The 605 and Linux

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
modestmelody

The 605 and Linux

Post by modestmelody »

I'm seriously considering getting a new Personal Media Player and the Archos 605 looks right up my alley. Since I use Linux 100% of the time and the Archos units are supposed to be compatible, I was just wondering if someone had a list compiled of the features that are known to work on the Archos with Linux and those that don't work or are lackluster.

I guess I'm just seeking to get a better sense of what actual functionality I'll have with the Archos 605.

Thanks.
sensimilla
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sensimilla »

I use linux, and the only feature that doesn't work is the Windows Media Player file/library syncing which you need to play DRM'ed files. It seems like there may be some limited linux support for this feature (MTP) but I haven't even bothered with it.
You can just set the archos to work as a standard USB hard disk and just copy your files onto it. The player has an internal database that gets updated when you disconnect it or is updated manually.

The only other thing I can think of that needs windows is if you buy the DVR and you don't have a wifi network at home you need to use a piece of archos software to download the EPG and transfer it to the archos. This is windows only of course. However the 605 can update the EPG directly if you connect it to a wifi network.

The 605 does not play ogg, mkv or flac files.
605 30Gb + DVR
skeptic
Archos User
Archos User

Post by skeptic »

I also use Linux 100% for my personal stuff, although my work laptop is windows.

So far it's been TONS easier to use than the fiancee with her Zune. It looks like any other usb drive to Linux, I drag stuff across with no issues, etc. I do buy all my movies and music, then rip it and access it from a mythtv server, so the one little snag I've hit is I ripped some of my music as ogg files not mp3. Not a huge issue, but as mentioned above, the archos doesn't appear to support ogg. I don't buy music or movies online, so I don't know if that would be an issue, but I believe you can buy and dl directly to the 605 from the web so it wouldn't matter.
modestmelody

Post by modestmelody »

Thanks guys. So does Wi-Fi file transfer/syncing work?

Also, with no mkv, oog, flac support officially, is there anyway to hack the Archos to support these formats?
thethirdmoose
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by thethirdmoose »

Wi-Fi file transfer works in media server mode, over samba. It's not really worth it, imo.

Maybe now that the archos has been hacked we will get additional media support - keep your fingers crossed.

Return to “Open Development”