Found a way to get a free partial browser

Special Developer Edition Firmwares and Hacking on Archos 5 IT, 5/7 IMT, 605/705, with Android, ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux
scatman839
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Found a way to get a free partial browser

Post by scatman839 »

Although, chances are this will only work if you can gain access to the dailymotion site.

In the portal bit, select the dailymotion network.

Once you're in, I often kept seeing an advertisement for webcams or somesuch in the lower right, when I clicked it, it opened a new tab, and took me to the real dailymotion site.

Search google, one result should have 21 comment, it's something about google maps, click a link there, and presto, you're in google maps, and thus google.

The one major problem aside from not being able to type a URL is that you can't seem to actually close a tab, and once it reaches 5 you can't do much else.

It is however, a barely functional free browser.

Now I wonder what the chances are this'll get fixed in the next update.
Last edited by scatman839 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
niron
Archos User
Archos User

Post by niron »

Works great for me !!
scatman839
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by scatman839 »

Found out a way to close tabs?

That's the main limiting factor.
niron
Archos User
Archos User

Post by niron »

hmmm...NO, but i surf all the web...and things work just fast.
I went to youtube.com and it says i don't have flash, so i went to Adobe site and it offers flash download for linux, i wonder what would happened once i download and install it...

I also went to Opera.com, and it offers the last opera web browser for linux to download, i wonder what happens once i d/l and install this one.
scatman839
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by scatman839 »

I believe nothing would happen, the player can't exactly run exe files, or linux executables.

So, it also skips out flash player.

Some videos will stream though.
niron
Archos User
Archos User

Post by niron »

ok...good point, though the file is packed in tar.
btw, i just wrote this comment threw the Archos 605 :lol:
auzieblogger
Archos User
Archos User

Post by auzieblogger »

just tried , works just as well ....
--- displays "plugin content" text on any flash content for me ..
--- seems slowish to load some images
--- google maps/mail really slow
--- navigation isn't really a breeze

I was thinking of buying the browser plugin, but I guess this is a good way of evaluating stuff before buying it.
605 4GB
scatman839
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by scatman839 »

Well it's Christmas and no doubt people got some new 605's for it, so i'm giving this a bump to let the new people know about this.
niron
Archos User
Archos User

Post by niron »

too late scatman,
Archos already canceled this configuration...
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

I think it is really childish of them. It was just a way that people could test the browser. I mean you had reduced functionality, so if you liked it you bought it anyway.
Now you no they are also reading this forum and one should be carefull of placing some hacks here. I wish they were so responsive to other issues ie the wishlist.

BTW i bought the browser because that's one of the reason i bought my 605 wifi. I also did know that you could work around it this way (knew it before scatman839 posted this topic), but with the reduced dunctionality it is no fun.

Maurice 8)
pyros66
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hmm

Post by pyros66 »

I think I found anotherway to use browser... and I stumbled on it by accident.
I was at a truck stop today eating supper and I pulled out my 605 to show my mom, well I started talkin about the wifi and I turned it on and walla, it found a wifi connection.. well when I connected to the content portal it came up with the opera browser then took me to the truckstops website saying I had to pay 12$ a month to access their wifi services ... it asked to login to the page with a user/name password .. I click on the links to other pages and it took me to another webpage saying I had to pay or login again.. but it was clearly a whole different page .. and the while I click on the links to see if I could get off their site I noticed the whole time the brwoser was downloading links from the page... could this be another bug? Confused the hell outta me really. Comments?
pyros66
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pyros66 »

to comment on my last post.. couldnt' you do some sort of setup like this with your home wifi but put links to all your favorite sites or something on the page? .. I dunno.. just rambling..
kdx
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kdx »

Why not just spend the $30 and get something that works and also support continued development.
chungeez
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by chungeez »

kdx wrote:Why not just spend the $30 and get something that works and also support continued development.

agreed, except i don't feel like i can trust archos to do "continued development". those $30 are going into a bottomless pit in bolivian =)

but as long as you're ok with that, the $30 browser is a good buy.
johnnyvdberg
Archos User
Archos User

Worth a try

Post by johnnyvdberg »

I might have another hack for this:
If you connect through your pc to the internet, you could change the hosts file from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts so it connects to like google when it connects to the content portal. I haven't tried this yet but it should work :p
davgonzalez1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by davgonzalez1 »

i'm trying to do this, and i am in the etc folder, but i have no knowlegde of what i should do. I opened up all of the files including host with notepad but i don't know what to do from there :?:
johnnyvdberg
Archos User
Archos User

Post by johnnyvdberg »

davgonzalez1 wrote:i'm trying to do this, and i am in the etc folder, but i have no knowlegde of what i should do. I opened up all of the files including host with notepad but i don't know what to do from there :?:

Ok, I don't know which URL the device uses to access the content portal, but if we know you should add it like this:
(link to content portal) (a tab between the 2 links) (the link you want)
so for example:
archos.com www.google.nl
This means whenever you connect to archos.com it redirects to google
So we need someone to figure out what link it uses to connect to the content portal and we should have access to all the internet :D
davgonzalez1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by davgonzalez1 »

davgonzalez1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by davgonzalez1 »

do i do this in the host file

#http://acp.archos.com/portal.html www.google.com#
johnnyvdberg
Archos User
Archos User

Post by johnnyvdberg »

davgonzalez1 wrote:do i do this in the host file

#http://acp.archos.com/portal.html www.google.com#

yes but without the # and it should be fine, remember it needs a reboot to take effect, we're pretty far now :D

Return to “Open Development”