I called Archos about the Linux source code for the 604 WiFi

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

Zach,

Section 3-b of the GNU GPL v2 is as follows:

"Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give
any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing
source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding
source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
medium customarily used for software interchange;"

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

From what I gather, we are required to offer it via mail as to provide equal
access to the source (i.e. not everyone has access to the internet). There is
no requirement for online posting. Please write to the address in the link
below if you would like a copy of the source code.

I'm ready to send in $20 soon (I'm gone for 2 weeks though), it'd be nice if anyone wanted to pitch in money but if not that's cool too. I'm going to europe on vacation actually so maybe I'll just mail my request while I'm in france... I don't exactly know how international mail works.
bazz
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Interesting File

Post by bazz »

Mojorisin69 wrote:Check this out it may be of some use to someone with some skillz. I hooked up my archos to my usb port on my computer and set it up as a hard drive. I was browsing around the archos directories and came across a self extracting file that needs a password. If you go to system then pos there is a file called pos 604 wifi. I tried to extract it but it asked my for a password. I tried to run a passwor d cracker on it but it said it wasnt a zip file. I am curious as to what it is and why it has a password. Please help me figure this out. When I tried to extract it the words where in french.It appears to be a winzip file.

Tried to find it in /system/ but could not find it. Did a search and was no file located on my archos. Have no POS directory
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

is your archos

Post by Mojorisin69 »

Is your archos hooked up to your usb cable and setup as a hard drive?
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

yeah I don't have that file either...
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

thats weird

Post by Mojorisin69 »

Do you have the cinema plugin? Dont know why you cant see it. We are talking about the 604 wifi?hmm I wonder if I could post it somewhere.
bazz
Archos User
Archos User

Re: thats weird

Post by bazz »

Mojorisin69 wrote:Do you have the cinema plugin? Dont know why you cant see it. We are talking about the 604 wifi?hmm I wonder if I could post it somewhere.

I have no plugins
bazz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by bazz »

So is there any new movement on this subject? (Source code)
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

Didnt take long for someone to get Linux running on the Zune. This could actually make this player useful.
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

Check this out:
http://gofurygo.blogspot.com/2007/01/ar ... -goes.html

That's great! This is what we want for the Wifi, don't we.. :-)

Here's the original Nokia 770 Page:
http://www.nokiausa.com/770/1,7841,feat:1,00.html

Wow...check the supported filetypes... gez.. :-| No plugins there...

Doh... I knew there was a downside to it... tiny tiny storage... to bad it only supports Memory cards up to 1GB... so it's obviously an internet device and no PMP.

Cheapest Price I could fine in Europe (Germany) was 270├óÔÇÜ┬¼...
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Someone please provide the info to get rhe source.

Post by Mojorisin69 »

Has anyone paid the 20 bucks to get the source?could someone provide information needed to get the source. Are there any coders that are on this forum?
kitty
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kitty »

That POS exe/zip file on the 604wifi can be downloaded at the Archos ftp website

ftp://support.archos.com/Archos_604_WiFi/System/POS/

I'd like to know what's in there too
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

Hmm... I don't think that's the sourcecode. It's way to small (64KB). Unfortunately, I can't open it - I'm on Ubuntu-Linux.

Also, it was added November 11th. Which was prior this thread and therefore prior the first (official)request of bazz.

And why is it only available for the 604wifi? Wouldn't it make sense that similar files appear in the 504, 604, 404 folders as well?

So I doubt it's the sourcecode.
Tramp
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Tramp »

I found that, and let a password cracker run on it for two hours, it extracted a .txt but it had nothing in it. Very strange.
mtb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mtb »

What was the password?
T
bazz
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Someone please provide the info to get rhe source.

Post by bazz »

Mojorisin69 wrote:Has anyone paid the 20 bucks to get the source?could someone provide information needed to get the source. Are there any coders that are on this forum?

I'd be willing to chip in to get the source out there!!! Or maybe buy it my self.
mtb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mtb »

Me to, I mean its only $20.
As long as you can guarantee that the $20 will actually get you the source code and tell me how to get it.
I tried emailing Archos before but they didn't reply.
T
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

If someone wants to send in the $20, I'd chip in once you got it... or if you want I can send in the $20, whatever.
I would give archos a call first though and make sure a $20 check is still ok though, as their site says a 15 euro check.

mtb, they told me to use the same instructions as for the pma440 source... which are at http://www.archos.com/support/download/software/gpl_notice.html?country=global&lang=en

but make sure you specify you want the Archos 604 wifi source code!!!
mtb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mtb »

OK,
I'm no expert when it comes to anything to do with the source code, but I think if we can atleast get hold of it there are plenty of people who can, so I guess I wouldn't mind paying $20 unless you want to go $10 each zachman123. I will probably send it in £'s though. comes to roughy £10.
Who do I phone to ask for the source code, I live in the UK btw.
T
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

Here's the numbers for Archos http://www.archos.com/corporate/company ... al&lang=en

You should probably give them a call and make sure pounds is alright... half and half sounds good though, I'll send you £5 over paypal (does it let you convert money...?) if you want to send it to them.

I think they'll still want you to send it to their France office, as they've told me the source isn't anywhere else.

What's your paypal address?
mtb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mtb »

I will phone Archos UK tommorrow, did they say to you that they are prepared to send you thr 604 Wi-Fi Source Code, in an email?
You can send the money once I have the source code just incase I send the money and they refuse.
T

Return to “Open Development”