I called Archos about the Linux source code for the 604 WiFi

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
toadsurfer
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by toadsurfer »

Americans taking the piss out of other nations' war performances? Surely not.
bazz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by bazz »

Little more info. I posted my original post on a different forum, seems there is a little more info there. Looks like it runs MontaVista Linux
[url=http://www.archopen.org/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=495&topics_threshold=0&topics_offset=1&topics_sort_mode=commentDate_desc&topics_find=&forumId=15]http://www.archopen.org/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=495&topics_threshold=0
&topics_offset=1&topics_sort_mode=commentDate_desc&topics_find=&forumId=15[/url]
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

Hey,

raid517 has posted there as well:
Linky

This board:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=2012

So that means raid replied to your thread on archopen -->that means we now have 2 threads on 2 boards with kind of the same info.... :-) Doh...!

@zachman,

looking forward to that email with the sourcecode...!
theonlyrick
Archos User
Archos User

Post by theonlyrick »

I had the Archos Recorder, 20 gb. I bought based on what the guy in the shop demonstrated to me. As it was new technology, I only perceived the incredible number of incredible deficiencies as niggles:

Random crashing
Useless battery meter
Unusable playlists
Quiet hissing throughout
Hearing hard drive spinup louder than the music
Ugly, badly-designed and useless interface

When those incredible geeks at Rockbox started producing the Rockbox OS, it was like someone had replaced a horse and cart with an F1 car. The difference was just unbelievable. All the above problems disappeared within a month, plus a *huge* torrent of other improvements. If anyone wants to know what they are: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureComparison

The reason I'm posting this is to say that there is real support for a modified OS. I can only imagine what could be achieved...

I'm not anti-Archos - I'm pro-Archos - That's why I want them to let me improve this very expensive gadget.

If there's any progress, please let us know!

Richard
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

You're right, Richard! I'm still owning an old 6k Jukebox (upgraded to 20GB). With Rockbox it has just about doubled it's value ...well, kinda :-)

In fact, there are opensource firmware projects for just about every other (former) popular Archos DAP/PMP:
http://gofurygo.blogspot.com/2006/10/wa ... rchos.html

Hope they'll release the sourcecode soon!

martin
JaseP
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by JaseP »

See... Open Source increases value... Take it away!!!
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

They emailed me back saying the source code isn't available online yet, but I can send them 15 euros ($20 usd) to get a copy of it in the mail.

If other people would pitch in a couple bucks I'd happily send off $10 of my own for the copy of the source and put it online... I don't feel like putting up a whole $20 though just for that.

Or should I keep trying to get them to release an online copy?
Black Magic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Black Magic »

They should really release it on the internet. They have with the PMA 400 so I see no reason why the same cannot be done for the Archoa 604 WiFi.

Hopefully, we'll see some results.
www.revolutionwebdesign.co.uk

Dedicated to creating cutting-edge, sophisticated and dynamic web based solutions.
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

They emailed me back saying the source code isn't available online yet, but I can send them 15 euros ($20 usd) to get a copy of it in the mail.

If other people would pitch in a couple bucks I'd happily send off $10 of my own for the copy of the source and put it online... I don't feel like putting up a whole $20 though just for that.

Or should I keep trying to get them to release an online copy?

What?? Archos has the nerve to charge "us" for the sourcecode? Ain't a linux sourcecode under GPL supposed to be free, ain it? And what's the problem putting it online? They can create a new folder here: ftp://support.archos.com/ and upload the damn sourcecode... What's their problem? *seething*
Black Magic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Black Magic »

Martinjay, on the page for source code for the PMA 400 it says that the cost is just to cover postage and packaging and beneath that is a link to download it for free.
However, they havent put up the 604 wifi source code here.

Dedicated to creating cutting-edge, sophisticated and dynamic web based solutions.
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

After re-reading zachmans post, I found out that all the *seething* was in vain :-) I figured by "in the mail" he meant via email... So I'll take everythng back... :-)
zachman123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zachman123 »

Yeah sorry I meant in the postal mail. I guess I'll keep calling them more (2 calls so far and way too many emails) before giving up and sending off $20 (for "shipping and handling")
JaseP
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by JaseP »

Under the GPLv2, they are supposed to make the source avilable in the same manner as their binary distribution... which for the case of updates is internet download,... so keep bugging them,... eventually they will relent.
mtb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mtb »

Do you think if they did release the source code, people would be able to add their own plugins (like the Archos's "Cinema plug-in" and "Video podcast plug-in").
Could this be a reason why they are holding it back???
T
Black Magic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Black Magic »

It is all too probable that that is the exact reason they are holding back. By releasing the source code they are also giving the community the oppurtunity to put their own apps on the archos as well as codecs.

However, if they are indeed in violation of the GPL what choice do they have?

I for one would love to see some PDA features on this things(maybe Qtopia or Opie) but would prefer if it was dual bootable.

Anyone that has heard of the iStation V43 may remember that they ported Qtopia to it and to access it one had to click on Tux the penguin which wasjust another icon on the loading menu.

Black Magic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Black Magic »

For those of you interested emulators have also been put on the iStation V43.

Unfortunately this thing never really made it outside of Korea but if you want to have at look at what might come to the Archos 604 WiFi go to www.pmplab.org and at the top sign in with:
User name: pmpmaniac
Password: v43

There is also an English forum as I doubt any of you understand korean - I definitely don't.
thinkfat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by thinkfat »

I would not expect too much from the release of this source code when it eventually happens. There's nothing in the GPL that forces Archos to open up the device. You'll probably be able to recompile the whole lot of GPL applications, but I doubt that you'll be able to install them.
Until somebody finds out how the boot code works and is able to replace it.

TiVo also only published the source code, but doesn't allow installation, if I'm not mistaken.
JaseP
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by JaseP »

Tivos can be bootloader hacked to allow Open software to be put on them, but are then useless as standard Tivos again thereafter... the key is that Tivo is a subscription service.

It's likely that there is something to the GPL providing some clue as to how the installation of new software is worked, and THAT will give hackers a key to understanding how to replace the bootloader as in the 430... Once the bootloader has been hacked, it ought to be possible to give the 604 WiFi a complete "brain transplant" and make that open Linux OS dual bootable with the standard Archos firmware...

I think the real reason they don't want to release the source code is that they have some sort of other GPL violations sitting out there that can be discovered if they let people see the code... such as binary drivers for the WiFi chipset that hook into the kernel, and/or codecs that are unlicensed or amount to GPL violations themselves (WMV files anyone?!?!) residing in the binary installation only requiring an activation code...
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting File

Post by Mojorisin69 »

Check this out it may be of some use to someone with some skillz. I hooked up my archos to my usb port on my computer and set it up as a hard drive. I was browsing around the archos directories and came across a self extracting file that needs a password. If you go to system then pos there is a file called pos 604 wifi. I tried to extract it but it asked my for a password. I tried to run a passwor d cracker on it but it said it wasnt a zip file. I am curious as to what it is and why it has a password. Please help me figure this out. When I tried to extract it the words where in french.It appears to be a winzip file.
bazz
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Interesting File

Post by bazz »

Mojorisin69 wrote:Check this out it may be of some use to someone with some skillz. I hooked up my archos to my usb port on my computer and set it up as a hard drive. I was browsing around the archos directories and came across a self extracting file that needs a password. If you go to system then pos there is a file called pos 604 wifi. I tried to extract it but it asked my for a password. I tried to run a passwor d cracker on it but it said it wasnt a zip file. I am curious as to what it is and why it has a password. Please help me figure this out. When I tried to extract it the words where in french.It appears to be a winzip file.

I'm gonna guess its a tar or a bzip.

Return to “Open Development”