can some hacker teach archos a lesson???

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

can some hacker teach archos a lesson???

Post by suraj »

i am totally frustrated as the archos have released a new f/w for 605 wid some important new features.
why cant they do it for 604 wifi. ok i agree to the point that 604 wifi has just 64 RAM. if not flash support they can at least release a f/w with some helpful features like alarm clock,extra volume etc. so far they have only fixed the existing bugs(which too they have stopped it now) for 604 wifi. but they have not even added a single new feature to fulfill atleast 1/4th of wish of the customers.

dont u people the customers of 604 wifi feel the need to teach archos a lesson by raising a voice against them??? it should be done either by unity or by some hackers.

so i just wanted to know will the hackers be working on the next release of qtopia which wud have some helpful features as mentioned above to teach archos a proper lesson???
i am absolutely ready to contribute for hackers to fuck these archos people and teach them a proper lesson about customer satisfaction issue.

This kind of partiality is just unacceptable :evil:

what do u all say???
Last edited by suraj on Thu May 01, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattbu
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mattbu »

i understand where your coming from and totally believe your side, but i see what archos has done, when the 606 comes out they will probably stop firmware for the 605 not long after, because they are spending most of the time and money on the new archos.
its a shame, and i bet ur really angry because they have stopped stuff for the 604 to work on the 605.
most companies will eventually do this, like the huge companies like sony and apple dont continue to make accessories for their old products, but i think because archos have less products they have started doing this sooner.
In that case, im worried about my 605 in a years so time.. but the only adivce i can think of is getting a 605, you get so much more!
Archos 605 4GB
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

Why do you think that A) the 604 can do everything the 605 can and B) that archos is required to provide patches forever?
mx344
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mx344 »

lol ya they are pretty good at patching the products no matter how old they are.....
God saves!!
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

op!! read the rules!, if you wish to use that poor language keep it in the trash area, i cant be bother to edit the title or your post.
roy
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by suraj »

sorry for that language. any ways i have changed it now.
BlkSabbath
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by BlkSabbath »

i realy think the hacking community should switch direction and go after little things like plugins and addons
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

It's just business, again.

If you stop supporting an old version of a product, then owners of that product will typically do one of three things

1. Buy a new one, perhaps selling the old one to raise money
2. Never buy anything from you ever again
3. Complain furiously, then (1) or (2)

A successful support strategy involves giving _just_ enough support to legacy products that the amount of money you make from group (1) exceeds the amount you lose from group (2). It's really as simple as that.

I owned a 504, and it served me pretty well for a year or so. When the 605 was released I sold the 504 and bought a 605. Amazingly, I got as much from selling the 504 as the 605 cost, and only about £30 down on what I paid for the 504 originally.

So, yes, I'd rather that Archos supported the x04s with more vigour, but I'm not hugely inconvenienced if they don't. I'd bet that anybody who wanted to get a 605 in place of a 604 or 504 could do so via eBay without losing much money.
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by suraj »

kb wrote:It's just business, again.

If you stop supporting an old version of a product, then owners of that product will typically do one of three things

1. Buy a new one, perhaps selling the old one to raise money
2. Never buy anything from you ever again
3. Complain furiously, then (1) or (2)

A successful support strategy involves giving _just_ enough support to legacy products that the amount of money you make from group (1) exceeds the amount you lose from group (2). It's really as simple as that.

I owned a 504, and it served me pretty well for a year or so. When the 605 was released I sold the 504 and bought a 605. Amazingly, I got as much from selling the 504 as the 605 cost, and only about £30 down on what I paid for the 504 originally.

So, yes, I'd rather that Archos supported the x04s with more vigour, but I'm not hugely inconvenienced if they don't. I'd bet that anybody who wanted to get a 605 in place of a 604 or 504 could do so via eBay without losing much money.

yes i do understand that its a simple business trick.but i bought archos just 2 months ago. the main reasons that i bought 604 wifi was
1) it has a detachable battery, which is a very important factor for me.because the main reason i bought archos is to listen to music and watch movies while i am traveling,if i buy an extra battery then i could use it continuesly for 10 to 12 hrs for both videos and music which is certainly not possible in 605.
i hardly use wifi as there are not too many wifi spots here.it just makes me proud when i mention abt it amongst my frens. :) and even if i could use it i would not be much happy to use the wifi and loose all the charge in an hour or so. it would have been really appreciable if it had a battery back up of at leat 3 to 4 hrs for using wifi. just imagine when u r traveling or when u r out with ur frens n family the player shuts down completely in an hour or so for wifi.which i think is really not cool.
and i really dont understand why people are so much bothered about wifi when it can last only for an hour or max up to 1/12 hrs.do u really think one can get the completely entertainment in that short span.
adn above all the 605 dosen even have a detachable battery which is the greatest draw back for me.

2) and second thing is i had to pay a $30 extra for an opera browser if i would have bought 605. as i said above even if it supports flash and u-tube videos u can't use for a long time for wifi because of the battery back up. and it really sucks to change an inbuilt battery after its completely gone. because u have to train ur self to do soldering before it happens.

3)the third reason i bought archos was to record from tv. and also play movies directly on to tv from archos.which saves my investment on a dvd player.

what i was expecting from archos is just to give their old costomers a feeling that they have not been completely neglected.
even if it can not do every thing what 605 can do i am sure there are so many thing which can be added through a firware update.
sp its little frustrating to see archos completely neglecting the old customers which i think is really bad business strategy.
but to be frank i am quite happy with my 604 wf. i would not go for an upgrade till i see a player which can really do some wonders. :)

edit: it really surprised me when i used the mic for recording its really good its never been discussed any where before. as i am a musician it really helps me a lot to record my own concerts.
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

Again, what makes you think that a "simple firmware upgrade" will be able to make the 604 equal to the 605??? I just don't understand.
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by suraj »

thethirdmoose wrote:Again, what makes you think that a "simple firmware upgrade" will be able to make the 604 equal to the 605??? I just don't understand.

did i ever mention any where that i want the archos 604wf to be equal to 605??? every model has its own advantages and disadvantages. i would never want archos 604wf to compete with 605. instead i would criticize on archos for neglecting 604wf after the release of 605. why do they only have to concentrate on gen5??? it looks really ridicules. every customer has to be given the same importance. and do u think archos 604wf has got all the features that it is capable of??? i just want archos to also keep working on 604 to provide customers the feeling that they do care for our money and should always make us feel proud for choosing their product.
u would realise this only when gen6 comes out and gen5 customers will be treated like ......
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

hmmm, this is perfectly normal in technology. when something is released then its out of date before it hits the shelves, it happens in EVERY company. the 604 was supported in feb with a firmware upgrade which suprised me more than most, if you have been a long time archos owner you should have known that as soon as an new product is out then the old one is no longer supported to the degree it intially was. i wouldnt expect new features on my 2yr old 604 let alone my 5 yr old av300. archos is a much smaller company than apple (yuck) for example, they do support until the firmwares are stable. you cant expect a smaller firm like archos to carry on R+D on a defunct unit, its not cost effective, they wont retrieve any more money from that unit so it dosnt get developed any further. the 605 WILL be virtually abandoned when the next model is out, thats what ppl expect and have become used to, in an ideal world they would support and upgrade until hell freezes over but we dont live in an ideal world.
i dont back up your claim for 1hr wifi, i have mine running for 3hrs flat without the thing dying, and with the battery dock connected i often stream to the player then output to the tv for a good 5-6 hrs with wifi. my friend who has the 604 wifi says he gets a good 3 hrs so i would suspect your battery may be on its last legs if its dying that quickly.
roy
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by suraj »

roylovelock wrote:hmmm, this is perfectly normal in technology. when something is released then its out of date before it hits the shelves, it happens in EVERY company. the 604 was supported in feb with a firmware upgrade which suprised me more than most, if you have been a long time archos owner you should have known that as soon as an new product is out then the old one is no longer supported to the degree it intially was. i wouldnt expect new features on my 2yr old 604 let alone my 5 yr old av300. archos is a much smaller company than apple (yuck) for example, they do support until the firmwares are stable. you cant expect a smaller firm like archos to carry on R+D on a defunct unit, its not cost effective, they wont retrieve any more money from that unit so it dosnt get developed any further. the 605 WILL be virtually abandoned when the next model is out, thats what ppl expect and have become used to, in an ideal world they would support and upgrade until hell freezes over but we dont live in an ideal world.
i dont back up your claim for 1hr wifi, i have mine running for 3hrs flat without the thing dying, and with the battery dock connected i often stream to the player then output to the tv for a good 5-6 hrs with wifi. my friend who has the 604 wifi says he gets a good 3 hrs so i would suspect your battery may be on its last legs if its dying that quickly.
roy

i certainly dont expect archos to support us until the hell freezes. i just dont like archos completely neglecting gen4, as its not too old to do so.
and i think any archos user would want to talk about the negatives of the product rather than its positives.the most reviews are always there to talk about the positives.
if neglecting the old customers becomes a routine for a company then its obvious that the users have to always remind the company about their negatives through some forums like this.
why do u think any body should for that matter accept the negatives of the company???
its very obvious that we buy their products because we love it and so i feel its better to discuss about their negatives than positives.and i really dont feel the need of defending such strategy of any company.

and about the battery my archos is just a month older and its absolutely fine.it gives me a battery back up of 4 and a half hrs for video and nearly 12 hrs for audio. but the web browser lasts only for 1 and half hr. i have read in other posts and also in some reviews that its battery backup for web browser is max up to 1 and1/2 to 2 hrs under ideal settings. probably u and ur friend must be lucky fellows to get a back up of 3 hrs for web browsing. :o
RonanC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by RonanC »

suraj wrote:and about the battery my archos is just a month older and its absolutely fine.it gives me a battery back up of 4 and a half hrs for video and nearly 12 hrs for audio. but the web browser lasts only for 1 and half hr. i have read in other posts and also in some reviews that its battery backup for web browser is max up to 1 and1/2 to 2 hrs under ideal settings. probably u and ur friend must be lucky fellows to get a back up of 3 hrs for web browsing. :o

Try turning the backlight brightness down a notch and see if that improves the battery life. If you have the light up full then you can expect the battery to drain very quickly.
suraj
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by suraj »

i always keep the screen brightness completely low. i don think 99% of the customers wont be getting battery back up for web browser for more than 2 hrs.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

suraj wrote:yes i do understand that its a simple business trick.but ..

It's business, yet, but it's not a trick.

Nearly all consumer electronics companies radically reduce support for old products when they release new ones. This is not any kind of secret. Nobody is being deceived here.

There will always be people who want long-term support for their electronic products, and are prepared to pay for it; and there are a small number of companies who cater for this kind of customer. For example, I recently purchased a cable upgrade for my 20-year old Sennheiser headphones. I doubt very much that a pair of headphones from, say, Sony would even last 20 years, let alone be upgradeable. But Sony operates in the cheap, bulk end of the consumer market, and Sennheiser mostly operates in the other end.

You, the customer, get to choose where you spend your money. Now you know that Archos will not be adding new features to your unit when the next model comes out. You can use that information in your next purchasing decision.

This is called a free market, no?
Missionsparta

Post by Missionsparta »

How about someone hack the 704 os, and fix all of our broken 704's? You will be held as an "Archos God" if you are able to achieve something that the super brains, over at Archos, have not been able to achieve in two years.
grond
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by grond »

Missionsparta wrote:How about someone hack the 704 os, and fix all of our broken 704's?

What's broken about those 704s?
openAOS
mx344
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mx344 »

wow i really don't get ur point, ok let me tell you my past....

bout 2 years ago i paid 350$ on the sony mylo(com-1)- 100$ psp sold

so i was really happy of what it offered and after i had the PSP i saw that they updated there FW about every 1-2- months and it fixed something,so i figured that it would be the same for the mylo....big mistake...

i had it for 6 months and finally an update came out and i was the happiest person one earth but then i figured out that the update only made it compatible with vista...nothing in that 6 months.

1 years later.1.3 fw comes out and all it did was update the sound sonic thing(sony's version of itunes)i was so disappointed with sony then the mylo 2 came out and they updated it within the first month.with all this good stuff..but now i only use the mylo for google talk,and listening to music, because i can listen to it for 30+ hours non-stop.o well,dont feel to bad, its just buisness. :D
God saves!!
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

@ suraj, take off your battery and give the terminals a good clean, then gently scratch the player terminals with a key etc. batterys have a habit of becoming high resistance on the terminals (due to oxidisation on the terminals), this should hopefully remove any oxidisation and sort it out. as the wifi will be drawing much more current it probo will cause this problem. the 605 is a newer unit and has better battery life as would be expected, but for you only to get an hour with wifi i would suspect something is wrong. is the player running hot? even my 2yr old psp last longer than that with wifi!. maybe a call to archos support to get it repaired might fit the bill (if in warrenty that is)
roy

Return to “Open Development”