after waiting some days to be able to log in, I finally made it and now I present you my self-made Tetris-clone.
Long, lameass text following, scroll down for the download link!
From beginning of development I always wanted it to run smooth on the Archos (605) and not to look fancy (so don't expect that) or have a lot of effects (yeah, you are getting disappointed now...), but to have full functionality (highscores, etc.).
I ran into a lot of problems due to the Archos' Flash Lite, oh well... I don't believe much in rumours, but it has been said that Flash 9 is on the way, which would be cool, because it fixes a lot of problems, but everyone interested in terms of programming should read the "programming" section at the end.
Now I release the current version to the public and I think it runs pretty good - compared to other games I tried (like the neave.com Tetris which is just unplayable...).
Enough said, have a list of functions:
- - diferent speed levels (who would have thought...)
- user is able to pause the game at any time
- the next block is shown
- score-, line and level-count
- runs pretty smooth
- simple, oldschool interface
- local highscore (challenge your friends!)
- physical button support or in-game buttons
- playable with or without the web-browser-plugin
- touchscreen controls!
- 2 view modes: normal + rotated (by 90┬░)
- NEW! Online Highscore NEW!
- - another way to save the highscore (see "programming" section for details)
- improve tile (I-tile) rotation
- fix small lag after dropping a tile (before a new one is created) or clearing a row
- ...everything else you want to have (gamemodes anyone?)...
There are two versions available - one for those without the web-browser-plugin and one for everyone else who has bought it (well it's just an additional html-file with the embedded flash-game). This sounds cool and all, buuut each version has it's pro and cons (most of which I can't fix, sadly):
- + Highscore is saved - no matter what - until you format the HDD or delete the local files of the browser
- scaled down because of the status bars
- to be able to use the up/down-buttons to choose the level you have to click anywhere inside the game or play it at least once
- + runs slightly better (minor lags when you clear a row)
- highscore is not very stable, it is deleted every now and then and sometimes it does not save at all (again, tell me why, but it seems to be the same with the standalone flash player on my PC)
Programming: (you should only read this if you are forced to do so )
- - Flash Lite does not support "Broadcasters", which are used to provide a constant key-response (just hit a key and don't let go and you will see what i mean - there is a short lag after the first symbol), this does not matter really much while the Archos-Keys basically have this constant key-response (of course I noticed this after I programmed all the stuff, oh well...)
- I am saving the highscore using "SharedObjects" - this is the usual way, but it does not work dependably if you don't use the web-browser, another way is to save a txt-file via a php-script, but you have to have something like Apache running to get it to work and i doubt the Archos has something like this (but I don't tried it yet...)
- since the on-screen-keyboard does not show up in the Archos flash-player and I was too lazy to build my own, I had to come up with another idea to enter your name for the highscore list, so I used an oldschool 3-letter-button-clicky-thing (you will see what I mean ) and because I like it, there will be no input box for the web-brower version!
- - left/right arrow-keys to move the block
- up-key to rotate (clockwise)
- down-key to move down (yeah, no shit Sherlock!)
- OK-key to start game, pause/unpause and save highscore/go back
- arrow-key also control the level-chooser (up/down) at the beginning and the highscore-name-thing at the end (up/down/left/right)
- OR: use the touchscreen!
Have fun playing it, and the most important thing is: Tell me if you find any bugs, solutions of the problems mentioned above or if you have some improvements/additional features, interface improvements or anything else in mind - don't be shy , comments and criticism is always welcome, but this is my first big Flash/ActionScript work, so please don't punch me...
http://brainmash.piranho.de/tetris/index.php - always the latest version (also find an embedded version for testing here)
Final note: Don't rate it according to how it runs on your PC/MAC, it runs totally different (in matter of control) on the Archos!!!
Really final note: If you find a bug, it runs better or worse than on other users units, tell me your Firmware version, because it might have some influence (mine is 1.7.13).
Ultimate final note: In order that the game (newer version) can load the old highscores, the filename of the .swf file has to be identical to the old one, otherwise the browser is going to save the new scores in another file (just overwrite the old swf-file).
Edit 01: argh, the links are not working, I am on that...
Edit 02: Added temporary RapidShare-link, because my webspace is kinda fucked up...
Edit 03: Added another link, I hope it woks now
Edit 04: Added key-controls
Edit 05: Updated To-do-List
Edit 06: UPDATE - new version, fixes lags
Edit 07: HUGE UPDATE - new version, adds a lot, blah, etc.