GFT3 and they don't officially support the machine anymore, they could release a 2.+ firmware with the HDD lock off, very simple to do. Obviously a SDE would be nice too!

Personally, unlike Grond I think they have reacted a little to Achilles. Why silence for years then a slew of SDE's around the time mouldy cheese comes out.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

For the SDEs, because they moved to an quasi-open-source orientation 2 years ago, they get tax credits in France for opening up devices like that and it's a good selling point for the hobbyist/geek market.

As for the codec packs, they have to pay per unit royalties on some codecs, some of them are more expensive and less common than others, so they broke some of them apart from the base unit so as to keep prices down and profits up?

Finally, these sorts of complex hacks are used only by a fraction of the buying audience. Most people who have an Archos device have never been here and most of them lack the technical skill and understanding to do many of these exploits.

This is a small company that's been teetering on the brink of insolvency and has had to put a new business plan in place and develop viable new platforms to impress investors enough for them to make funding rounds so they can stay in business long enough to determine whether or not they can hit a large enough market share to make a big enough profit to pay off the short-term loans and stay solvent.

I don't think it's about nice or nasty. I think impersonal market economics and standard management principles in their regulatory environment explains most of what they do pretty well.

How many other consumer devices get hacked through and through? And how many of them release the equivalent of SDEs as a result of that hacking? I'm not saying the two things (hacking and SDE releases) definitely are not related, I don't know.

But I am saying that it isn't likely that there is a strict cause and effect relationship between hacks and the SDE releases, because there are a lot of other factors I've mentioned here that would pre-dispose tem to do what they've done even without anyone having to have hacked any of their devices.

That being said, I would hope that if anyone knows how to do a hack that would do a lot of good for people in the community, that they would just release them.

Know how to unlock HDDs for any or all generations? Please share, many of us will be grateful!

Can you get persistent root and bypass the security on the file system on the new Android builds, or break the anti-rollback code in those firmwares? Great! Lots of people would be very happy to make use of that knowledge!

But I don't know that the whole blackmail posturing is all that useful. But I also respect other peoples choices with how they decide whether or not to share what they know. It's their own hard work and if they choose to keep it to themselves, it's their right. just because you know something doesn't give me the right to demand you give it to me free of charge or in a way not of your choosing.

At least that's how I see it, but I respect the points of view of other people. especially those who have contributed to the community.

Michael
infotba
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by infotba »

I can pay 30 USD for play flash 9/10 on my Archos 605 wifi 160 gb.
help me ?
CTID
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by CTID »

Still nothing from Archos for the 605 users left marooned. Any bomb shells to drop Achilles to kick Archos up the derrière!

Return to “Open Development”