uname

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

uname

Post by grond »

Code: Select all

Linux openPMA-ng 2.6.10_mvl402 #3 Sun Sep 14 01:17:14 CEST 2008 armv5tejl unknown

:badgrin:
openAOS
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: uname

Post by thethirdmoose »

What's this?
generic_username
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by generic_username »

Hmm.... New OpenPMA image-y goodness on the way?

somebody make my day plz :D
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

thethirdmoose wrote:What's this?

man uname
openAOS
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

I know what uname does, but I think I'm missing something...
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

grond wrote:

Code: Select all

Linux openPMA-ng 2.6.10_mvl402 #3 Sun Sep 14 01:17:14 CEST 2008 armv5tejl unknown

:badgrin:

But sadly enough not for firmwares > 1.7.13 Or am I wrong?

Maurice 8)
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

divx118 wrote:But sadly enough not for firmwares > 1.7.13 Or am I wrong?

It depends on the definition of "not for firmwares > 1.7.13":

openAOS
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

thethirdmoose wrote:I know what uname does, but I think I'm missing something...

Have a look at the compile date.
openAOS
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

Wow! That's really awesome! Thanks, and congratulations! Is it just me, or did you figure out how to roll your own plugins? The "Screen" and "C" plugins don't seem familiar.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

thethirdmoose wrote:Wow! That's really awesome! Thanks, and congratulations! Is it just me, or did you figure out how to roll your own plugins? The "Screen" and "C" plugins don't seem familiar.

Well, there seem to be some hidden plugins for development purposes. The line isn't long enough to list all plugins, the "C" is the start of "Core" which produces core dumps (however they seem to be useless), "Screen" is probably for making screenshots. This is just a side effect of hacking the bootloader, you can do some nasty binary hacking. E.g. I have also hacked the volume limitation and I have an 80G harddisk in my 605-30.

As for the firmware version, the bootloader is a (heavily modified) 1.7.13, the firmware is, as you can see, 2.1.04. And no, this is currently not possible for bootloaders >1.7.13 as Archos decided to activate the lockdown feature of the bootflash which makes writing to the bootflash impossible. However, I still have hopes to find a way of hacking that, we will see (if I ever have enough time for that...)

The point of the post was mostly to celebrate the fact that we can now even build our own kernels which is a pretty recent development. The bootloader hack itself was done around March IIRC.
openAOS
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

Does hacking the bootloader involve opening up the unit? Are you planning to post instructions now, or do some more work first?
serag
Archos User
Archos User

Post by serag »

Congrats grond (and whoever else was involved). Can't wait to see where this takes us. so glad i left my firmware at 1.7.13
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

thethirdmoose wrote:Does hacking the bootloader involve opening up the unit?

No. Replacing the harddisk: yes ;)

Are you planning to post instructions now, or do some more work first?

Patience...
openAOS
dennis1a4
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dennis1a4 »

Sweeeeet! Glad to see things are still happening, even if slowly. Big thanks to everyone that is working on this. I got upgraded to a newer firmware when I sent in my unit for repair so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you guys can make this work on firmwares >1.7.13. Again thanks for everything for all the time and hard work you've put into this. Keep us posted on any developments. =D> :D
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

As for the firmware version, the bootloader is a (heavily modified) 1.7.13, the firmware is, as you can see, 2.1.04. And no, this is currently not possible for bootloaders >1.7.13 as Archos decided to activate the lockdown feature of the bootflash which makes writing to the bootflash impossible. However, I still have hopes to find a way of hacking that, we will see (if I ever have enough time for that...)

If that would be possible you would make me and I think alot of other people very happy. Then we could add some extra's to the archos like a text-editor, a decent e-bookreader and a command line to improve my linux knowledge :D

Congrats to everyone who made this possible.

Maurice 8)
Logik
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Logik »

i've been waiting for something like this! :D

im glad i've never upgraded from fw: 1.7.13

also can you tell us how to get the extra (hidden) plugins?
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

Logik wrote:i've been waiting for something like this! :D

im glad i've never upgraded from fw: 1.7.13

also can you tell us how to get the extra (hidden) plugins?

The hidden plugins don't do anything that would be of value to an end user. They are for diagnostic purposes, I think.

And I should point out that, while this is a sterling effort from grond, it only (as yet) works for firmwares < 1.7.13.

That is, if you have 1.7.13 you can now upgrade to 2.x without losing the ability to hack. But there isn't _yet_ a way to hack 2.x firmwares that the user installed or are supplied on the device. There might be a way in future, but not yet.

I'm only saying this to protect grond from a flood of messages from people with 2.x firmwares :)
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

kb wrote:The hidden plugins don't do anything that would be of value to an end user. They are for diagnostic purposes, I think.

Yes, they don't seem to do anything useful.

And I should point out that, while this is a sterling effort from grond

Some others have their share: you, bubu, and two other guys (one not active on this forum, another one I'm not sure whether he wants to be mentioned).

That is, if you have 1.7.13 you can now upgrade to 2.x without losing the ability to hack.

If you have >1.7.13. 1.7.13 is the last hackable firmware. 1.8.03 (?) which appeared right after the GFT was found enables the lockdown of the bootflash.
openAOS
Logik
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Logik »

does this allow unsigned software to be used?
b0hoon
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by b0hoon »

It's awesome...congratulations! I've tried to hack it too but have failed. I'm too old for it...
It's a pitty that i bought a unit with firmware 2.0 installed. :(

Return to “Open Development”